Help identifying this damage(?)

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Help identifying this damage(?)

Post by GRV01 »

Hello folks, so i have an issue on my new Rossi. Well, it was manufactured in 2014 but im the first owner which may help explain whats going on. Ive owned this rifle for only a few months and its my first firearm purchase ever. Im still developing that discerning eye that can spot something wrong quickly (and still learning to clean the damned thing as youll no doubt notice too)

Anyway at the range i had a strange feed error with two consecutive 357 JSP but none before or after. Setting that issue aside while trying to find the problem i noticed what appears to be a huge gouge at '12 oclock' on the chamber mouth that does *not* look right. Is that from the factory? Or did i get swindled on my "new" gun?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
GasGuzzler

Re: Help identifying this damage(?)

Post by GasGuzzler »

There has been a few posted lately with "hand fitted" chambers.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Any chance of getting a picture without the glare?
Michael
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

No sorry no pics until im home from work

And i think i take your meaning: some overeager, underenthused workman at Braztech that by golly will make it fit or--oh, lunchtime
No thin chicks
Mauser69

Post by Mauser69 »

That "gouge" on top is simply where the extractor claw fits in to slip up over the top of the rim when you close the bolt. All normal there.

You did not explain your feed error, but that could be something as simple as your holding the rifle pointed straight up or rolled over to the right side while you jack the lever (trying to control how far away the empties fly out with the STRONG stock ejector spring). If it is pointed too far up, the gravity does not help to hold the new shell in the carrier at the correct angle, and it can then jam into the top of the chamber as you try to close the bolt.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Look at the fourth post in this thread for a clear picture of some of the machining in the chamber mouth area.

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5358
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Mauser69 wrote:That "gouge" on top is simply where the extractor claw fits in to slip up over the top of the rim when you close the bolt. All normal there.

You did not explain your feed error, but that could be something as simple as your holding the rifle pointed straight up or rolled over to the right side while you jack the lever (trying to control how far away the empties fly out with the STRONG stock ejector spring). If it is pointed too far up, the gravity does not help to hold the new shell in the carrier at the correct angle, and it can then jam into the top of the chamber as you try to close the bolt.

No sorry, I am not referring to the recess above the chamber mouth for the extractor claw but the chamber mouth itself 'within' that recess that looks like some Braztech goon dremel'd at it. Ive seen some posts about it here where it was suggested it may have been a half-butt effort to fix a feed error by Braztech customer service

Im concerned about uneven pressure in the chamber when firing but havent had the chance to inspect my brass, almost all of which ive collected. Will report back then but until that, any more thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No thin chicks
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Using the first photo, i circled the area to which i am referring
No thin chicks
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Next thing I would do is mark the 12 o'clock position on a cartridge and shoot it. Then I would measure the diameter of this area across the 6 & 12 with a caliper and then again at the 3 & 9 positions. Personally, I don't think it is going to be a big deal. I will do and consider anything to prevent returning the rifle to Rossi. More often than not, your rifle will be returned in worse shape than when you sent it.
Michael
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Will do next range day (friday hopefully! Thankfully wifey loves to shoot too) but i need to buy a micrometer

In anycase lets say theres no bulging in the case, will this issue have any effect on my rifle over the coming decades? I dont think ammo should be an issue as i suspect lead nosed or even jacketed rounds wont cause further damage (?)
No thin chicks