Range report/NIB SS 24" .357

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Range report/NIB SS 24" .357

Post by dpe.ahoy »

golfish wrote:thanks guys, so the "lighter load" is going to kick that much more? The diff between the Rems and the other two was huge. Not just because the bullet went high but the recoil hurt the shoulder, the others were like shooting a 22 rimfire..

Ak, I'd like to get into reloading but I'm just not sure I will shoot that much. I do have the room for it :D
It's a 357, of course you will shoot it that much. :D The Rem load is a pretty warm load, the ones from the range are probably not loaded as hot. The 357 is one of the easiest to learn how to load. Just make sure you use carbide dies, they are a labor saving tool, for sure. Proven loads are listed everywhere, with new ones coming out with the newer powders. Taller front sights are the answer to hitting high, try to get a load or two you like and get sights that will allow you to sight in for both. Enjoy the new rifle! DP
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

When it comes to reloading, the 357 Mag is about as easy as it gets. When I first got back into it after a 15 year break, I started back with the 357 for my 1892. A set of Lee Carbide dies, their C press, a powder scale and a couple of manuals and I was ready to start.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Thanks guys, I need to start slow :D First thing I need to do is get a good screwdriver set. All I have is garage stuff..I talked to a smitty today, he suggested I not use the garage stuff no matter how good it is.
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Steve's Guns sells a tool kit with the proper sized punches and I think screwdriver tips for the Rossi 92. It's on my Christmas list.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I bought the cheap set from wally world yesterday just so I could do the brake cleaner job. I'm a little shocked how loose all the screws are on this gun, I'm also shocked that you can't even snug most of them up, even a little. If ya do snug em up the action is too stiff.

The mag tube seemed like if had rust in it, lots and lots of rust.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

golfish wrote:The mag tube seemed like if had rust in it, lots and lots of rust.
If that observation is based on brown gunk coming out with the cleaner flow, it is packing grease.
Michael
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Ranch Dog wrote:
golfish wrote:The mag tube seemed like if had rust in it, lots and lots of rust.
If that observation is based on brown gunk coming out with the cleaner flow, it is packing grease.

That good be it...I swabbed the mag tube after I soaked it with brake cleaner and patch kept coming out brown. After it dried I ran a patch with Hoppes #9 and its still real brown..

I'm going to let the oil soak in for a day or two and swab it again. Just the mag tube is brown.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I got my rossi 92 used and it was several years used and it still had alot of grease in the gun. The guy I bought it from thought he had done a good job cleaning it he was wrong lol, it is or close to being like cosmoline that military armorers use for storage. Can be tuff to get it all out but brake cleaner did it for me.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I don't know guys, what I saw coming off the patch that I ran down the mag tube looked a lot different then the stuff I saw coming out of the workings..Maybe just some light rust.