Rossi M92 and PROPER sights

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Tazman1602

Rossi M92 and PROPER sights

Post by Tazman1602 »

OK guys, I just got off the phone with Braztech/Rossi/Taurus.

I've got a couple of Taurus rifles, a model 62 .22 pump and my new M92 in .357 mag -- they both have the same exact issue, they shoot WAY high. After talking to Rossi and explaining the issue they were unable to give me any information whatsoever. That means for those of us who care and want to make it right, we are the Engineers. I even asked if they could tell me what bullet weight and speed the factory sights were regulated for and was told that was proprietary Taurus information and they *would* tell me if they had it but they didn't. They told me they'd be happy to send me a tag to ship it back to them so they could test it for accuracy -- there's nothing wrong with accuracy! It just shoots high with .357 mag! They even looked to see if they could send me a higher front sight, but claimed they didn't have a higher front sight to fit it.

In my model 92 I may occasionally shoot .38 Special as a plinking load --- but that isn't why I bought it. I'm shooting 158 grain Hornady XTP's right now at right around max, but will move to the same grain bullet in cast as soon as I slug my barrel.

SOOOOO, if anyone is interested, I took some *initial* measurements from my 92's barrel and sights and here's what I came up with:

Barrel at front sight = .830
Barrel at rear sight = .830
Rear sight height = .365
CURRENT Front sight height = .230
Sight Radius 24" barrel = 21.5"

Plugging the numbers into Brownells sight height calculator (damn have computers made us lazy or what?) I come up with a *proper* FRONT sight height of .365 ---- I see in Ranch Dogs Marbles sight chart there's a .375 and that might put us in the middle of the rear ladder.

Anyone else care to take measurements from their octagon barrel 92's and see if they come up with the same thing?

Here is Brownells sight height calculator for those who are interested:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1318 ... Calculator

IF we can figure this one out maybe it should be a sticky Micheal???

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rossi M92 and PROPER sights

Post by Ranch Dog »

Art,

BrazTech gives no thought to the front sight, it is one size fits all. The same sight came on my 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, and 480 Ruger.

I didn't check, but will when I get in from hunting, but I suspect it is the same sight on the Rio Grande.

No different than Marlin's practice.

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
Michael
Raymer

Post by Raymer »

My 92 is a 20" octagon blued barrel with case color receiver. I've had it for about 2 months (new). Your front sight sounds like it's a lot shorter than mine. My barrel mics out at .801.
The height of the front sight from the top of the bead to the top of the barrel measures .320 with a dial caliper so figure +/- a thou or two. With the rear sight set on the second step of the elevation ladder, the top of the notch measures approx .335 with the caliper.

I shoot .357 Hornady 140 grain bullets with 7.5grains of W231. That works well for me in both my Ruger 6" Gp100 and the Rossi. I don't hunt with either gun.

I had my Rossi out today with the sights set as stated above. I could keep the shots in or close to the 10 ring from 25 yards. This was not from a bench but leaning across the hood of my PU. My nearly 70 year old eyes are not what they used to be so I would say that the sights were pretty well aligned.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

The OP's front sight sounds much shorter than mine from a 2010 Legacy 92 model. I'd measure mine but not sure where it is. I knew from brochure photos the stock sights would be ditched anyway and ordered a Skinner front blade and Williams WDOS with square notch insert before the rifle came in. Factory sights seldom get but a cursory glance before replacement with something more productive.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

Now I measured the front sight from the top of sight to the top of BARREL. I'm thinking after doing some more reading that I need to beat out the front sight and measure it from top to bottom -- anyone know if that is the correct way to go about this?

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm a fair gunsmith with certain models but Rossi and iron sights is a new venture for me............

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tazman1602 wrote:Now I measured the front sight from the top of sight to the top of BARREL. I'm thinking after doing some more reading that I need to beat out the front sight and measure it from top to bottom -- anyone know if that is the correct way to go about this
That's correct Art, sight height is measured with the sight off the barrel from bottom of the base to the top

I did a quick look for the Rio Grande sights but I'm going to need to dig deeper.

I'm not an open sight guy, but have always figured that factory sight were like the rifle/scope combos that are marketed. About as cheap as it gets. I always figured factory sights simply was a method of protecting the dovetails until a customer could install his choice that fit his needs and eyesight. Rossi can't have more than 50 cents worth of material in these.

Michael
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Does Rossi still use the oversized dovetails? I played heck getting a blank in my Rossi 62 to stay in place when I put a tang sight on it.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

44-40 Willy wrote:Does Rossi still use the oversized dovetails? I played heck getting a blank in my Rossi 62 to stay in place when I put a tang sight on it.
The dovetails on all my BrazTech rifles are the industry standard, 3/8". I have an Interarms/Rossi 62 that I'm getting to put a Skinner peep and Marbles front sight on. The Skinner site is cut a little bit deeper for the fit on older Rossi's and a couple of licks with a file removes enough for the new rifles. I'm going to use a brass shim under the front sight.
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Skinner made mine for my older Puma/Rossi just a tad wider. I checked with a standard, unused Marbles before ordering and it slipped right thru.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
I'm not an open sight guy, but have always figured that factory sight were like the rifle/scope combos that are marketed. About as cheap as it gets. I always figured factory sights simply was a method of protecting the dovetails until a customer could install his choice that fit his needs and eyesight. Rossi can't have more than 50 cents worth of material in these.

You gets what yah pay for.

The factory iron sights (Marble) on my new BLR T/D in 450 Marlin are SUPERB.......fully screw adjustable for windage and elevation.
The gun's finish, w/m fit, checkering are all excellent and action was like melted butter right out of the box.
That's the difference between a $1000 gun and a $400 gun.
Having said that Rossi makes a pretty good gun for the price but don't expect Marble or Skinner iron in the dovetails NIB.

To be fair I thought the front sight on my Rio Grande looked like a rhinoceros horn but when I sighted the gun in with the iron at 50 yards I was getting 1 1/2" groups even with my old eyes.
The iron sights looked kind of strange on the RG but worked fine and that's what counts.

The iron sights on my 3 X 92s certainly aren't Marbles or Skinners but they work fine.
You'll need a hammer and brass punch to make windage adjustments but once you've adjusted a few you'll zero them quick and will actually prefer the simple punch adjustable sights because there are no screws to loosen or fall off and allow the sight to wander. The sight stays where it's put.

I think part of the problem people have with iron sights is an acquired internal prejudice against them. We've been spoiled by scopes.
I prefer both iron and scope sights on my guns and mount my scopes with QD rings so that if the scope is busted or malfunctions I can remove it and continue the hunt using the iron sights. In my brush rifles I usually sight the iron in for 50 yards and the scope in for 100 yards.

If the gun is being used in remote areas of Maine, Alaska or Canada limiting your sighting options in a hunting/survival/predator defense firearm is NOT a good plan.
If you can see your kitchen door or the top of your pick-up from the tree stand you're hunting from then it really doesn't matter if you remove the iron sights as many do.
If you're lost in the bush in Alaska or Canada you need a gun that you can aim to feed and protect yourself.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA