Almost sold it (NOT)

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
dionesius3

Re: Almost sold it (NOT)

Post by dionesius3 »

Hylander wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:New Old Stock
Yep,
Has some collectability seeing it is 50 years old and unfired.
Well that is until I take it to the range and fire it, destroying any collector value :twisted:
These commemorative Winchesters were and are a dime a dozen. They are worth ONLY the price of a shooter and very few command any real collector interest. So shoot'em! +guns
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

The post 1964's used some crazy alloy to make the receiver that didn't take the bluing very well. I don't know if or when they stopped using it.
I've read that the guns produced in the 70's are better, not sure, my 94 was made in 02-03.
dalek

Post by dalek »

golfish wrote:The post 1964's used some crazy alloy to make the receiver that didn't take the bluing very well. I don't know if or when they stopped using it.
It would be very amusing if it was ZAMAK
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I have a '66 M94 that my dad purchased in 1968. It is the blued steel with the case hardened receiver, a beautiful rifle that shoots very well. That is pretty much the point that the retailers could not sell them. He paid $25 for it as the shop wanted gone.

He gave it to me. I found a Burris scout mount for the M94 but I just haven't gotten around to installing it yet.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Around 1970 or so Winchester used what is typically known as mystery metal universally despised by gunsmiths as it would not take typical blue.

I own at least one of these weapons and it isn't bad but the finish on mine is pretty intact.

Winchesters have had a tendency for the bluing to go 'plum' colored with handling.
giving and keeping a coat of wax on them can help maintain the finish.
3Horse

Re: Almost sold it

Post by 3Horse »

Hylander wrote:So I go into a LGS today and wht do I see but an unfired 1967 Winchester 1894 Canadian Centennial 8-)
So looks like I get to keep my Rossi and have a NOS Winchester 30-30 +guns
I was lookin' for another rifle since my wife has ownership of the Rossi '92. Recently I was fortunate to obtain a Canadian Centennial as well. It had belonged to a dear friend who had already fired it several times....(I had fired it a few times myself 20 years ago). It has been a well cared for rifle. I've enjoyed putting some rounds downrange lately. It brings back good memories.

Now....back to the hunt for another Rossi '92 +guns Lever guns are addictive :twisted:
dionesius3

Post by dionesius3 »

Archer wrote:Around 1970 or so Winchester used what is typically known as mystery metal universally despised by gunsmiths as it would not take typical blue.

I own at least one of these weapons and it isn't bad but the finish on mine is pretty intact.

Winchesters have had a tendency for the bluing to go 'plum' colored with handling.
giving and keeping a coat of wax on them can help maintain the finish.
It wasn't the steel that was the issue though many thought it was. It was a milder steel than pre 64 rifles. But the Plum coloring quirk was due to a unique mixture of bluing salts that they purchased from South America. It came from a Government mine that supplied the salts to three gun making firms. Browning, Winchester, and FN.
They all three had the same issue with the color going Plum on them after a period of time. All three companies stopped using those salts and there was only one company left to make use of the surplus. It was Armedo Rossi company. And they used it from the early 1970's till the early 1990's. And it has been proven to be just as durable a finish as any other blueing it just ages to that odd plumb patina. Which I tend to like myself.

A Rossi 62 with dark mystery wood and Plum colored bluing is a thing of beauty! :D
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

dionesius3,
You may be right about the salts and the plum color but the Winchester steel was different enough during a small span of years that it wouldn't reblue using traditional methods. I've heard a couple different variations regarding exactly what Winchester did but there's pretty universal agreement that if the finish wears off you won't be able to reblue it. There's also pretty good agreement that whatever they were doing got dropped after only a few years. You can plate it or guncoat or cerakote it and there's a lot of rattle can artist out there over the years as well.

Browning also got hit up with some stock wood that was apparently grown in a salt swamp.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

dionesius3 wrote:A Rossi 62 with dark mystery wood and Plum colored bluing is a thing of beauty! :D
I'll take that as a compliment.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.