When was she born?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: When was she born?

Post by akuser47 »

I agree also you generally don't have to share the whole serial number either so your gun is still safe.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Original owners of 70's and 80's era Rossis are few and far between. It's also been proven Rossi did not make guns by numeric order of serial numbers. As stated, look for date stamps on the parts.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
leverguy357

Post by leverguy357 »

I can offer K015xxx (My guess late 70's to early 80's)
Barrel markings include:
Interarms Alexandria Virginia
Amedeo Rossi SA
Model 92 SRC
.38 SPL - .357 MAG
Made In Brazil

Both the stock and lower tang have a 332 stamped on them.

I understand that original owners are hard to come by, but we only need a few to get the ball rolling. It's quite an interesting puzzle?
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Pics help too. Mine has five digits stamped that very obviously make a date, Julian style or month/year. Either interpretation puts mine in 1987. And it looks like 1987 with the wood color.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
leverguy357

Post by leverguy357 »

Although anecdotal, this is what I have found so far Googling:

The K pre-fix began in 1976.

K002810 = 1978 or 79'

K020xxx = 1980 + or - 1

K043xxx = 1986

K067xxx = 1991

Hopefully someone can offer a few more?!!!!!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

K024.....

They're not made in order.
leverguy357

Post by leverguy357 »

Yes that's is peculiar. I would love to see some more numbers and years. Why would any company not order their production chronologically? Doesn't make any sense to do that. Would cause utter confusion.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I think it's because they're imported. Also I thinks it's because they're loose copies of Win1894 but with some metric parts, etc. so there were running changes. I think they'd make up a pile of parts then stop making parts for while only assembling as needed for sales.

Just guessing but they could have had serialed receivers sitting around for years before being built into a rifle. That rifle could sit for years before being imported. Another rifle right next to the other could have gone from forge to a US store in a matter of weeks.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

You will actually find something similar in Smith & Wesson weapons.
Date of manufacturer and date of shipment/sale can be years apart and out of order.
Smith simply didn't practice first in first out (FIFO) for a large part of their history
As GG speculates Smith actually was known to make up production batches that were then warehoused until they got a shipping order. Stuff in the back of the inventory tended to stay there while newer items came and went.

Modern manufacturing scheduling works differently.
It simply does not pay given today's tax rules in this country to have inventory on hand that is not going to be sold in a timely fashion.
Bookings at the major trade shows at the first of the year determine production goals for given models.
If there's little or no interest shown in a particular model then production is limited or curtailed.
If there's overwhelming interest it may be that the manufacturer(s) figure people are making stupid orders and it tends to mess with the system. That was what happened during the Obama years. Too many stores that NEVER sold ARs suddenly ordering more than they could pay for, trying to book several hundred.

Not sure about the rules in Brazil with regard to taxes, inventory and manufacturing but they also have to deal with international transport and our import and ATF regulations on top of their own. PLUS for a long time Rossi made guns not only under their own name but under several other importer's markings.
Not much wonder that dates might not make sense.
leverguy357

Post by leverguy357 »

You guys bring up some excellent points. I guess the other thing I find perplexing is the lack of record keeping on Rossi's part as well as InterArms. It's like this huge void of information. Nobody knows nothin'. I guess there could be reasons for that too.

So I guess the only hope is that some more of those original owners speak up.

Who doesn't love a good mystery!!