New to sight and hopefully new owner.

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
jstanfield103

Re: New to sight and hopefully new owner.

Post by jstanfield103 »

I have had the octagon barrel in 357 and currently have the 20" SS round barrel in 45 Colt. The weight difference is very noticeable in the balance of the rifle. I really like the feel of the round barrel, but much prefer the look of the octagon barrel. I absolutely Love my Rossi 45 Colt, it functions perfect and the only thing I have done to her is add a SS Magazine Tube Follower. I have had 0 problems and no complaints with the trigger either.
Good Luck on you're search. Let us know what you find.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have the .44 Mag in both 20" RB and 24" Oct plus a Win 94 in 24" RB.
I find the 20" RB to be handier. The 24" RB is nice. The 24" Oct is ok but significantly heavier than the 20" RB.

In the .357 Mag the 20" RB is a light weight platform.
I've called the lever actions in pistol calibers 'cowboy assault weapons'. I think the .357 Mag 20" RB is the ideal version of this. Lightweight. Long enough to reach out a mite and quick handling and cycling.

I'd think it a bit light for black bear.
I went with the .44s as my first 92s for the expanded capability of the round.
Plus they just don't recoil that much in a lever action.
The .45 Colt CAN be loaded to 44 Mag plus levels or you can get premium ammo that runs those levels.
Out of the box most rounds in that caliber are going to be lightweight cowboy action loads that probably don't tip the scales at .45 ACP hardball levels.
Santa01

Post by Santa01 »

Resurrection time. I found a Rossi 16" .45 Colt. Previous owner had the stock removed reshaped(I really dislike the unfinished look if the squared off forestock) refinished and added brass bead work. It isn't something I would have done BUT I have grow to like it. Maybe even love it... she is a shooter very accurate. I have been shooting my reloads. 200 grn rn lead boolits from Acme. CCI 300 primers with 7.0 grains of Titegroup. I load these for my Cimarron 1873 and they are very easily handled by the youngsters in the crowd. I would GUESS at somewhere near 875 fps..
I am wanting to work up a load for hogs, deer and local black bear. What loads do you guys use?
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Santa01 wrote:Resurrection time. I found a Rossi 16" .45 Colt. Previous owner had the stock removed reshaped(I really dislike the unfinished look if the squared off forestock) refinished and added brass bead work. It isn't something I would have done BUT I have grow to like it. Maybe even love it... she is a shooter very accurate. I have been shooting my reloads. 200 grn rn lead boolits from Acme. CCI 300 primers with 7.0 grains of Titegroup. I load these for my Cimarron 1873 and they are very easily handled by the youngsters in the crowd. I would GUESS at somewhere near 875 fps..
I am wanting to work up a load for hogs, deer and local black bear. What loads do you guys use?
Please use all the normal loading caution and work up. Right now I'm shooting a 320 grain cast gas check with between 20 and 21 grains of H110. Used in the 92, shot a couple in the black hawk hand told that was stupid. I run 19 grain for the pistol. As I said use a degree of caution and work up.

Make smoke ,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Santa01

Post by Santa01 »

I am being very studious thanks! Do you know the OAL of this round? Right now the rounds I am making are 1.596 I should easily be able to go 1.6. Some of the Keith style rounds would give me a much longer OAL with standard length brass. I do not plan on shortening the length of the brass. What is your experience with different OAL and feeding in the Rossi 92. Thanks for your time and expertise, Both are valuable and appreciated.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Santa01 wrote:I am being very studious thanks! Do you know the OAL of this round? Right now the rounds I am making are 1.596 I should easily be able to go 1.6. Some of the Keith style rounds would give me a much longer OAL with standard length brass. I do not plan on shortening the length of the brass. What is your experience with different OAL and feeding in the Rossi 92. Thanks for your time and expertise, Both are valuable and appreciated.
Sorry this took so long, been away from the computer for a few days with other projects. The 45 bullet I mention is the Lee 452-300RF that's rated at 300 grains, cast with my alloy lubed and gas check it hits right at 325 grains. If memory serves they are right at 1.6 OAL. I'll check when I get home and update if memory didn't serve. It's a big fat slug and I remember a little fiddling around to get good feeding. It has two crimp grooves and I'm crimping in the front groove.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Santa01

Post by Santa01 »

Thanks, I should have taken this up 30 yrs ago. Lots to study but it is fun to learn.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I pulled ten rounds randomly from the box of loads and they average 1.623, ranging from 1.621 to 1.625. Hopefully this year Ill find out how effective it is for Ohio white tail.

Make smoke,
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Y’all are talking my OAL for HEAVY .357.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Yep, my heavy 357s go right at 1.6 OAL and feed fine. Seems to be an almost magic length in '92s.

Make smoke,