Range report/NIB SS 24" .357

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Range report/NIB SS 24" .357

Post by golfish »

Good afternoon, please forgive my lousy writing skills. Maybe I should call this a "Mojave Desert report" My son and I went out to the desert to fire the new gun. I was very very happy but I did find out right off that there was no more adjustment for the sights at 50 and 75 yards. I set them as low as they would go, it shot right on at 50 and 75..
Here is the ammo I shot, hoping you guys can answer a few questions.
1# .38 sp

#2 .357 reloads I bought from the local indoor range

#3 .357 from Bass pro shop..I still have Ice on my shoulder

#4 .357 from Graf and son
Last edited by golfish on 04 Nov 2012 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Range report/NIB SS 24" .357

Post by golfish »

I'm having PC problems so I posted above asap..I keep getting dropped.

OK, so the gun cycled the .38's (pic #1) perfict and they shot great at 75 yards with the rear sight as low as it would go...Happy happy happy..

#2, the .357 reloads from the local indoor range. These cycled great and were dead on at 75 yards just like the .38's..Happy

#3 Ouch, these shot 12" high at 75 yards and no way to adjust the sights down. I guess these are not target loads but why so high?

#4 .357's from Grafs, I'm thinking since these are 158 grain that they would be as bad or worse then #3..I was wrong wrong wrong. These must be a target load or am I missing something? These shot just like #1 and #2...very easy on the shoulder..

Oh yeah, most important... The gun would NOT cycle #3 and #4 at all, nothing..I had to hand load these. Can anybody give me an idea why the gun wont cycle these rounds? I understand they are a tiny bite longer.

Thank you so much for taking your time..

Mark
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Any rifle in a pistol caliber not alone a rifle caliber will have it's pet load as in type of bullet and powder and so on. You may also have a rossi that has bad relief cut into the chamber I cannot remember the tech word for this lol I think chamfer. anyways with this not being there it can cause the rounds to catch on the sharp edge before the bullet can enter the chamber. can you post a pic of your chamberjust from the top with action open as clearly as possible. We may see the problem also if you can when you can take a pic of a round that you have tried cycling through the gun. A pic of how it hangs up will help to. glad she has somthing the shoots good some will not work until you tune the gun so you have good start.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I guess I should be lucky the gun shoots the .38's what an easy round to shoot and very accurate..

Here's the top down (waiting for my son to come home from school, he needs to learn how to clean a gun}

This is the jammed .357 125 grain. It wont go forward. Just a tad longer then #2 above..
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

oh yeah, guys..looking at the pictures above of the 4 types of ammo shot..why did #3 shoot 12"+ higher at 75 yards..is it just a hotter load? which I guess means more powder?

Thanks

Mark
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

yes .357 more powder higher velocity so it will shoot farther better and higher at close range. can you get a close up of the bottom of the chamber there should be a releif cut into it like a rounded edge it may need to be polished a bit but we need to be sure that is were it is hanging up. Before any polish or modding I would get some break clean remove rear stock easy to do and spray it into the action until nothing but clean break clean comes out looks like it may need a good flushing this may solve your problem for the cost of non chlorinated break cleaner.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

akuser47 wrote:yes .357 more powder higher velocity so it will shoot farther better and higher at close range. can you get a close up of the bottom of the chamber there should be a releif cut into it like a rounded edge it may need to be polished a bit but we need to be sure that is were it is hanging up. Before any polish or modding I would get some break clean remove rear stock easy to do and spray it into the action until nothing but clean break clean comes out looks like it may need a good flushing this may solve your problem for the cost of non chlorinated break cleaner.
ak, thanks for taking your time..I fired 3 types of .357 rounds, two of them shot where I aimmed and felt more like the .38sp rounds did ..the Rem 125 grain was the only one of the 3 that shot high (12" at 75 yards) and hurt the shoulder. The .357 158 grain Armsco (pic #4) shot right on as did the .357 reload rounds I bought from the local indoor range..My guess is the Armscor and the reloads are targe loads and the Rem (pic #3) are not target loads....I don't reload so I don't know?

I will do the brake cleaner when I get the DVD form Steve..its been over a week. They billed me the second I ordered but not a word on shipping and they don't answer the phone.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

steve ships usps so you should have it any day for sure it will giude you through keep us posted. I know my 92 does not like light loads like 110 grain bullets and 125 grains I can adjust enough to hit targets but 158 grain is my 92's bread and butter I reload them in .357 cases at .38special +p powder charges to acheive my results but I reload so I taylored mine to my rifle in time maybe that is somthing you will do as well start to roll your own.
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

I had the same issue with the Reminton bullets in my Rossi, way to high at 100yards. They shot great at 300 yards though. :)
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

thanks guys, so the "lighter load" is going to kick that much more? The diff between the Rems and the other two was huge. Not just because the bullet went high but the recoil hurt the shoulder, the others were like shooting a 22 rimfire..

Ak, I'd like to get into reloading but I'm just not sure I will shoot that much. I do have the room for it :D