Picked up my fourth 92...

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Picked up my fourth 92...

Post by pricedo »

44-40 Willy wrote:According to TomRay over at Marlin Owners who was a Marlin engineer until the plant moved to Ilion, Marlin used a special plastic called Delrin which is a tough material with a very low coefficient of friction. Not your regular plastic. No idea what Rossi uses though.
Maybe metal is too rigid. :?:
Maybe plastic followers replaced metal followers for a reason besides economy. :?:
Perhaps the plastic followers are SUPERIOR technology. :?:
I know Dad dinged the magazine tube on a 94 made in the 40's when he dropped it out of a tree stand and had to get a new mag tube because those things are almost impossible to get back in shape once they are dinged. There were no plastic followers back then.
Maybe the more flexible plastic followers were invented to introduce some "forgiveness" into the tube magazine loading assembly. :?:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, may be the plastic isn't so bad when you start to think about it. I did get The Smith Shop follower in. Here they sit together.

The Smith Shop dropped right in, thunk, just like the plastic one. It is carbon copy of the Rossi follower. The red aluminum follower I purchased on eBay doesn't look the same but the pointy end is the right length, just a longer base. Also put in the SS magazine spring I received.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I also slugged the rifle today. The groove is right at the SAAMI spec of .3550". Bore is .3450". Looks like I will be sizing my TLC359 bullets to .357". Might even try my 9mm Luger bullet, the TLC356-135-RF. This bullet actually has a .357 body with a .356" bore rider nose. Ought to fit right nice into the chamber.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

44-40 Willy wrote:According to TomRay over at Marlin Owners who was a Marlin engineer until the plant moved to Ilion, Marlin used a special plastic called Delrin which is a tough material with a very low coefficient of friction. Not your regular plastic. No idea what Rossi uses though.
I do notice that the Rossi followers get scratched up. The Marlin followers always look brand new. At least the ones I've looked at.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I replaced the plastic followers in my 2 Rehabilitated Remlins with the metal followers from Wild West Guns of Alaska and the plastic followers from my 92s and Rio Grande with Steve's Gunz followers.
Didn't notice scratches or wear on any of the plastic followers from the Remlins or Rossis but RD probably shoots a lot more than I do.
My Rossis & Remlins have all "settled in" now with pet loads (either factory or hand loads) that work well in them and I've never been a prolific paper puncher.........probably a attitudinal throwback to the my "leaner" childhood days when a box of ammo was a big investment.
Back then I'd take 2 or 3 early fall shots to confirm "0" with the iron sights on my .22LR Cooey and each and every shot thereafter was accounted for by a rabbit, ruffed grouse or spruce hen deposited proudly on the kitchen table for mom to make her wonderful stew.
Old "burned in" habits die hard & I could own a gun for 10 years and the plastic followers would remain pristine.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

You're right about ammo being a big investment as a kid. Most of the target practice I got back then was shooting blue jays out of my Grandpa's pecan orchid. We got a 10 cent per bird "bounty" from him. $1 for a crow. Any squirrels just went to dumplings.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

44-40 Willy wrote:You're right about ammo being a big investment as a kid.
Shoot, it is a huge investment nowadays!
Michael
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by massmanute »

Ranch Dog wrote:... My 190 grain TLC359-190-RF, for the 35 Rem, is working as well when seated in 38 Spl brass. There should be a lot of utility with this rifle.

Have your fired the 190 grain bullets in the Rossi yet? Does the Rossi stabilize the 190 grain cast bullet?

Also, can you tell us if the load in the 38 special case is one of the loads from the ranchdog web page?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

massmanute wrote:Have your fired the 190 grain bullets in the Rossi yet? Does the Rossi stabilize the 190 grain cast bullet?

Also, can you tell us if the load in the 38 special case is one of the loads from the ranchdog web page?
No, I haven't shot the 190 yet in the rifle, just haven't had the time. My 357 is really going to fall to the back burn with hunting season approaching. I'm done with the R92 in 45 Colt but want to do a little fine tuning this month with my R92 in 44 Mag and 480 Ruger plus the RGs in 38-55 Win and 45-70 Govt. Not going to leave much time.

The 357 data on the TLC359-190-RF can be used with 38 Spl brass or 357 Mag brass, either trimmed to fit one of the crimp grooves. The overall length is what matters, not the headstamp, as long as the OAL is not shorter than 1.59", the data is valid.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Shot my 357 mag with my 175-grain bullet. Worked like a champ. I stuck a "peel and stick" target spot on some cardboard at my 25-yard berm. Put 5 shots through it! Moved it out to 50-yards with a real target and it took me three shots to get the sight picture right but once I was had the bead properly centered, put three through the bullseye.

I didn't do so well at 100 yards. The front sight bead literally covers up about 50% of the 8 1/2" X 11" target sheet.

I hate to waste the potential sub MOA performance. I have a R92 base and another Weaver K4 scout. Might put them on and see what this rifle is capable of. The rifle was a very pleasant low recoil and report shooter and possibly will out shoot my 1894C.
Michael