New to sight and hopefully new owner.

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Santa01

New to sight and hopefully new owner.

Post by Santa01 »

How do everyone!
Just sorta lurking right now. I absolutely love the feel of a good Winchester but I'm married and my wife will only allow so much! My favorite is a Teddy carbine in 30/30. She is a shooter. I even use her for hunting but the shine from the finish can be blinding. I really like the octagon barrel and see that Rossi has almost exactly what I dream of in a rifle. .45LC, 20 inch octagon barrel, end cap on forearm, crescent butt plate but no pistol grip as my Teddy has. Not a deal breaker just a preference. A real rifle I can shoot the tar out of off my back porch and also hunt white tail and black bear with here in the mountains. My Teddy is a commemorative. She was so rough you could not pull the trigger while holding it to your shoulder. She is now a fantastic shooter, kudos to David at Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna, Ga. She has the best trigger I have ever felt on a Lever gun. Anyway , I say that to ask what type work will the Rossi need? Here are my anticipated uses;
1, plinking ( I will be reloading on a small scale. I do not think I will need a progressive to meet my needs).

2,Hunting/defense ( we live in the Blue Ridge mountains so white tail, black bear, coyotes etc.)

3, just plain fun ( i think I will also get a single action in .45 to match and play!

I am not going to be useing any of these in any competition so they just need to be smooth and reliable. THANKS, Santa0 :D 1
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: New to sight and hopefully new owner.

Post by zippy »

Santa01 wrote: Anyway , I say that to ask what type work will the Rossi need?
A good percentage of recent buyers have not found it necessary to do any mods to their 92's.
Working the action a couple thousand times while watching John Wayne movies, and a good cleaning of the heavy factory grease might be enough.

I almost got another 92 chambered in 45 until I saw the high factory ammo prices, and small variety of loads.
I don't reload, so no sale there.

If you want to tinker, Steve's Gunz products and his DVD might be a good start.
cpt-t

Post by cpt-t »

I have been shooting a SS 20 inch round barreled 92 Rossi in 45LC for the last 15+ years. And mine will do all the things that You mentioned and a whole lot more extremely well. I Pig & Deer Hunt, Shoot Cowboy Action, Walk around Plinking Rifle, Shooting at the range, and I use it for Home Protection as well. My rifle was a little stiff at first the way I remember it. But that did not last very long. Now the action is as smooth as glass.
ken
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum!
Michael
Santa01

Post by Santa01 »

Tanks guys, Now to make the final decision, 20 inch octagon or shorter round. I really like the look of the octagon just wonder about the weight difference. I have a round barreled 20 inch '94 in 30/30 and an octagon 20 inch in 30/30. There is a difference in feel. will a .45 barreled rifle weight less than a 30/30 barreled rifle? if so any idea hoe much? The octagon rifle in .45 is about 1 1/2 pounds heavier than the 20 round barrel.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Howdy, and I understand your dilemma. If you plan on it being fast to point light like a toy 16" round barrel is your friend. The 20" round is pretty fast and nice to it's what I have. I love the octagon barrel guns don't know if I would want to lug it around the woods though. Just my preference is all.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

What I lug depends in main how I feel when I head out and how far I plan to go. I have the 45 Colt with the 20" octagonal barrel and I recently picked up a 20" round barrel 357. A bit of a difference on the hike but not insurmountable and I like my big fat slugs. Either will do the job, I just suspect the 45 Colt will do it a bit better. Then agai dead is dead :) .

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
3Horse

Post by 3Horse »

Hello Santa01. I recently joined the group too. I received a lot of good advice and direction from fellow forum members. Just became or I should say, my wife became, a Rossi owner. Now I'm looking for my own Rossi. :D
Santa01

Post by Santa01 »

Thanks, you guys have been very helpful. I hunted for years with a front stuffer with a 32 inch octagon bbl. It was heavy but the nostalgia when carrying and shooting her was well worth it. I think the short round bbl is more suited to my needs but the octagon just sings to me. To some a firearm is just a tool to get the job done, to others probably closer to our feelings a firearm is a tool AND a work of art. This can because of the design and shape or can be contributed to other factors such as finish or accoutrements. Now I see I must hone my negotiating skills because there is a 16, 20 and 20 octagon. Oh I must not forget the 24 octagon. Oh the tangled web we find ourselves in...Thanks again !
3Horse

Post by 3Horse »

We have the 24" octagon. It's really not bad to handle. Has a stable feel and soaks up 45LC recoil. Plus, it does look kind of Old West. I'm thinking about another octagon barrel model in 20" length if available in caliber & finish I want. Hope you find exactly the model you like!