M92 not feeding last round: offset follower perhaps?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
dalek

M92 not feeding last round: offset follower perhaps?

Post by dalek »

I feel like this might be the same question asked in , but I am putting pretty pictures. So, on the top is a M92 and on the bottom my old (as in I got it first and made me want to get the M92) Ranch's hand. I feed each of them with one single snap cap. And then start slowly opening the lever:
So far so good: both look the same. Let's open it a bit more
Yeah, the M92 is opened a bit more because I could not get it just right and let it go until it stopped. Still, so far so good. Now, every so often when the levers are fully opened, the rounds are lined up ready to be fed into the barrel.
Most of the time, however, the round in the M92 seems not to be repositioned in the carrier to be fed.
Here is how the carrier in the M92 looks like
which looks a bit offset (and dirty; I do need to tear it apart and clean it as I have not done since I got it). But the Ranch's hand also looks offset:

Suggestions?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: M92 not feeding last round: offset follower perhaps?

Post by akuser47 »

I cannot remember if you have ever flushed yours or not so. I will say always start your r92 off with removing the buttstock and flushing with nonchlorinated break cleaner until it runs out clean and clear same with barrel and chamber. then reoil well and work your action a lot to break it in most will start functioning better with just this being done. Keep us posted. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
dalek

Post by dalek »

I never flushed it. :oops:
I just finished doing it. Right now it is hanging over my kitchen sink, butt down, dripping on a towel. Buttstock and the parts I took off are bagged waiting. I am letting the M92 drips any excess oil until morning (per the Steve Gunz dvd). We'll revisit that tomorrow.

I saw a lot of dark goo coming out of it; I do not know if I cleaned it completely, but it sure looked like a lot of it was loose paint as if the brake cleaner was removing some of it. :shock:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The only paint on the rifle is on the "S" & "F" on the safety. What you are seeing is dirt, debri, and packing grease. That grease hardens the longer it sits and it has cause more issues than anything else on the 92.

Flush it until it is clean.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I would also add that the 92's action was not designed to perform "slowly", it needs to be "levered" open to closed.

So does the problem exist if you operate the lever in a continuous motion?
Michael
dalek

Post by dalek »

So, here is an update:

This morning I took a look at it. It seems that the bolt and the tracks it rides on now have a bit of exposed metal. I understand it is supposed to be blued, but that is how it looks now. Maybe the old grease made it look like bluing/paint; this is a blemo rifle (should I call it a carbine even though it has a 20" barrel?) after all.

The paper I had under it had some darker oily spots, indicating there is still some goo (technical term for debris+dirt+grease) inside; maybe I should do a full teardown and clean each part manually.

Ranch Dog, I think the term you want to describe how the lever should be operated is authoritatively. Before, no matter how I would operate the lever the loading gate would rarely move up with the last round. Now, if I do push the lever all the way forward in an authoritatively matter, it will grab round and position it ready to be loaded into the breech. So, the cleaning all of you suggested seems to have helped a lot: now I can consider taking it with me next time I go to the range.

Thanks!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

dalek wrote:This morning I took a look at it. It seems that the bolt and the tracks it rides on now have a bit of exposed metal. I understand it is supposed to be blued, but that is how it looks now. Maybe the old grease made it look like bluing/paint; this is a blemo rifle (should I call it a carbine even though it has a 20" barrel?) after all.
Sounds good. Yeah 20" = carbine. 16" = trapper and 24" = rifle.
dalek wrote:Ranch Dog, I think the term you want to describe how the lever should be operated is authoritatively. Before, no matter how I would operate the lever the loading gate would rarely move up with the last round. Now, if I do push the lever all the way forward in an authoritatively matter, it will grab round and position it ready to be loaded into the breech. So, the cleaning all of you suggested seems to have helped a lot: now I can consider taking it with me next time I go to the range.
Yeah, authoritatively would be correct!
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Or - run it like you stole it :D

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Keep us posted to your results.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pirkfan

Post by pirkfan »

When I first got my 92 SS in 45 colt (20 inch barrel), the cartridge lifter just didn't lift well (if at all). My 357 had no such problem, but I am an inveterate tinkerer so had taken that rifle apart several times using the video on youtube by rossirifleman. The lifter has a little spring loaded detent/stop plunger on the left side as I recall, and that detent runs in a little track in the receiver. It was so gunked up that it wasn't able to move freely up and down. After that (and the rest of the receiver) was cleaned up and reassembled, it ran slick as .....well you know