Eliminate Vertical Stringing - what I did

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Xshot

Eliminate Vertical Stringing - what I did

Post by Xshot »

Vertical stringing was a real problem with my 20" SS Model 92. I was getting up to an 8 inch drop when the barrel warmed up and it didn't take to many shots. It became very noticeable after just 3 - 4 shots and subsequent shots would just widen the downward spread. This was unacceptable for a hunting rifle. It needs to be predictable for the first 5 shots - minimal. Following is what I did to cure the problem.

1. Smoothed out the forearm barrel channel with a little gentle sanding. The cross screw, for the forearm barrel band, was I real problem. I cleaned up the hole drilled through the forearm and made sure no loose wood fibers were dangling free. Next I deepened the kerf in the bottom of the barrel with a small round file. After many test fittings - sanding and file in between - the forearm slips into place and the forearm cross screw slips into position with no jiggling or fiddling.

2. Opened up the forearm barrel band - the barrel loop only! I made it so there is no contact between the loop and the barrel. Had to go slowly with this, because whenever the cross screw is tightened the barrel loop deforms slightly.

3. Opened up the barrel loop on the mag tube barrel band. I didn't go as aggressive on this loop. I wasn't after no contact on the barrel, but more like a loose fit before cross screw is being tightened. Primary goal here was to minimize/eliminate the effects of torque when band was tightened.

4. Fitted the mag cap screw. Basically shortened this screw so it just touches the barrel. FYI - this screw needs to engage the relief hole drilled into the bottom of the barrel. Otherwise the mag tube will move forward after firing just a few rounds. I learned this playing around with depth adjustment.

5. Clipped a couple of inches off the mag spring. Right now, with the spring at rest, 5 inches extends past the end of the mag tube.

The results were significant. I can now fire 7 shot with no evidence of vertical stringing. Now I have to spend more time with the tuned rifle and it's new Marbles Bullseye ghost ring and fiber optic front sights.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Eliminate Vertical Stringing - what I did

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well done! I've never figured out how those assembling the rifle get that screw past the barrel, I probably don't want to know!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I'd rout out the channel a bit and glass bed the forearm.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Xshot

Post by Xshot »

Ranch Dog wrote:Well done! I've never figured out how those assembling the rifle get that screw past the barrel, I probably don't want to know!
Right now the rifle is shooting very nicely, so I'm not going to make any major changes. Need to spend some time with my new Marbles sights before deer hunting season opens.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
It is not just the Rossi's that need attention in the forearm zone. Two months ago I worked over an old Glenfield that was bored out to .412 by JES.
Happily my old Interarms 45 Colt was right when I got it. My newer Rossi 45 Colt required numerous hours of attention to get the forearm back on. Really does make you wonder how the factory gets them assembled with out any nasty pipe wrench marks showing.
Mike in ILL
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Missionary wrote:Good morning
It is not just the Rossi's that need attention in the forearm zone. Two months ago I worked over an old Glenfield that was bored out to .412 by JES.
Happily my old Interarms 45 Colt was right when I got it. My newer Rossi 45 Colt required numerous hours of attention to get the forearm back on. Really does make you wonder how the factory gets them assembled with out any nasty pipe wrench marks showing.
Mike in ILL
The Navy Arms & Interarms Rossis were built to a much higher standard.....walnut stocks, QC, fitting & finishing......and not surprisingly cost significantly more.
It's not that Rossi can't build a quality firearm.........walnut, QC and fitting & finishing costs money and you don't get them in the "run of the mill" guns.
A chap at my gun club has a Navy Arms vintage Rossi 92 and it is clearly a superior product in every way than the thrown (or wrenched) together, crap shoot quality, "finish it yourself" kits we are pulling out of the boxes under the Braztech brand name.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA