Can't decide which 45 Colt

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
okstatefan

Can't decide which 45 Colt

Post by okstatefan »

Background: I've had a .357 stainless trapper for a few years now. It is easily one of my favorite firearms. I keep it matched with either a GP100 or a Security Six. I had to clean it up, slick it up, and ease the metal around the loading gate. I also refinished the stock. No problems at all after getting it right. Needless to say, I just love it.

So a while back I picked up a Blackhawk 45 Convertible 4.62" that is blued. Although for plinking I generally use 45 acp, I carry hot Colt loads in the brush. I'm wanting to get a lever action to match it as well.

What I can't decide is stainless vs blued. My only REAL concern is that if the metal around the loading gate is as sharp as my trapper was, I won't be able to ease it as well. However, blued would sure look good next the the Blackhawk; and both would generally be carried together. I haven't owned a blued rifle since the 80's, and that was an older Marlin 30-30.

Then I have to decide 16" vs 20". Having never handled a 20", I don't have much of a point of comparison. I dang sure want it to be handy both on the ground and in the truck.

My last concern is it looks like I'll either have to order online, or play a very patient game. I was able to get my 357 trapper local; but the days of finding an M92 on the shelves around here have been over for quite a while.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Can't decide which 45 Colt

Post by GRV01 »

Here ya go. They call me the Finder.
http://shop.millerrodandgun.com/catalog ... cturer=189

Okay, so nobody calls me that, but i do like digging up NIB Rossi's from around the net waiting for a home. Its my therapy, keeps me from buying more for myself
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I'm a big fan of the 20" barrel length. I've shot a few 16" 92s and 94s and while they are handy I personally don't feel it buys ME very much the way I use them. I have been told and I will concede that a 16" gun can be a lot easier to jump out of a vehicle (or back into one) with but at present isn't one of my concerns.
I have both a 24" Octagonal 92 and a 24" round barrel 94 and I find them a tiny bit sluggish compared to the 20" guns.

I've also got a 18" BLR .308 and a 18.5" Marlin 1895 .45-70. Both seem to be pretty good but I don't think I'd want to go shorter with either of them. I got a great deal on the BLR but if there'd been the same deal on a 22 inch version sitting right next to it I'd have jumped that way. As for the Marlin, it's for heavy stopping power in the brush and while I'd not begrudged it another inch and a half to 4 inches I'm not that concerned about it.

Of course personal preferences are just that and I've met folks here who swear by the 16" 92s.
Last edited by Archer on 16 Apr 2017 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

I tend to prefer the 16" barrels. Just seem to point more naturally for me and they weigh less.

I would go with blue to match, myself. On the other hand, I have a stainless Vaquero in .45 and I am going to go with the stainless in 16" to match LOL
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
okstatefan

Post by okstatefan »

It looks like the tax man is going to delay my purchase by a few months. I guess that'll give me time to stock up on reloading supplies.