New Mod 92 and range report

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Tazman1602

New Mod 92 and range report

Post by Tazman1602 »

OK guys rifle came in today. .357 mag with 24" octagon barrel. Very nice. After the initial cleaning I had to take it out to shoot. I've read posts that say the the 1-30" twist won't stabilize 158 grain bullets but it just isn't so. I used Hornady 158 grain XTP's over 2400 and they shot very well at 25 and 100 yards. The groups are not great because I haven't shot a rifle with iron sights in about 20 years and my eyes aren't what they used to be. Trigger is OK but needs work.

After putting 50 down the tube then cleaning and flooding the action with WD40 and cleaning that out, things slicked up very well. No FTF in any way shape or form and with that 24" barrel it handles like a dream when you throw it up to your shoulder. Here it is fresh out of the box:

The Rossi shooting high issue has not been solved by the factory so sooner or later I'll get that fixed but it shoots and groups very well. I was very, very surprised at the lack of recoil from this rifle -- I know it's a handgun cartridge and it's the first .357 rifle I've ever owned but my pistols bark pretty good when I shoot them. The first shot, I thought I might have made a mistake with the reloads but they were fine. It's just a nice easy shooter and I'm sure my wife is going to love it when she shoots it. The loading gate spring is pretty tight, might replace springs in it with a spring kit later on.

Here are the target pics with POA (point of aim) marked. In order to save bandwidth and to not have a post that's three pages long I'm just posting the links to photobucket, here ya' go:

Let me know what you think, those groups are totally acceptable to me because I can barely see the targets at 100 yards. I'm sure once I get myself setup with either a tang sight, skinner sight, or ghost ring I can tighten them up a bit.

Going to load some 125 grain XTP's in the next week and see how they do and also going to slug the bore to see what I need to size my cast stuff at. Even going to see how 180 grain WFN shoots out of this thing although I do not think a
1-30" twist will stabilize those. One way to find out.

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: New Mod 92 and range report

Post by akuser47 »

Very Nice rifle I love that look sexy 92. Glad it functions good for you.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice Art! I took the liberty of correcting the target links so the pictures appear in the post.
Michael
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

Hey Thanks Michael! I was just trying not to clutter up the posts, kinda leary about forum rules as I hang out at Cast Boolits a lot. Speaking of which -- have you slugged any of your new .357 barrels yet? Man I just LOVE shooting this gun. I have guns that will shoot sub moa with my handloads and I know this one never will but DAMN it's FUN!

Don't know how many people have the color case hardened recievers, but in spite of the lousy job Rossi does with the sights, forearms, and barrel bands it is really nice. Here's a pic of that:

Man I just know with my Vaquero in the Huckleberry holster, this rifle, and my cowboy hat I'll shed 60bls and look like Val Kilmer in Tombstone. If I can get the sights straightened out and slug the barrel (that has ALWAYS made me queasy -- ever break off a wood rod while doing that???? Don't ask me how I know.....) and figure out what .38 bullet I have a mold for will work with it I'll take this little thing deer hunting with a WFN slug next year.

I think you've got enough info on this sight and the internet in general on this gun I won't have to buy the DVD, when I do get to tearing it down completely (THAT is inevitable......) I will attempt to photo document that. I've gotten some minor publishing credits. I used to be a technical writer/engineer on Network Systems and am very good at taking technical issues and putting them in terms Joe Average can understand.

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

That case hardening looks sexy I love it on all cowboy guns. You train dogs I see electric collars on your desk at least that is what they look like I use to train coon dogs and beagles for sqiurrel and rabbit. When my grandfather passed I gave it up. I miss training the dogs. looks like those are really deep barb sets on those collars?
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

Aww hell no AK! Those are for the grandkids..........or kids...........not really. Those are invisible fence collars. My dogs are all for home protection and are VERY loyal to me and the wife. We live in the country on 20 acres and have about two acres fenced in for the dogs so they don't have to be chained. I couldn't stand to do that to them, they're my friends.

Invisible fence works extremely well. Once they get the idea (my dogs are getting old again...wife and I have outlived two full sets of dogs over 31 years together....) I don't even put batteries in the collars. Just put the collars on them and they will NOT leave their area. I do this for their own protection, I have a Rottweiller that absolutely HATES racoons and don't want her to run off. She will stick around us when we do go in the woods no problem, but that dog would take on a BEAR if she thought the bear was gonna hurt her mommy......

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
---Theodore Roosevelt
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I only used them to break the dogs when training once they fell in line and followed the calls then as you stated haveing the collar on make them stay in line. I was not attacking you on the issue just curious what dogs you had was all. It does seem like a nasty training aid but nothing works better. I learned when I went against my grandfather and tried to train a dog without it. The dog mainly blue ticks have attitude and run off after anything unless you get them to follow calls. I grew up hunting and training dogs. So I understand my Grandfather not the nice guy I wish he was would kill a dog if it did not learn fast he was a very abusive trainer to me and my dogs as I grew up the shock collars actaully save many of my dogs lives kept them in line.
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

LOL dude! I didn't take it as an attack I'm just a smartass. No offense intended to you.

....and when the daughter was a teenager if it hadn't been illegal I would have used it on her!

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
---Theodore Roosevelt
RickinVA

Post by RickinVA »

Beautiful rifle! I recently purchased the .357 carbine, but think I will need a rifle now too. Thanks for your commments on twist and bullet stabilization. I've been planning to use 158 or 180 grain ammo for deer and didn't know this could be an issue. I don't reload. What is "slugging" the barrel?
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Beautiful color on that receiver! Your groups look as good or better than mine with open sights, darn front sight keeps fading out on me. I have a Williams sight on my 44 that has done a much better job for me. Had a scout mount on a 357 that proved it to be very accurate, once dialed in, clay pigeons at 200 yd were broken pretty regularly. I used mostly 158 gr SP's in it. DP