R92 Shooting Way Too High

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
exdetsgt

Re: R92 Shooting Way Too High

Post by exdetsgt »

Archer, thank you for the clear explanation. I had never tried shooting beyond 50 yards.
Gaius

Post by Gaius »

As I said, I have the 92 in 38 with a 20 inch barrel. My friend bought his in 45 with a 16 inch barrel. I place the bead in the bottom "V" of the rear sight at 50, and my elevation is right on. When my friend was way too high, I thought what others said. He wasn't using they sight correctly. When I fired his rifle, also using the same sight alignment and picture that I used with my .38, I likewise got a very high group. Would a Marples sight fix this? i guess he could get a different front sight, put I don't know if that is what he wants to do.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I own two 357 oct barrel rifles, 1x20" and 1x24". I also own a 44 carbine. They all shot high and ran out the rear sight. I chose to swap all three out for marbels front sight, the 24" has a marbels ghost ring rear sight, the 20" has a Skinner rear sight and I run a red dot on the carbine.
There was no way for ME to make the factory sight work on all three. I guess I could have taken a Dremel to the rear sights on the rifles to save money.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Gaius wrote:As I said, I have the 92 in 38 with a 20 inch barrel. My friend bought his in 45 with a 16 inch barrel. I place the bead in the bottom "V" of the rear sight at 50, and my elevation is right on. When my friend was way too high, I thought what others said. He wasn't using they sight correctly. When I fired his rifle, also using the same sight alignment and picture that I used with my .38, I likewise got a very high group. Would a Marples sight fix this? i guess he could get a different front sight, put I don't know if that is what he wants to do.
Not sure if you ever got and answer or solved the problem, but for some reason the thread popped back up today. If you stick with the stock rear you'll need a taller front sight to bring the POI down. A tang rear sight might fix it also, I know my 20 inch octagon 45 Colt shoots fine with the stock front out to 100 yards (my range limit) and has more elevation available should I need it.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

Gaius wrote:A friend of mine has an R92 45LC which at 50 yards shoots way too high, say 8 to 10 inches from a bench rest. I fired it as well with the same results. There is no more adjustment left in the rear sight to compensate. Any thoughts? FWIW, my 92 in .38 is right on at 50.
It's not uncommon. This is excerpted from my article on a 2008 or so Rossi 45 Colt with a 16" barrel.
http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/little- ... n-45-colt/
The Puma’s factory sights were useless for anything but dinging tin outlaws at 40 feet. The front post was way too short and the rear notch was too wide for any precision; it shot a good 6” high at 25 yards. This rifle has oddball sight dovetails of about 0.385” which eliminates the myriad of good dovetail sights available for other rifles. So I cobbled on a Marble Folding Sporting Rear Sight No. 95, Brownell’s part #579-000-082, and the Marbles 50W .500 tall front sight, with a 1/16″ gold bead, Brownells part #579-105-031. While I don’t consider these sights ideal, they facilitated a good working zero.
btoran

Post by btoran »

why not have the guy holding the target just hold it a bit higher?
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

I had similar sighting issues with my first R92. I replaced the front sight with a taller one. My rear sight elevator now has plenty of adjustment up or down.

I believe I posted some details about the front sight replacement here somewhere. It wasn't too difficult. If I find the thread I'll link to it. The cost of the new sight was less the cost of wasted ammo due to improper sight adjustment.

Edit: Here is the link to my front sight replacement job...
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4669
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

btoran wrote:why not have the guy holding the target just hold it a bit higher?
If only it was this easy :lol:
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!