"First shoot a success!" A look back and range report

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: First shoot a success!

Post by Archer »

Ranch Dog wrote:
GRV01 wrote:Speaking of which I guess I ate too much salt the night before as I left an unsightly stain on the stock where my cheek rested, any tips on cleaning that?
Hah! Put a real finish on it. I was on a nilgai hunt with my RG4570 and a heavy thunderstorm came overhead. I lasted about 15 minutes and I was hunkered down over my rifle trying to protect it. After it passed and things were drying out, I noticed that the stock on my rifle looked like a calico cat. The stain had run onto my camo pants. The good thing is that the rubberwood is very easy to work with. Time to seal it up.
Going to have to follow this advice.
One of the things I've always hated about the 'military' style linseed oil finish is that it never seems to polymerize and if you are out in the heat and the sun with it you will end up with it bleeding on you and/or your clothes.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: "First shoot a success!" A look back and range report

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I used a Danish Oil, wipe-on finish on my stock, after a complete strip and sand. It turned out okay, but I don't think I'd do the same thing again. I believe that Rossi stocks are Ipe, which is a very dense, tight grained and naturally oily tropical hardwood. As such, it doesn't absorb oil finishes worth a darn. I'd be inclined to try one of these recommended finishes for Ipe decking, although buying a pint can is probably impossible:

http://www.deckmagazine.com/design-cons ... finishes_o
GasGuzzler

Re: "First shoot a success!" A look back and range report

Post by GasGuzzler »

I had to look up "kismet".
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.