Removing lower tang

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
chaz12

Removing lower tang

Post by chaz12 »

I wanted to learn how to disassemble the rifle, and I am going by two sources online..a youtube video where a guy installs a spring kit and a written disassembly guide with pictures. I am doing OK until the step where you remove the lower tang. With the hammer/lower tang pin out, the tang does not budge. I have rapped on it with a hammer but there is absolutely no play at all in it. What is the secret to getting it out. Penetrating oil? Brute force? Inquiring minds want to know

Chaz
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Removing lower tang

Post by akuser47 »

If your pin is removed it needs to be gently tapped out directly out straight to the rear of the rifle. as long as the pin is out it will come out and no brite force should not be used unless you are very careful. It has not been that bad for the 3 rifles I have tuned up so far but yours may be different. Let me know I will help if I can.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
chaz12

Post by chaz12 »

Thanks, AKuser. That worked like a charm; it tapped right out using a punch

Two other questions about the carrier.

Mine has a very rough pebbly surface. Is it meant to be that way or should it be smoothed
Do you need to remove the cartridge guides on the sides of the receiver to get the carrier out, or is there another way to get it out.

Chaz
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

you can remove the carrier without removing the giudes on the side there is a screw on each side that are the carrier screws the ends are not threaded on them because they are the hinge for the carrier after you remove them slide the carrier straight back from the bottom were it lays it should not get hung up if you do it this way. Mine is not a finely finished carrier mine is ruff and ugly but it works and I have no issue with it after I have tuned my guns never had to do anything to the carriers. Don't try to fix what is not broke. Only smooth what will give you gains without the risk of damage. You do have to have the lower tang out still to do this I forgot to add this for you. let me know how it goes.
chaz12

Post by chaz12 »

Thanks, again AKuser

I did find out how the carrier slides out underneath the cartridge guides so I did not mess with them. I also did not smooth the top surface of the carrier, but I did smooth the sides some.

It took me three sessions of a couple of hours each and many false starts to get the rifle back together, but now it is. The action does cycle more smoothly now, and the carrier seems to come up every time which it did not always do before. We'll see how it works with shells loaded.

Chaz
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Glad to hear keep us posted if you have any issues. I had mine out today and shot some .38 special 125 grain lead SWC which I don't do to often and my standard loads of 158 grain XTP in .357 mag Mine eats everything I feed it so far and so does my dads after I tuned it a bit. Love these guns. :D