Skinner sight.

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
jstanfield103

Re: Skinner sight.

Post by jstanfield103 »

I have used Skinner sights on a couple of my Marlin 1894's. They work well and on my 1894 I can use my original front sight. I have never used the barrel dovetail mounted version as of yet. May get one of those for my Taurus Thunderbolt 45 Colt and see how they go. I would think a big improvement on Skinners part would be have some regular brass bead front sights made up in different heights. That would be a big improvement from what they offer now. I do not use them on any other gun for that front sight reason. If I have to change the front sight out I use other options.

As far as the shipping goes, I do not understand either why some companies are charging so much. That is one reason I do not buy from Midway gun supplies. They are terrible on shipping, so I have never ever bought from them. I usually find it else where.
juliano191

Post by juliano191 »

Yeah you think you're getting a good deal, then you check out and get hammered with shipping cost. Your good deal now just cost you same as another site. Not like we can do anything about and that makes it even more frustrating.
Retired New Jersey Police Sergeant
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

juliano191 wrote:Yeah I had assumed as much once receiving it but i thought the set screw actually did the adjusting. Not so. To actually have to hammer sight at small increments to get windage correct then tighten little set screw seems barbaric and prone to damage on the weapon. Should I hammer the sight out and dremel it thinner, thus making it slide in and out freely? Then tighten with set screw? Seems the only way to go. Thanks
I use a piece of nylon rod about 5/16" in diameter and a small hammer to drift sights if the rod slips it doesn't damage the gun. I personally wouldn't thin the dovetail you could wind up with the set screw being the soul point of contact on the bottom.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
juliano191

Post by juliano191 »

Good point Ohio. I have a beass punch set, with suffice ?
Retired New Jersey Police Sergeant
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Brass will work, sometimes it'll leave a little brassing but that will clean off. Gentle taps ;) .

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Ohio3Wheels wrote: Gentle taps ;) .

Make smoke,
Truth. I ordered a cheapy brass punch set for gunsmithing online to change my rear sights and boy did it have a bunch of negative reviews from people complaining the punches were so soft then bent on first use.

My own successful experience getting my sights swapped with that set confirmed my suspicion: those people were beating the hell out of it
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")