Loading my .357 lever is a PIA! Any fixes?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Loading my .357 lever is a PIA! Any fixes?

Post by Quinc »

Hey all, took my wife and her mom to the range today and they wanted to shoot the lever action. Problem is I was the one that had to load it. You really have to push the bullet ALL the way in. If you leave just a little bit out of the loading gate it would spit it back out. Is there any tweaks to make it easier to load? The gun is 40 years old so it should be plenty broken in by now. On a side note, I was shooting Remington green box 158gr bullets and wow! Even with the sight on its highest setting I was shooting 12" high at 25 yards. And on its 2nd to lowest setting I was able to aim dead on and hit a clay pigeon on the 300 yard berm. (I wont say how many shots that took me) :lol:
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Loading my .357 lever is a PIA! Any fixes?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Based on your description of the issue, what do you think about cutting the magazine spring back a bit. As I remember the SG video suggests cutting about 4" off the stock spring but I would want to go back and check it. If it does, might cut say 2" off and then check the feeding through the loading gate. If still not good, remove a bit more.

Any other ideas fellows?
Michael
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

If I remember Steve's DVD correctly, you should cut the mag spring back so that it sticks out three cartridges length from the end of the mag tube. Also, you might want to look at lightening your loading gate spring too.
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

COSteve wrote:If I remember Steve's DVD correctly, you should cut the mag spring back so that it sticks out three cartridges length from the end of the mag tube. Also, you might want to look at lightening your loading gate spring too.
I will take it part tonight and take a look. Thanks!
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

COSteve wrote:If I remember Steve's DVD correctly, you should cut the mag spring back so that it sticks out three cartridges length from the end of the mag tube. Also, you might want to look at lightening your loading gate spring too.
Agree 100% mine was tearing my fingers apart not bad at all now
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!