Rossi 92 12 inch barrel

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Carlsen Highway

Rossi 92 12 inch barrel

Post by Carlsen Highway »

HI guys, I am looking at getting a Rossi 92 with a 12 inch barrel - a proper baby carbine or ''trapper''.
The one I am looking at is stainless steel, which I dislike because it is too chrome and shiny for a hunting rifle.
What process can I use to blue or blacken a stainless steel rifle? Is there something I can do myself or would I have to send it away to someone for a proper job done?
I believe that cerrakote is done around here, (I cant buy gunkote myself though)

I just want a normal blued-looking black colour.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Rossi 92 12 inch barrel

Post by GRV01 »

I think itd be easier or more efficient to buy a Ranch Hand and put a standard 92 stock on it

Mind the legality of a Short Barreled Rifle
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Bisleyblackhawk .45

Post by Bisleyblackhawk .45 »

I've seen Cerrakote done in a dark grey (almost black) that really looked good on a 94 Winchester...that would be the best option on changing color on stainless...I've seen stainless Ruger revolvers bead blasted to a mat grey color which looks good and would remove the shiny on a hunting rifle...

Hopefully in NZ you don't have the ridicules "short barrel rifle" restrictions we have here in the US...like GRV01 stated in the above post, if the Rossi Ranch Hand is available there, that might be one way to go if a replacement rifle stock is readily available to change out...

No mater what...a 12 inch rifle in a pistol caliber would be outstanding +guns ...I'm jealous :mrgreen:
"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Carlsen Highway

They dont sell the ranch hand or mares leg versions here, but they do sell a 12 inch barrelled carbine which is perfectly legal.

I am interested because Winchester used to sell a lot of 12 - 14 - 15 inch barrelled carbines to South America, plainly for people to do exactly what I do - a lot of backpacking in the rainforest. I think it would be a perfect backpacking gun, and all it has to do is be accurate enough for a deer out to 50 yards. I have only seen them advertised in .44 Magnum.

This is a poor photo, but what they look like:
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

That's pretty cool, and I hope someday the USA will relax the sbr and sbs laws.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Are the 44s available blued? Might I suggest .44 Specials as a path to happiness?
Carlsen Highway

That's is my problem, I want a blued one, and they only have stainless.
I am happy with .44 magnum as the calibre, I can load it down to .44-40 if I want to as I have dies and can reload myself...(I have a .44-40 already too)
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

CeraKote can work but IMO you need someone who knows what they are doing to get a uniform thin coat with uniform reflectivity. They do make a clearcoat for use over flat colors and maybe a gloss clear as well, not sure.
Buddy of mine is about to do his in grey I think.
I'm going to keep my stainless as is for now. I'd probably bead blast it if I wanted to matt it.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Just go to a metal finishing shop have them use a blaster with walnut or conventional media to cause the stainless to be a matte stainless. Problem solved remove ur wood n buttstock it should fit into most shops blast cabinet. Just brain storming. Be sure to seal your barrel at chamber and muzzle if u do this.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
kingstrider

Post by kingstrider »

That's funny, I'm building a SBR and wanted the stainless version for my host. Still waiting on the stamp but threaded it for use with a can in the interim. FWIW all my lever guns are stainless and have never had a problem using them for hunting. Deer don't seem to mind what color the gun is, they die the same.