I Won The Rossi Lottery!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
BigIron44

I Won The Rossi Lottery!

Post by BigIron44 »

So I recently bought a .44 Magnum R92 in stainless with a 16" barrel, none were locally available so I had to order it in. I was real nervous about what kind of rifle I was going to get but so far it's awesome! It runs smoothly on my snap caps and my factory ammo of choice, I'll try more stuff out later. I took it out to the range today, it/we shoot high and to the left but it groups well and I can hit better off hand with it than I can with my AK! Somehow I lucked out and my barrel is already drilled and tapped under the rear sight for a scope mount so it'll be getting an optic soon. I was a little disappointed by blued locking lugs on a stainless rifle but I figure it might help prevent galling and in the grand scheme of things a gun is only as good as its springs and those will always be blued. The main thing for me was having a stainless bolt, barrel and receiver.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: I Won The Rossi Lottery!

Post by akuser47 »

Good find need pics congrats
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

These rifles really get to you to you in a good way!
Michael
BigIron44

Post by BigIron44 »

I took it apart tonight to do a thorough cleaning, inspection and try a few tricks from Steve's DVD. The first thing that jumped out at me is pretty much the whole gun is machined from castings. It's really pretty on the outside but inside it's rough as cob! I scraped away a lot of flashing and swarf with some hobby files, smoothed out rough and jagged areas, etc. I don't know the weapon well enough yet to know what needs to be in close contact with what for everything to work correctly but after I learn more about how it functions I'll probably open it up again and try to make it as pretty on the inside as it is on the outside. The good news is coming from the AK platform I'm hardened against that kind of thing so it isn't really having a negative effect on my ownership experience but I could foresee making some billet small parts just for peace of mind, like the firing pin.

There were a few surprises. It appears the extractor, another blued part on my rifle, has been thinned out similar to what Steve does. Similarly the mag spring was cut to be about three cartridges longer than the tube. The leaf springs on the loading gate and trigger looked stock but neither felt particularly stiff. The ejector spring was short and very stiff so it looks like no change there. I heard people have been having bad luck getting that bolt peep sight to fit correctly, mine went in easy and solid.

I made the mistake of taking off the forearm band and learned a lot of things. One of them is that Brazillian wood ain't so tough, it's fibrous and as has been said before it cuts like balsa. I also discovered that they cut clear into my mag tube when they cut the channel for the band screw, I'm surprised my rifle feeds reliably. :? Trying to replace that band has been a real pain. No, really... I put a screwdriver through my thumb when it slipped! :lol: I've given up on the original stock so I'll try again after the synthetic stock I'm going to try to fit gets here.

The teardown procedure seemed really complicated the first time I watched Steve's DVD and it wasn't exactly a walk in the park putting the thing back together but now that I've done it once I think I could do it a lot faster. This thing will never come apart and go back together as quick and tool free as an AK but it's about like my Redhawk which ain't bad. When I tightened the screw that retains the lever pin all the way it locked up my action so that's another thing I'll be addressing soon.

Right now my rifle looks pretty much like anybody else's but when the new stock and scope mount get here I'll put the thing together and take some pics.

Oh yeah, speaking of scope mounts my serial number begins with "SM," I wonder if that stands for "Scope Mount?"
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

BigIron44 wrote: Oh yeah, speaking of scope mounts my serial number begins with "SM," I wonder if that stands for "Scope Mount?"
I think it does!
Michael