Used 44 Octagon -- Trials & Tribulations

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
dionesius3

Re: Used 44 Octagon -- Trials & Tribulations

Post by dionesius3 »

When you live in higher humidity regions this happens often even without washing the case first. I despise soft zip up rifle cases for this very reason. Never use them lest this kind of thing happen.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I've never washed any of soft cases. That's probably why some of them are kind of ratty :) . I figure the oil that soaked into them over time has likely displaced all the moisture, but then I don't live in the coastal SE. I did wash a couple of those gun "socks" once, they got Frog Lube on them and warm summer temps they got rancid. They actually shrunk ;) they still fit a 10/22 but not much else. And no more Frog. I'll stick to CLP and Balistol.

If the rust isn't too deep, mostly surface, stop at a hardware and get a copper plumbing fitting ( I usually use an end cap ) oil up the rusty area and use gentle circle motion to rub the copper on the rust. Depending you may have to wipe the oil and reapply but it takes of the rust and for the most part leave the finish. You can use a penny if you can find one that is actually made of copper, maybe pre-73. I'm sure there's a coin collector here that can tell us.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have to say I'm in the camp that's never washed a gun case. Shook them out, vacuumed them but never ever washed one. IF I even got one wet with rain water it'd be emptied and left to dry for days or weeks probably hit with a hair dryer from the inside out.
I try not to leave guns IN gun cases. I have moved to gunsocks for some bump resistance in the home defense locker but I'm not particularly happy with those either. Of course I currently live in the desert.

Back when I lived in GA I not only kept the guns out of cases but I always kept a coat or three of paste car wax on them.
That helped prevent both rust AND any lingering finger print oils etching the finish and gave a bit of weather resistance.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I use gun socks sprayed in silicone it's worked for me for a long time. I have a Browning gold hunter shotgun that has deep blueing loosk like black chrome. If I leave it out of its sock it starts to rust. So socked it stays unless I go clay shooting or bird hunting. If I do use a soft case the gun is wearing its sock inside the case.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Deleted User 2964

Post by Deleted User 2964 »

Zip up cases or for to and from not for long term storage.
jehu

Post by jehu »

SixGun Sounds wrote:Zip up cases or for to and from not for long term storage.
THIS!! I've seen too many guns damaged by being left in a case. Guns need to be where air can circulate around them, even then keep a good coat of oil on them. Balistol is the best I've used for extended storage.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Range day this morning; Lots to report. It shoots! Started off right from the top with 44mag factory rounds, 240gr Winchester JSP. It kicks but still manageable, and after 25 rounds of 44mag, and 25 of 200gr Fiocchi SJHP 44SPL i was still good to go, though as they say, i still know i shot it this morning.

Speaking of 44spl what a difference, it felt like a compressed air gun from that 24" heavy octagon, wifeys gonna love it, though ill have to keep her away from mag for now.

Everything cycles fine but the factory COAL for 44spl was too short and would jam up or eject weakly. Im not worried about it, mag is fine, and once i buy dies i can adjust COAL as needed

Im up in the air about the Skinner sight and so was my grouping. All grouped well and in the centerline but at 20yds at my indoor range that group was nearly a foot high from bullseye. I can adjust elevation ofcourse but i need to learn how, and the previous owner didnt get any of the adjustment tools from the first owner. The aperture size, ehh, i dunno. Little too small i think? Still not sure, need more range time :)

All in it was a good experience. It was my first time firing any octagons and i do like them but im thinking 24" may be a little too long. I wish it had been a 20. Reloading supplies in 44mag will be on order over the next few weeks :D

RE Soft cases: they're not ideal no, but i live in a small apartment and am moving soon, so for now proper gun storage isnt in the cards, but def looking forward to it
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Great to hear, and if she is grouping well next is to dial the sights into the poi. I'm not fimiliar with the sights to advise on the adjustment. I also would try it at 50 yard and 100 yards before you touch them unless 20 yards will be your max range. Keep us posted. +corn +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
JRexA

Post by JRexA »

With that grouping, it is my guess, that they put on a Skinner Rear Sight, but kept the Rossi standard front sight.

Skinner mentions, that for Rossi 92's, you typically need a higher front sight, when you are using a Skinner Peep

From the info on their Web Page, I guess, that it is ½" tall
The sight of my Rossi is aprox 3/8" tall, from the barrel, to the tip of the sight.

http://www.skinnersights.com/rossi_firearms_23.html
Look for Picture 3: Rossi Front Sight
Happy Shooting from Greenland
Jesper Rex
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

JRexA wrote:With that grouping, it is my guess, that they put on a Skinner Rear Sight, but kept the Rossi standard front sight.

Skinner mentions, that for Rossi 92's, you typically need a higher front sight, when you are using a Skinner Peep
Youre exactly right. Ive read the Skinner sights page at least a dozen times and i missed that detail. The front sight on this one is still the stock brass bead from factory.

In any case after much deliberation ive realized a few things about the rifle: 1) i love the octagons as much as i thought i would, 2) i *dislike* the 24" barrel much more than i thought i would, 3) the recoil was much better than i thought itd be, 4) the crescent buttstock hurt much more than i thought it could. Not a sharp pain upon firing mind you, just that i still have two bruises on my shoulder, one right above the other. Furthermore, im not terribly interested in a 44mag pistol

For these reasons ive decided two things: 1) im buying a 20" 357 octagon as soon as i can find one or Taurus rereleases them, and 2) im selling this 44.

New thread coming soon regarding my plans for a "baby big bore" and thanks for all the input folks
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")