New Rossi 92 owner looking for pointers

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Xshot

New Rossi 92 owner looking for pointers

Post by Xshot »

I just picked up my M92 .357 20in. in stainless. I've only put a few rounds down the tube and everything indicates it will be a fine shooter. The action doesn't bind or have any rough spots. There is a positive click, requires a slight effort, just as the bolt closes and locking bars seat. Spent casings fall within 2 feet of where I stand. I was surprise by trigger. It has zero take-up and just a hint of creep. It breaks cleanly between 4 - 5 pounds (best guess as all my firearms are set between 3 - 3 1/2 pounds). At 25 yards, with no rear sight adjustment, it shot 3 inches low of bulls-eye.

As with all my guns I want to tear it down and thoroughly inspect, clean, polish and lube the innards. Actually, I do most of the work on my guns short of chambering and threading. This is my first lever action, so I've done my research. I aware of Steve's guns video and I may purchase it. However, I not planning on replacing any springs due to the out of the box function. I did find "Slicking up the Rossi 92" and a youtube video, by prokity, that provide good information on how to disassemble the M92. Just wondering if there's more out there to better prepare me for my project. Any pointers or links will be much appreciated.

FWIW - I'm impressed with the M92 package. I'm delighted with the compactness, weight and balance. My light weight hunting rifles and AR's now seem heavy. The 454 Casull just might be in my future.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Rossi 92 owner looking for pointers

Post by Ranch Dog »

I worked on my day old 92 as well today but did not shoot it. I took the forearm off to check and adjust the fit and then removed the butt stock so I could wash it out with brake cleaner. Not very dirty. This rifle is like the last, not a lot of grease packed in it. I used compressed air to blow dry the cleaner then sprayed it down with a good synthetic gun oil and spread the oil with compressed air. I made sure it was very wet with oil. Then, I cycled the action 300 times spraying more oil into as I went. Washed it out good with break cleaner, the oil coming out was brown, dried it, and oiled it for use.

I cleaned the magazine tube with a 45 caliber Bore Snake and replaced the plastic follower with an aluminum one. I do have a stainless steel follower and magazine spring enroute for the rifle and will pop them in when they arrive. Relieved the barrel a little bit more at the forearm band screw, under pretty good tension. The screw tightens right down now.

Put it all back together and it is ready to be sighted in tomorrow.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I get the impression that Braztech/Rossi QC is getting better for the most part.

Guns are apparently arriving NIB without the cracked stocks, rusting, excessive dirt, machining burrs around edges and drill holes that were almost routine in the older vintage Amadeo Rossis and the earlier Braztechs. I'll say no more on the subject for fear I've spoken too soon......knock on wood.

If the trend continues the full Steve's Gunz tune-up regimen will be unnecessary on most new Rossi 92s unless the guns will be run in Cowboy Action competitions.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I agree with you P'do. It would be nice to think that the lack of availability of certain models (454 Casull) has been due to a slow down for quality control. Okay, okay, now I'm really dreaming. Actually, my 357 Mag would have been perfect out of the box had about 5 minutes more been spent on the barrel band fit. I do realize that in a production line, 5 minutes can be a lifetime. I just refuse to torque the hell out of the rifle to get that screw around the barrel.

Braztech has been sitting on the edge of dominating the levergun market for about 18 months to a year. A little effort on their part would make it happen. Expanding both the Rio Grande and 92 line to cover all the traditional cartridges and then surprising their customers with the introduction of the '86/'71 would make them the leader in levergun market especially if the QC continues to improve.

I have a hunter fretting over a 44 Mag purchase right now. He wants a scope sighted, 20" barreled rifle. He has been shooting both my 1894 and R92 and they sit on the bench as equals. The R92 has the weight advantage, it is lighter. He's a Bushnell XLT shooter so there is no price difference between the appropriate scope and the Weaver K4 Scout. He has no issue with a scout mount. Our dealer has tried but is not able to get a 1894 and the last price he had would put it in the customers hands at $580. The R92 would be $395. Joe has worked with me on my latest 92 and there has really been nothing to point out other than the barrel band. I suspect there will be another 92 in the hands of a hunter on my place this fall.

I wander off topic with that first cup of coffee in the morning...
Michael
Xshot

Post by Xshot »

Prior to purchasing my R92 I read everything I could find about it. My take away was the design was sound and any potential issues with the R92 are easily and economically corrected. That said, I was somewhat concerned about just buying one off an auction site without being able to inspect it first. As luck would have it, one showed up on Gunbroker by a dealer just 40 miles from me. I called him, jumped in the car and the rest is history. He also had a 20 inch octagon with a case hardened frame. Beautiful looking rifle and equal to the SS model in function, fit and finish. I just liked the weight and balance of the SS model better. He told me both had just arrived the day before. So there may be something to their QC being improved.

I may be new to lever guns, but I'm thinking I got a good one right out of the box - time will tell.
Gaterskiner

Post by Gaterskiner »

I have found no real fault with my new 92 .45 colt.the only hitch in the action is upon final closing. the empty cases land at my feet, shoots to point of aim, decent trigger. Have not taken it down yet but I did pull the forearm band just to ckeck fit. It seems fine slipped right off and back on with no problem and the screw went back with no problem. gun is fine. I am pleased.
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I've known for years that Rossi was fully capable of turning out a fine product. I've closely examined a few other Navy Arms 1892s and they looked and functioned as well as mine. As mentioned above, should Rossi get it's QC squared away, they would be a major player in the lever gun market.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
deaddoc4444

Post by deaddoc4444 »

Got my M92 about a month ago ( stainless 357 20" ) COULDN'T wait for proper take down before firing it . I Did run a patch or two down the barrel to make sure it was un-ubstructed and fairly clean ( I was surprised it was as good as it was ) Wiped down the action, ran a few Q-tips in side the chamber and action to remove excess grease or metal shavings etc . Then took it to my range for a few shots . Shot some 160 grain cast I had sitting around with a healthy load of 2400.
Gun functioned pretty well fed well but had to "Squeeze " the lever a few times "FIRMLY " to get a few sounds to chamber It appeared to be case bulge from either excessive crimp or Thick case walls ( bullets were sized to 358) BUT they shot well and extracted well "Most of the time " I did have a few rounds that did not come out of the chamber after working the lever and had to be hand extracted . My feelings for this was that I had failed to clean the action /chamber / extractor / ejector area enough prior to firing the gun . I stopped there >
Rounds , from a seated fairly firm position at 75 yards found rounds going about 18 inches to the right and very high . Sights were set, from factory and appeared to be centered. Lowered the rear sight to the lowest position and still had rounds going about 3 inches high . Moved the rear sight a bit to the left and the front sight a bit to the right and still had rounds going to much to the right . By that time the extraction problem began to creep up so nothing more got done.
Havn't touched the gun since then. This afternoons project is set to tear the gun down ( FINALLY ) and get it cleaned and functioning well . Then off to my range tomorrow to shoot some new reloads . MY plan is to keep this gun as a Cast Bullet Gun ONLY not to shoot any Jacketed bullets through it ever .
The positives were that the gun "FEELS " great , trigger broke VERY WELL and did not appear to be very heavy . Loading and unloading were without flaws . Hope it does better tomorrow !
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Deaddoc, my 1892 was a bit clunky when just out of the box, but working the action smoothed it out. Sometimes that's all that's needed.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

deaddoc4444 wrote:MY plan is to keep this gun as a Cast Bullet Gun ONLY not to shoot any Jacketed bullets through it ever.
That's the plan for every gun I own! :shock:
Michael