Getting a 92 and have a few concerns

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting a 92 and have a few concerns

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:My factory load for the 92/454 (260 grain Federal SP) is the same.
If I cycle the action deliberately slowly I'll feel a slight bump as the meplat rubs the throat of the chamber.
If I cycle at my normal speed (fast) I feel nothing.........no bump.
The same here with my 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, and 480 Ruger except I'm using my reloaded ammo at the cartridge's MAX OAL. Fast cycle and they slick right into the chamber.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I use "whatever" ammo.
If I run into a sale at Walmart or Cabelas and the ammo works in my gun I'll stock up on it.
The end game is meat on the ground soon to be meat in the freezer.
20 years ago we didn't have much selection in factory ammo and the quality was dubious but now the factory stuff is as good as or better than hand-loaded ammo.
I've seen guys show up at the hunting camp with some comical looking excuses for hand loaded rounds and wonder why they couldn't keep 5 rounds inside an aluminum pie plate target at 50 yards yet they wouldn't "stoop" to using inferior factory ammo.
If I can get good ammo off the bargain basement shelves I'm not going to be sweating over a hot lead melting furnace or reloading press.............I'm goin huntin.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
deaddoc4444

Post by deaddoc4444 »

I have had my 92 in 357 for about 2 months now. Had to relieve the stress on the forearm also ( very tough getting the original factory screw back in ) but it is OK NOW >
Factory ammo fired perfectly through mine . Used several loads but have NOT tried a jacketed bullet through it yet ( Probably wont want it to be a all lead gun ) Reloads of 160 SWC bullets went through just fine . NOW the 180 grain LWFN from the Lee ( group purchase) from a few years ago will NOT feed and neither will my RD 175 gr. GC ( almost identical ) BOTH caused me much grief although VERY ACCURATE in my gun single fed using LIl gun powder .
Finally went back to the article by Junior Doughty a few years back and decided to shorten cases and go from there. NOW it feeds just fine and accuracy is SUPERB . Had trouble till I installed the SKINNER rear sight on Friday and then shot it off the bench at 100 yards . Several rounds touching in these groups and well under 4 inch groups at 100 yards . That is the MAX limit I would shoot at a deer with, that rifle and bullet combo. I have not chrono-graphed the load yet but expect with the powder charge i'm using it will be close to 1800. I WILL redo the stock over the winter to make it more attractive and durable . I DO need to replace the magazine plug with t metal one from STEVE'S and will do that in the winter too .
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

So grinding the bottom of the feeding chamber should help alleviate the problem of ammo lengths?

Maybe theres a new Part II video opportunity for StevesGunz here? He could cover chamber grinding, bedding, stock fitting and refinishing.

As I stated earlier I don't reload. I buy mostly the Winchester white box variety except for hunting. I really want a rifle that feeds standard ammo properly so I'm not at the store asking myself "I wonder if these will fit?"
Raymer

Post by Raymer »

So grinding the bottom of the feeding chamber should help alleviate the problem of ammo lengths?
In my opinion, that may not be the answer to every feeding problem. As I posted earlier, my rifle came with a chamfer at the bottom edge of the chamber. But it wouldn't feed any of the .357 ammo I had on hand. After stripping and reassembling the action several times, it now feeds the loads that I use. But it will not feed all factory ammo. Yesterday, I tried some Remington .357 JSP and it would jam every round. Yet, I can load Hornady XTP bullets in the same brass and all work fine.

I think these guns are kinda hit and miss with feeding. The Steve's Gunz video mentions that these guns are "ammo sensitive".

good luck with whatever you decide..