Feeding problems

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Feeding problems

Post by massmanute »

My son's Rossi 92 is having feeding problems. It was jamming with either .357 or .38 Special ammo. He sent it back to Rossi, and it came back only partially fixed. The .357 ammo now seems to feed OK, but .38 special still does not feed without jamming. Do any of you have insight into this problem?

Thanks.
outfishing13

Re: Feeding problems

Post by outfishing13 »

I had similar issues with my new Rossi 92 that I bought a couple weeks ago. I learned that my gun is cartridge sensitive and does not like full length 357 rounds but does really well with rounds that are just .020 shorter. Can you take some photos of it with a jammed cartridge?
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by massmanute »

outfishing13 wrote:I had similar issues with my new Rossi 92 that I bought a couple weeks ago. I learned that my gun is cartridge sensitive and does not like full length 357 rounds but does really well with rounds that are just .020 shorter. Can you take some photos of it with a jammed cartridge?
Thanks for the reply. My son lives about 50 miles away. I will take a photo when I get the chance.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

At the risk of sounding like a "broken record" stripping the gun apart, thoroughly cleaning and scrubbing off each & every one of the parts with alcohol or dechlorinated brake parts cleaner AND polishing all machining and drilling burrs smooth, especially around the throat of the magazine tube, throat of the chamber, lifter & slide and drill holes can improve things immeasurably. This operation will also teach you a lot about the internal infrastructure & mechanical operation of your gun greatly streamlining troubleshooting & repairs down the road.
After the thorough cleaning & deburring lubricate the gun with high quality temperature insensitive machine oil during the reassembly process. I use a small oil painters brush dipped in oil.
After lubrication I allow the gun to self lubricate & self polish (break-in) by cycling at least 100 dummy rounds (or live rounds in a safe place with the "pigtail" safety engaged) through the gun.
I found that after the cleaning, polishing, lubricating & break-in operation that my 92s would be less "fussy" and accept a wider range of ammo cartridge configurations.
Find a load that is suitable for your purposes and that your particular gun likes (will cycle fluidly and shoot accurately) and practice with it.
The above regimen has worked well for me.
Considering Rossi's less than impressive customer service track record (in my experience) rather than locked get into a Rossi <> my house "endless time loop" ("Star Trek" phraseology) I tend to fix small problems myself.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

pricedo wrote:At the risk of sounding like a "broken record" stripping the gun apart, thoroughly cleaning and scrubbing off each & every one of the parts with alcohol or dechlorinated brake parts cleaner AND polishing all machining and drilling burrs smooth, especially around the throat of the magazine tube, throat of the chamber, lifter & slide and drill holes can improve things immeasurably. This operation will also teach you a lot about the internal infrastructure & mechanical operation of your gun greatly streamlining troubleshooting & repairs down the road.
After the thorough cleaning & deburring lubricate the gun with high quality temperature insensitive machine oil during the reassembly process. I use a small oil painters brush dipped in oil.
After lubrication I allow the gun to self lubricate & self polish (break-in) by cycling at least 100 dummy rounds (or live rounds in a safe place with the "pigtail" safety engaged) through the gun.
I found that after the cleaning, polishing, lubricating & break-in operation that my 92s would be less "fussy" and accept a wider range of ammo cartridge configurations.
Find a load that is suitable for your purposes and that your particular gun likes (will cycle fluidly and shoot accurately) and practice with it.
The above regimen has worked well for me.
Considering Rossi's less than impressive customer service track record (in my experience) rather than locked get into a Rossi <> my house "endless time loop" ("Star Trek" phraseology) I tend to fix small problems myself.
I agree 100% this will get most rossi 92 running goood from the get go, great advice as usaul you beat me to it.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Lognut04

Post by Lognut04 »

You may want to check the clearance between the side rails and a cartridge. It should only be a few .001's (.003 - .005 for the .44 mag). If it is more than this amount, buy some brass shim stock at your local hardware and install a shim behind the right side rail. It's pretty simple to do and can be removed easily if it doesn't solve the problem. It sure solved my 92's feeding problem. Good luck! :)