454 Casull

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
OutdoorMD

454 Casull

Post by OutdoorMD »

Hi Guys,
I am an outdoor enthusiast, hunter and shooter from the Pacific NorthWest (Vancouver Island). Look forward to using this site.

I recently acquired a Rossi 92 stainless 16" in 454 Casull. It has quickly become my favorite little brush rifle and it packs a punch when needed. Curious though, one guy I was talking with said he had nothing but problems with his 92 in the same caliber after shooting 300gr loads. He didn't define what the "serious problems" were and I didn't have time to ask. But it got me thinking.... I had not heard of any known issue with the rifle. I understand its just one guy's experience. Have had any issues with yours with heavy loads?

Mine shoots wonderfully. I use H110 and 300gr XTP Mag to 1750fps+. Looking forward to a spring bear hunt in a couple of weeks! :D

PS tried to do a search on here for "454" and for some reason my search comes up with zero results. None of the posts on the 454 in the first 20 pages (and there were only a few) discussed this so thought I would post.

Cheers!
GasGuzzler

Re: 454 Casull

Post by GasGuzzler »

Welcome. Check the bottom of the page for related topics if using a PC.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

OutdoorMD wrote:HPS tried to do a search on here for "454" and for some reason my search comes up with zero results. None of the posts on the 454 in the first 20 pages (and there were only a few) discussed this so thought I would post.
I just figured out there is actually a tool I can use to add a "Admin/Moderator" message so here it is.

[mod="Ranch Dog"]There is a bit of logic to a search engine. 454 is probably too common a word to return a result just like "the" or any other short word. I tried "454 Casull, " and the search engine returned 1,241 posts with the two words.[/mod]
Now to rifle business. I cast a bullet of my design for my 454, a 330-grain round, flat nose, and the only thing there was a problem with was cartridge feed. Whoever put this rifle together did an awful job. At my expense, I was able to purchase new cartridge guides (both left & right) and dressed the fit myself. The assembler had taken to much metal off of them and had made that cut too far forward. A rookie mistake.

This past year, I was prepping my rifle for a plains mule deer hunt and had a case separation that caused me to switch the rifle out with my Rossi Rio Grande chambered in 45-70 Govt. I was short on time and didn't want another failure in the field. This was with one-time reload on Starline brass. I'm pitching that bullet out of the barrel at 58K to 60K with Lil'Gun, a powder not known for its manners, and think it might have been a failure related to pressure. One-tenth of a grain can make a huge difference with this powder at these pressures, but the velocity is worth pushing as I had to plan on a 200-yard shot.

I had shot about 15 cartridges that morning before the separation, and when I went back and looked at the spent brass, I found another that should have done the same, so the incidence given the number was too high to take the rifle on the extended hunt.

The rifle is tight, and the spent brass looks good, so it is a bit of a puzzle. I do have pressure trace equipment, so once the ranch chores are past spring, I will do the load work with a strain gauge on the barrel so I can see what is going on.

I do wish that Rossi had used the SAAMI spec 1:24 twist rather than the 1:30 across all the models of 92; 357 Mag through 480 Ruger. Heck, as a hunter chunking heavy cast bullets, I would have been plum happy with a 1:20 for all the barrels. Having that the Rio Grande, the difference I see between the two cartridges is accuracy. The 45-70 Govt's 1:20 is better at spitting bullets downrange than the 92. In that, the rifles weigh the same; I honestly have never been able to make a case for the 454 over the 45-70.

My rifle is configured as a "scout".

Michael
GSB4243

Post by GSB4243 »

I have a 20" Blued 454 with probably 700 rounds through it. I don't reload (but I probably should). Outside of a good cleaning, I have not done anything special with mine, it feeds everything I've put into it (I usually use the tube), and it is my favorite.
Of the 700 rounds, I have very dominantly shot Hornandy XTP (probably 500 of the 700) and probably a 60/40 split between the 300gr and the 240gr. These are jacketed, hollow points. I have never had a loading or misfire with these.
I have also run a box or two of the Winchester Super X 250gr, Magtech 260gr semi-jacketed soft point, and Buffalo Bore 300gr. None of them had any issues either. I had one misfire with the Magtech's and they left the barrel a little dirtier.
Maybe I've been lucky with mine, but I definitely have over 300 rounds of 300gr bullets through it and I have no issues. Knock on wood...
woden

Post by woden »

I purchased a new 454 back in 2016 and had some problems with it splitting cases like described above. I finaly tried some differnt things and made the mistake of sending it back to Braztec for repair. You can read about it in the Customer Care experiances section of this blog. To make a long story short, they finally put on a new barrel. I received the gun back, it had a broken screw in it , a mismatched color screw in it, it was beat to hell, and would not feed anything, and to boot it still split cases. I have done much work on it and it still splits cases with Hornady 300 grain XTP mags. However, I believe this may be a brass issue because my reloads with 300 grain xtp mags and H110 so far are ok. The gun does not split cases with the Hornady 240 grain mags, whereas it did split those before. I replaced the ejector spring and filed the groves in the cartridge guides slightly. The gun is now slick as snot as they say. After tearing it down and putting it back toghether about 10 times I am almost there. I shot it last weekend and the forearm screw broke off, with a portion still sticking out far enough so that the band could not be removed. Back to the drawing board. I drilled the old remaining screw out back wards from the other side, reverse direction of screwing it in, and finally backed out the broken piece. Now the band is marred up from the drill but after some polishiing its ready for blueing and a new drill and tap for a real screw or bolt.

Several things I would advise just based on my limited experiance. (this is only based on having two of these guns) Don't send your gun to Braztec if you have problems. Work through them by reading on this blog, asking questions, or take to a competent gunsmith if you can find one that will work on these guns. The screws comming from Braztec currently are powdered pot metal and are brittle as glass. Replace with normal good american screws if you need to. Loads vary alot and your gun may handle loads that others do not or visse versa. The chamber dimesions on these seem to vary alot. Your ejector spring may be too strong which can actually cause headspace problems, like mine was; not to mention making the gun much harder to cycle. These guns appear to be load and/or bullet sensitive meaning that a different bullet weight combination can shoot way off (to a different point of impact) when compared to another (i.e. like 8.0 '' or more at 50 yards).

You may get one of the gems, I hope so. I have one in 45 LC (knock on wood) that needed nothing done to it and no problems.

Good Luck
OutdoorMD

Post by OutdoorMD »

Hey guys thanks for the replies. Going to read through this tomorrow just wanted to say I appreciate your time. Had my daughters b-day and work to take care of and now the pillow is calling my name! Have a great night.