Used 44 Octagon -- Trials & Tribulations

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Used 44 Octagon -- Trials & Tribulations

Post by GRV01 »

Got a lead on a used Rossi 92 octagon (dont yet know year) in 44mag. Im still waiting to make contact with the owner but the price is right and so are the pictures. Im familiar now with what to look for (mostly) on a regular round barrel 92 but this could be my first Octagon. Is there anything specific to fit and finish that differs from a round barrel that i should look for? How should the fore end cap fit on the wood and magtube? How should the muzzle crown look on an oct? Etc

Further, all my Rossis are 357, so anything specific to 44mag would be helpful, for example i read here a thread about poor mag tube fit, cracks in forend and so on from heavy recoil.

I really hope it comes together, especially with Octs being discontinued. id hate to find one only to get it to the range and its a braztech lemon that i cant even send to the factory, but then again i really dont want to wait until Taurus decides they want octagon barrels again (not holding my breath) either. Thanks all
Last edited by GRV01 on 10 May 2017 13:18, edited 1 time in total.
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Used Octagon -- What to look for?

Post by zippy »

On my oct. 24" .357, the tang is drilled and tapped for a tang mounted sight, and came with a longer screw in a ziplock bag, to use if one were added. Couldn't hurt to ask if it comes with it.

Good luck.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

The crown will look pretty much the same as a round barrel crown except a bit more "meat" around it. Look at all the usual Rossi things, you might ask why he's parting with it. I believe they cracking forearms were do to less than perfect fit that stress the mystery wood, the solution seems to be to remove it and take the thine section out between the barrel and tube and maybe relieve the channels if you see any tight spots.

I'd be looking for one if I hadn't found and bought my project gun this week end. Got a Marlin 336CS in 30/30 that looks un-shot and when the budget recoups it'll be off for conversion to a 38-55.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Good stuff. Made contact this morning, hes the second owner. First put less than 30 rounds through and gave up, he bought it and moved back west to use as a lighter companion to his Marlin 45-70 but life happened and forced him to move back and he needs the money. He put less than a hundred rounds through it, says its his first Rossi and had no FTF or FTE though he didnt try 44SPL.

Im excited, road trip on Thursday to check it out, hes barely over 100mi from me. Did i mention he put a Skinner sight on it? :D
No thin chicks
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Good luck, enjoy the trip.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Got back this morning, 90 minutes there, 120ish back, not too bad. Cool guy, stood there for almost a half hour chatting after the sale in the parking lot of a Publix :) He even gave me the soft case he had with it

The guns in great shape. A little dirty and my Rossi Rifleman Eye has gotten good enough to know neither he nor the previous owner did the ol' brake-cleaner-and-relube but in great shape nonetheless. The Skinner sight is great, cant wait to shoot it, may have to order a slightly larger aperture for it.

Unfortunately work happened so i wont be able to shoot it for a week. Gives me plenty if time to clean and cycle the hell out of it. Pics coming soon!
No thin chicks
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Well done.

Make smoke,
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Sweet.

When I bought my waffle top the seller said he hadn't shot it just cleaned it. Well, it wasn't clean and it wouldn't shoot as the firing pin was broken. :(
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Glad to hear your deal was good. I await the range report. Keep us posted +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Used 44 Octagon -- Trials & Tribulations

Post by GRV01 »

I knew i jinxed it when mentioned it looked great -- opened up the soft case to show my BIL and it was soaked in condensation. So much so the mag tube end cap and parts of muzzle rusted!

Its my fault, i washed the soft case and ran it through the dryer once but i guess it wasnt 100% dry. I cleaned the gun and sprayed it out anf relubed and wiped it down so theres no way it was there and i missed that rust amd when i put it back in the case that residual moisture pulled out and collected on rifle for three days :(

In any case, range day tomorrow. Updates soon
No thin chicks