.38 special ejection problem

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Rossi 92 .357 UK

.38 special ejection problem

Post by Rossi 92 .357 UK »

Hi guys,

I've just had my Rossi 92 out for the second time, and I've noticed that it's not ejecting the spent brass clear of the breech, I've to date only ran .38 special through it, so don't know if .357 mag has the same issue (will try .357 next outing).
Has anyone else had this problem? If so is there a solution? If it's ok with .357, I'll just use .357 but won't be out with it again until next month. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks +guns +guns :D :D
kyron4

Re: .38 special ejection problem

Post by kyron4 »

Is the ejector stuck in the bolt ? I've heard burs on the ejector head can make the ejector stick in the bolt and not work properly.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yes check the ejector on the bolt face with the action open it should be able to be pushed in and spring back out on its own. If it's sluggish. Then maybe you need to flush it with some brake cleaner to remove grease that could be guming it up. Be sure to remove buttstock and use non chlorinated brake cleaner if you decide to flush it. Spray it into action until it runs clean and while your at it remove magazine spring and follower and flush barrel and magazine tube until it runs clean. Then use your gun oil and grease of choice and relube it all. These like to be well lubed be sure to get it in there. Then report back. If you've done this already report in on it. +corn keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Rossi 92 .357 UK

Cheers,

I'll give it a strip down the weekend and see if I can sort the problem
Rossi 92 .357 UK

I should add that it ejects an unfired round no problem and ejects it with force
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rossi 92 .357 UK wrote:I should add that it ejects an unfired round no problem and ejects it with force
Yeah, might be a bit of grease or carbon at the shot that binds it. If it has been flushed of that stuff, might need a bit of fitting as the heat generated at the shot could swell the parts if there is minimum clearance in fit.
Michael
Mauser69

Post by Mauser69 »

You do not say if it is a new or used gun, but either way it should be fairly simple to identify the problem - there is really only two moving parts to look at (four, if you count the spring and the collar). Stock R92s are well known to have an overly strong ejector spring that sends the empties two counties over, so your problem indicates something is definitely broken or not fitting correctly.

The most obvious is that the claw extractor has to properly slip over the top of the rim and have good purchase on the rim. Anything wrong with that claw and it will not hold the brass in place against the bolt long enough for the ejector to pop it up and away.

The ejector is simply a spring loaded plunger that pushes the bottom left of the case forward, and as soon as the lip clears the top of the breach, it should pop out - if it does not work with a .38, I can't see how it would work any differently with a magnum. Two things to check - first, make sure that ejector face has not been modified - it should have a rim around the edge that supports the case head. If it is completely flat, it may have been modified or replaced incorrectly. You can see pictures of this and detailed discussions of the ejector in other threads here. Secondly, make sure that ejector is sticking a but further forward from the face of the bolt - reach in there with your finger and be sure you have decent spring pressure when you try to push it back flush with the bolt face as a loaded case would do. If there is no strong spring pressure, you have found your problem.

You need to remove the bolt to inspect the installation of the ejector. It has a long shaft, on which sits a little round collar and the spring. That collar just seems to barely catch on a little part of the bolt - always seems like a pretty strange and weak design to me, but it usually works just fine. The collar does have a bevel on one end - I do not remember which way it goes on, but it seems logical that they would not bevel it if it was not important. If nothing is broken there, make sure you have a good spring. If your gun is used, maybe the PO simply replaced it with with junk while trying to keep his empties closer?

If the spring is good and the ejector is properly assembled, you should be able to test it without putting the bolt back in the gun. Just slip an empty case under the extractor and pull down on the lip to push the ejector back flush with the bolt face, then let it go, and it should fly up and away (be careful to hold your hand under that spring and collar to prevent losing anything it it pops loose). In fact, holding an empty case in place like that is the same technique you will need to easily reassemble the bolt in the gun - that pressure on the ejector spring is what holds it properly in place while you put it together.