Rossi M92 and PROPER sights

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
temmi

Re: Rossi M92 and PROPER sights

Post by temmi »

I had Steve at http://www.stevesgunz.com/ replace mine.

He has a bunch at his website

Snake
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

Yup I see that Snake. Wrote him a few days ago and haven't heard back yet. Been too busy with other stuff to "play" too much with the sights yet, needed to get barrel slugged which I did today so I can load some cast for it and see how that does. Got to know what will chamber and shoot in this gun.

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
Turkey Huntsman

Post by Turkey Huntsman »

Pricedo:

I just took delivery on a brand new .44 mag R92 and LOVE it. Bad eyes force me to use either a scout scope or red dot for hunting. I've got one of each still sitting in the box. The crappy factory sights are still currently on the 92.

Your idea of using QR rings is great...I too wish to retain my factory front sight (with peep or aperture in the rear) as a backup if the scope falls off, fogs up, or is damaged. I'd also like to easily remove the scope when hunting season is over...as I find the aesthetics of scopes on lever guns to be a bit distasteful. I bought a new 2.75x NcStar Scout scope, the one that has been discontinued. It uses 30 mm rings.

A few questions perhaps you (or others) can help me with:

1) What make and model QR rings do you recommend for this setup? I'm looking for a value-priced series, and not pay more for the rings than the scope itself!

2) What height rings are needed to clear the factory front sight? Medium, or high? Is there a min. height measurement that will safely clear...0.75" or 1" from rail to the bottom of scope tube, perhaps?

3) The "dovetail" size problem. I plan on putting a filler blank in the rear sight dovetail, then mill a small box channel into the underside front of the scope rail to match it. I'll then add one additional screw that bolts the front of the scope rail into the dovetail filler blank. PRESTO...this should anchor the front end of the rail and hopefully eliminate it from being pulled out by recoil, as many people have reported.

The forums are full of people %@*&$ that standard 3/8" filler plugs don't fit tight in the R92. Is this still true, or were the old R92s using some kind of metric dovetail? Stevz Gunz sells a filler blank for R92s, but Midway has a Marbles 3/8" one and I have an open cart full of stuff there waiting to be ordered. Is SG's filler custom made, or is it just a repackaged standard 3/8"?

Many thanks,
-TH
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Warne, Leupold, Burris all make QD rings and bases.
The machining has to be good for reliable return to zero functionality so you're not going to get that kind of quality for $1.50.
I've used all 3 brands I mentioned and they all perform reliably.
The latest rifle I scoped with QD capability (today) is a Browning BLR in 450 Marlin.
Used Burris QD 1" rings for that job.
I like Burris products.........alotta quality for the money.
You won't get QD rings for less than $50 a 2 ring set.
The only Rossi I scoped is my RG/30-30......used Warne QDs for that job.

RD's the man to PM for advice on installing scout scopes on Rossi 92s. He's done several of them & knows all the "what to dos" and "what not to dos" on that topic.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Turkey Huntsman

@Pricedo: Thanks for the info. $50 is sure not bad, I just don't want to drop $125 on someting exotic.

I've still got to find out about the filler plate for the rear sight dovetail. Sure would be nice if the standard Marbles 3/8" one will fit tight in there. Can anyone else comment?

Ciao,
-TH
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Turkey Huntsman wrote:What make and model QR rings do you recommend for this setup? I'm looking for a value-priced series, and not pay more for the rings than the scope itself!

What height rings are needed to clear the factory front sight? Medium, or high? Is there a min. height measurement that will safely clear...0.75" or 1" from rail to the bottom of scope tube, perhaps?
You don't have to worry about it. You might see the sight in the view but only if you are really looking for it. If you are focusing on the target is will not be very apparent.

In that it seems that you desire to keep the open sights as a back up for the scope, why worry about QD rings. From what you stated you will not be going back and forth at a moment's notice but only if the the scope fails. If that happens, it comes off and would not be going back on until some point after repair or replacement. My choice is Weaver Quad Locks. Medium if you are shooting off the stock comb and "High" if your rifle has the synthetic cheek comb.

They are not QD rings but I have taken the Quad Locks off several times performing maintenance on various rifles and have never lost the "zero" when putting them back on.
The "dovetail" size problem. I plan on putting a filler blank in the rear sight dovetail, then mill a small box channel into the underside front of the scope rail to match it. I'll then add one additional screw that bolts the front of the scope rail into the dovetail filler blank. PRESTO...this should anchor the front end of the rail and hopefully eliminate it from being pulled out by recoil, as many people have reported.
Sounds good to me. It will take a little work with a flat file to make the match up between the base and the blank but I do think this is the way to go. The blank will be down to unfinished steel but it is not going to be seen so it shouldn't be an issue.
The forums are full of people * that standard 3/8" filler plugs don't fit tight in the R92. Is this still true, or were the old R92s using some kind of metric dovetail? Stevz Gunz sells a filler blank for R92s, but Midway has a Marbles 3/8" one and I have an open cart full of stuff there waiting to be ordered. Is SG's filler custom made, or is it just a repackaged standard 3/8"?
The SG blank is the 3/8 Marbles sold elsewhere.
Michael
Turkey Huntsman

Michael, thanks much for your inputs. I'm interested in the QR rings because I basically don't care for the aesthetics of a scope or red dot on an old-style lever gun. I'm putting the optics on because I need them in order to hunt responsibly with the gun; my eyes are not good enough for iron sights at any substantial distance. For most of the year, I'll have the scope off and be having fun at the range or out plinking with the iron sights. No biggie if I miss the bullseye!

I have access to a modern machine shop, and will precision mill both the scope base and flat-top the dovetail blank so that they are a close fit when they mate. The Rossi design has all four mounting holes located at one end of the scope mount; no wonder they tend to rip out under recoil! I'm hoping that by anchoring the opposite end, the rail rip-out problem will be solved. I think that is all it needs to be 100% reliable....

Regards,
-TH
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

"it comes off" is easy if your tool box & work shop are 5 minutes away but if you're "way back in the sticks" when your scope goes south having the QD rings and back up iron sights could be a hunt/life saver.
I speak for myself only in this regard.
Someone else's experiences could be and very likely are quite different.
Your life experiences and the environments you contend with mold your thought patterns and your priorities.
I spend a lot of time in remote wilderness areas where the nearest gun-smithery tool box and workbench could be hours of bush plane airtime away.
After you step off that bush plane knowledge, self sufficiency and adaptability to unforeseen circumstances determine
whether you will get back on that plane at the end of the trip in one piece.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

The Weaver quad-locks attach with a large knurled and slotted head nut. Don't attach them finger tight. Use a wide screwdriver blade. If you can't remove these because you are back in the sticks then you went out unprepared. My Swiss multi-tool large flat screwdriver is what I use for the rings at home, at the range, or out hunting.

And Wal-Mart sells them for less than $15 a set.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver