Can a speed loader cause this problem?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
nagantino

Can a speed loader cause this problem?

Post by nagantino »

Last week I took part in a Cowboy Action day. Fantastic fun......but. My Rossi 73 octagonal barrel 24 inch, began to misbehave. Stage 1 required 10 rounds in the rifle stage. At the eighth round the gun was empty. I racked the lever and presumed I had not counted enough rounds into the tube. It happened again on the last stage but this time I knew I had loaded 10 rounds. We took the rifle to the workshop and opened the tube to find 2 rounds jammed in the tube. I used a tubular speed-loader device which has served me well for a while now. I load the gun smartly with some force. Is it the speedloader or has anyone had this happen without the use of a speedloader?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Can a speed loader cause this problem?

Post by akuser47 »

Have you replaced the follower or is it the yellow plastic one. Also if u push the follower into the magazine tube does it hang up anywhere? I would first remove the follower and spring and clean and lube the inside of the mag tube. While doing this see if it has a ruff spot inside it. I'm only brainstorming. Also is a an 1873 or an 1892 model I was unaware Rossi made 1873 models. Keep us posted +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
nagantino

Re: Can a speed loader cause this problem?

Post by nagantino »

Sorry, of course it's a 92. Yes the RO would not let me leave if I suspected a round was in the rifle. We opened the tube and inserted a stiff brush clean through. Nothing was obstructing the tube. The two rounds that came out showed some scarring on the lead. One round came out easily but the other needed to be pushed out with a little force. I loaded the rifle with 10 rounds on Saturday and it functioned normally.