New Rossi 92 owner looking for pointers

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: New Rossi 92 owner looking for pointers

Post by pricedo »

deaddoc4444 wrote:MY plan is to keep this gun as a Cast Bullet Gun ONLY not to shoot any Jacketed bullets through it ever.
I'm not a diehard anything except perhaps a diehard pragmatist.
The best tool &/or methodology for the job is the paradigm I follow.
At my age nostalgia & romance belong in movies.
If by following objective, dispassionate rationale I figure a cast bullet will do the job better for a given task I'll use cast if logic indicates that a jacketed bullet is best to accomplish a purpose jacketed it will be.
If I walk into a store or shop and find say HSM Bear Load factory ammo on for bargain basement prices I'll be darned if I'm going to sweat at a bench over a hot ladle making the same cast lead ammo, I'll just load up my shopping basket (20 boxes last time), skip the work part & cut straight to the fun (shooting at the range or hunting) part........besides I like the Starline brass the HSM ammo is loaded with.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Xshot

Post by Xshot »

I just finished going through my R92. I was cleaner than I though it would be, but I still flushed the frame and bolt with brake cleaner to dislodge anything that I couldn't see. I stoned the rails on the bolt some and polished where the bolt contacts the hammer. Both of these areas had some minor tooling marks. I only replaced my trigger spring with the wire type made by Lee's Gunsmithing. Doing so cut the trigger pull in half and I wouldn't want it any lighter. Since I didn't have a problem with the ejector spring, related to action function, or where my spent cases fell, I left it as is. Besides, I don't think the stock ejector will fail any time soon. Same deal with the factory mainspring, it was GTG and I liked the strong primer strike it provides. Reassembled everything with white lithium grease.

I also knocked the sharp edges of the butt stock and forearm wherever they mated to SS. I had some walnut stain on hand, so I applied it over the factory stain/dye job. This made the grain more visible, revealed some highlights and gave the wood a more classic tone and look. I finished it off with Tru oil.

The R92 runs a bit smoother, feels better in hand and looks good too. Moreover, I feel better knowing everything has been checked and components properly cleaned and lubricated.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Xshot wrote:The R92 runs a bit smoother, feels better in hand and looks good too. Moreover, I feel better knowing everything has been checked and components properly cleaned and lubricated.
That's what it is about :!:
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Xshot wrote:I just finished going through my R92. I was cleaner than I though it would be, but I still flushed the frame and bolt with brake cleaner to dislodge anything that I couldn't see. I stoned the rails on the bolt some and polished where the bolt contacts the hammer. Both of these areas had some minor tooling marks. I only replaced my trigger spring with the wire type made by Lee's Gunsmithing. Doing so cut the trigger pull in half and I wouldn't want it any lighter. Since I didn't have a problem with the ejector spring, related to action function, or where my spent cases fell, I left it as is. Besides, I don't think the stock ejector will fail any time soon. Same deal with the factory mainspring, it was GTG and I liked the strong primer strike it provides. Reassembled everything with white lithium grease.

I also knocked the sharp edges of the butt stock and forearm wherever they mated to SS. I had some walnut stain on hand, so I applied it over the factory stain/dye job. This made the grain more visible, revealed some highlights and gave the wood a more classic tone and look. I finished it off with Tru oil.

The R92 runs a bit smoother, feels better in hand and looks good too. Moreover, I feel better knowing everything has been checked and components properly cleaned and lubricated.
90% of new Rossi "growing pains" will be eliminated by such a regimen followed religiously with each purchase whether bought new or pre-owned.

When a new Rossi or Remlin joins the family I reach for the tool box (my Rossi kit) not a paper target.........if I'm lucky the range test & sighting in will happen a day or 2 after the tune-up.

The "box to bench luxury" is reserved for Turnbulls, Japchesters, Chiappas, Pedersolis costing several times as much as a new Rossi.

Remlin still want the same money all the while delivering a product that insults & denigrates the reputation of the old JM Marlin Company with each substandard rifle boxed in the new New York factory. If you handpick your Remlin and do the required tune-up you can wind up with a good gun. My 2 Rehabilitated Remlins are proof of that.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA