What do the 44 Mag Puma's slug out to ?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Harry Snippe

What do the 44 Mag Puma's slug out to ?

Post by Harry Snippe »

There seems to be some question on the bore size of the Puma 92 in 44 Mag .
I understood Ranch Dog saying something about his gun slugged out to .429 to just under .430 .

So let help an old guy out here !!

S0 I read on other post's that guns will not shoot leas sized under ..432 , so to my eyes the bore size must be close to the winchesters and Marlins that at times slug out to just over .431 .

Is there a differance with guns made in the 70's to those made in 2000+ . I realize Puma is not a Puma but made by many .

My problem is _____---- you can not get .432/ .431 sized lead here in Ontario Canada unless you cast your own . So anyone living in a City or have an Apartment is not going to be able to do that .

So If a Rossi would handle .430 lead and shoot one to two inch groups , I would concider buying one ,. But As before---having bought a brand new 1894 Marlin made yet by Marlin and paid top dollar , finding a bore measuring . 431+ ,I could wait to dump the ^&*( thing . .
I can buy a 92 Puma used at a good price today , but am I spending another 600.00 on another Tomato Stake ?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What do the 44 Mag Puma's slug out to ?

Post by Ranch Dog »

My R92 44 Mag is a Puma of BrazTech Manufacture and it slugs with the bore at .4200" and the groove at .4285" as posted here: Barrel Slug Diameters

I'm shooting my bullets sized to .430".
Michael
Harry Snippe

Post by Harry Snippe »

Thanks Ranch Dog for your quick reply .

I am looking @ another Rossi sight unseen , So I E-mailed for some more info on this gun .
It seems these guns are like war brides after WW2 .
You pay your Money , then wait to see what is about to be dropped off @ your Door sight unseen.
Then you learn to Love her with time .LOL
If I do not take this one , then maybe I should wait for a 357 Cal model .

Had I known abit more as I do now I would have bought the Rossi 454 .Having shelled out before on two Marlins I could not use I am abit reserved taking a loss there , so slow to buy just on faith .
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Interesting on the 44 Mag groove diameter. I'd say that's a little undersized for a 44 Mag as .4285 is SAAMI spec for the 44-40 groove diameter.

But apparently they seem to be working fine with smaller groove diameter.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Harry Snippe

Post by Harry Snippe »

Well
Had pictures sent of this 44 Mag Puma
The rifle looks new just out of the box, and metal to wood fit as perfect as one could expect . No marks on the wood or on the round barrel
Could see there was no safety on the bolt , no saddle Ring, and could not make out the writing on the top tang .It looks maybe to say Amaleo------- but could not make anything out past the A .
So------ Has this gun been a safe Queen ? It looks too nice to take in the bush !!
Should I just buy it If all it would fire is Jacketed bullets 'til I find some one who will cast ?
Just about ready to grab this one .
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I believe that it should say Amadeo Rossi on the top tang. At least that's what my Navy Arms has on the bottom tang. (top tang says Navy Arms)
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Harry Snippe

Post by Harry Snippe »

I called in to the dealer this Morning .No one answering E-mail today .

The young lad that answered the phone said he could only see Amaleo Rossi marked on the top tang and nothing any where else as far as names go . Ser. # on the bottom Tang starting with the Letter M

This gun came from a distribuutor as new ,non fired , without box and paperwork .
Well with about 200.00 off the new retail price and what fee's a broker would charge to import the gun for me, I thought I would be a Dang fool not to buy it .

So I put it on layway hoping to pick it up in December when ever I can make the eight hour round trip .

So this is the first 92 Model / first Rossi for this guy - :D having been on the trail now for over a year .
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Harry Snippe wrote:So this is the first 92 Model / first Rossi for this guy - :D having been on the trail now for over a year .
I wish you the best of luck and I would suspect that you will enjoy it.
Michael
Harry Snippe

Post by Harry Snippe »

My Wife and I used to do some CB shooting until I took sick .
I sold our revolvers after some time thinking Cancer was going to be the end .
Well we did keep the wife's 357 Winnie because I could never beat her time with any Winnie or Marlin in 44 rifle I had .

So With the new Rossi I just might . I doubt If I will ever shoot past club level again , but it sure was fun to blast away 300 or so rounds in 357 and 44 Mag in a day , then ending the day with going out for dinner . Then too I made sure to always include something she wanted on any one of those trips . They were good times together .

Used to be real good with her S W 27 as well as my Model 29 shooting steel plates @ 100 Yards . The rugers used in the CB shoots, I could always place .

Well the wife's winnie had to be overhauled with about 4000 rounds , and the barrel is still as new- but well polished .

I always wanted a model 92 , but never could see spending the 1200.1300 Dollars For a browning or other offering .

Ranch Dog You bet Harry Has that Big Smile back . Going to Do some SHOOTIN' with that Rossi. Just found a place for the spring kit LOL. :D :D
Yeah !! things that are every Day for you guys and you might just take for granted ,In Canada it's aways an effort to get .
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Glad you pulled the trigger on this Rossi, Harry. Good to hear you are in better health, I've read lots of your posts on GBO, feel like I kind know ya. Good luck getting the Rossi up and running. DP