(Another) Recoil Pad Thread - Kick-EEZ

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: (Another) Recoil Pad Thread - Kick-EEZ

Post by Ranch Dog »

dvw86 wrote:These are solid Sorbothane® which is a polymer, not rubber.
It will be interesting to see how it holds up. Pachmayr states that the melting point of Sorbothane® is 150°(F) and I believe it because of how my LimbSavers turned to jelly. I know I will never use Sorbothane® again. Kick-EEZ are Sorbothane® pads.

I mentioned what happened in my gun safe but I also have a nice "stand up" 3 gun rest in a corner near my back door. I had a rifle sitting in it one summer and the afternoon sun comes through a glass door and window. During the summer the LimbSaver on that rifle turned to jelly. I've never been able to get that jelly off the wood of that gun stand.
Michael
johnfrommd

Post by johnfrommd »

I too had limbsaver slip on pads turn to jelly laying in the truck bed. Never again!

John
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

I've had a Limbsaver for years without an issue. However, I don't live in Texas either ;) So you talked me into it. I'll modify the Kick-EEZ pad and make one from scratch as well. That way people can see the options and how to do it.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

I put a Kick-EEZ on my M500 Mossberg 12 ga. Cuts the recoil in half for most shells. The full speed slugs still kick a bit but do not leave any marks on my shoulder. A local gunsmith told me the Kick-EEZ hold up better and that is all he uses.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Well it showed up today. It looks nice. The bottom portion is a hard plastic and is about 1/4" thick. It fits just fine. There will have to be some grinding on the pad of course, but that is to be expected. The only issue may be the screw length. They look unnecessarily long. I'd be concerned about them getting too close to the edge of the stock. My thinking is to not use wood screws anyways. If I can install some threaded inserts into the stock, than I can use machine screws and switch between different pads without worrying about wearing out the wood at the screw locations. I'm not sure when I will get a chance to install it. Now that the holidays are over, I have to hit the road again for at least a couple of weeks.
20160106_184113.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

It's kind of hard to see, but here is the grind line where the stock will be in relation to the pad.
20160106_203232.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I like the screw pillar idea as we all know that wood screws in and out again make things lose.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

The threaded inserts are installed. As you can see, it's a good thing that I plugged the existing holes. Now I will use 8/32 machine screws to install the pad(s) instead of wood screws. This will really help when I switch between the Kick-EEZ pad and the homemade pad.
20160107_211433.png
johnfrommd

Post by johnfrommd »

Great idea!

Jiohn
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Here is the difference in the screws. As you can see, the wood screw that came with the pad is much longer. The machine screw threaded length is 1/2" for comparison. Both are phillips-heads.
screws.jpg