Stiff action *opening* bolt?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Stiff action *opening* bolt?

Post by GRV01 »

Im having a strange problem on my 357 M92 20" round. Its shot fine over two hundred rounds. But recently i finally got around to the brake cleaner flush and relube. The next time i took it to the range the spent cases seemed to be ejecting much more weakly, barely clearing the receiver. The action felt weird but i chalked it up to just short stroking it. Took it home and cleaned it and out it away

I removed it from the soft case to fart around with some snap caps i had made (case and bullet, no powder or primer) to check COAL setting on my Lee Loader and to admire its lovely plum looking finish when i noticed the action is noticably difficult to open when moving the lever forward but *only* when the hammer is not down (in other words, half cock or hammer up). If i power through with the lever (mind you, no real exertion needed but more stiff than it should be or was just weeks before) *or* if i manually cock the hammer it cycles just fine and normally

Did i foul up a spring or something? Cant yet remove the stock because of work, but wondering if youve noticed something familiar? I searched the forum a few pages but only founds threads related to stiffness out the box, not after 200 rounds :(
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Stiff action *opening* bolt?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Try lubing it and running it wet. Maybe not dripping and slobbering :D but wetter than you might otherwise.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Pull the butt and check the hammer spring and strut for proper alignment.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

GasGuzzler wrote:Pull the butt and check the hammer spring and strut for proper alignment.
Checked, compared it to all my other 92s and looked fine but i did notice that it seems the lever is "too low" in the receiver. Compared to the others the leading edge of the lever protrudes from the bottom of the receiver noticeably and the lock bolts especially extend much more than the others

Theres no play in it though and ive never messed with the internals except to remove the buttstock and spray/relube so i dont believe its come loose somehow. Not sure where to go from here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No thin chicks
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

When you blast out the grease and oils with break cleaner you need to relube it as stated above. Get it oiled then try working the action more. Hopefully she settles down. I haven't seen the locking lugs stick out that far before either you may need to take her apart to give her a good once over on the internals and the cartridge guides. Keep us posted +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

As has been said make certain to get the lubricant into the nooks and crannies of the working parts.
The lever/pivot pin interfaces, the locking lugs at the rear of the bolt, the lever lock detent and the ejector so that none of those parts are bare metal on metal. The bolt to frame races aren't as important as you think they are but get those also.

Don't use WD-40, use a persistent lube. I haven't blasted mine out but brushed and wiped them out and relubed with Slip 2000 EWL. If using a spray I might try Ballistol.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

I find that ordinary CLP, like the kind you can find at a wally world seems to keep action parts running smoothly. I don't generally clean up an action with brake cleaner as I think it removes too much from between moving parts. Also a little grease on guide rail of bolt and on top of hammer that bolt rides over can really smooth things out. No need to over do on grease, just a light film.

I have a buddy who has equally good results with the Ballistol.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
JRexA

Post by JRexA »

Make sure that the rear of the hammer doesn't bind against the hammer strut/hammer spring.

It did that on mine, after a total dismantling and reassembly.
I took the hammer out, and removed aprox 2mm (0.08")from the rear of the hammer, where it was pressing on the strut.

I also did the brake cleaner cleaning, and after that, I liberally lubed it, with an industrial PTFE High Pressure Spray Grease, that has an operating temp, from around -30c to +240c.

After the relubing, and removal of excess lube I cycled it a couple of 100 times(maybe 500...) and then it was smooth and easy to operate.
Happy Shooting from Greenland
Jesper Rex
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

forgot to give an update on this thread, so I took the great advice here, pulled the stock again and relubed the everloving out of it and now she's running fine. Those lugs are still hanging low, but it shoots and ejects so im not worried about it overmuch

thanks all
No thin chicks
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Great to hear, and thanks for updateing the post +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!