Picked up my fourth 92...

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Picked up my fourth 92...

Post by Ranch Dog »

2012 56-001, slick and clean as my other Braztech was! First thing I seem to do now is test the loading gate, perfect. Cycles my large TLC359-175-RF without issue. Removed the rear sight for the Skinner Peep and the barrel is drilled and tapped for the P892 Rossi Mount. Hmmm... I have a couple of mounts and an extra Weaver K4 Scout. Got to think about what I want from this rifle. Going to pull it apart tonight and try to shoot it tomorrow.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Picked up my fourth 92...

Post by akuser47 »

I can't wait for the final results of your new rifle
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My FFL has some great prices as well. Rifle was $395!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

What caliber is it? :?:
How long is the barrel? :?:
I would assume by the bullet designation "TLC359-175-RF" that it's a 357 Magnum. :?:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I have the rifle about 50% busted down. Everything a nice fit and finish including the front barrel band (the toughest fit on a 92 IMHO). Went ahead and ended the sight system question for now, installed my Skinner peep! Very nice fit but did take a little filing per the instructions.

Oh, that is my TLC359-175-RF sitting up on the vise.

Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:What caliber is it? :?:
I would assume by the bullet designation "TLC359-175-RF" that it's a 357 Magnum. :?:
Sorry about that. The 56-001 is a 357 Mag with round 20" barrel.

The "TLC359-175-RF" is my 175-grain 357 Mag bullet. My 190 grain TLC359-190-RF, for the 35 Rem, is working as well when seated in 38 Spl brass. There should be a lot of utility with this rifle.

Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:What caliber is it? :?:
Sorry about that. The 56-001 is a 357 Mag with round 20" barrel.

The "TLC359-175-RF" is my 175-grain 357 Mag bullet. My 190 grain TLC359-190-RF, for the 35 Rem, is working as well when seated in 38 Spl brass. There should be a lot of utility with this rifle.
My 357 Mag is a 16" Amadeo Rossi M92.
It's a real shooter with the factory iron.
It was pretty good right off the rack & didn't need a tune up other than a drop or 2 or oil.
Getting a perfect Rossi NIB got me to thinking it was my lucky day so I bought a lottery ticket........unfortunately the good luck for that day was a 1-shot deal, the lottery ticket bombed & I'm still a working stiff. :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

A 92 in 357? You're doomed! :mrgreen:

Seriously, a 357 rifle is about the most fun you can have with your pants on. Accurate with almost no felt recoil and hits pretty hard for it's caliber. And they're pretty cheap to feed too. What's not to like?

I've got two 357 rifles (Navy Arms 1892 and Marlin 1894 Carbine) and would make room for more should a good opportunity arise.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The only issue I ended up having with my 357 Mag was that damned forearm band fit. I would love to watch them force that screw through the forearm! I picture the forearm in a vice, a padded pipe wrench across the receiver with a three foot cheater, and a lot of muscle torquing the hell out everything just to get a screw to engage two lands. Incredible!

This forearm, like my last one, was shattered between the barrel and the magazine tube from the pressure that had been applied to it. I didn't want to work with it as I wanted to shoot the rifle but it was impossible for me not to deal with it. Here is what the band screw looked like.

As the forearm and magazine were torqued to get the screw past the barrel, contact with the barrel stripped the threads. There is no way the screw can pass through the forearm, without some incredible torque and pressure being applied to these components. None!

I did what I've had to do with all my 92s, except the 480 Ruger, relieve the barrel properly. I fit it in these steps.

1st - Band vs. screw Fit - I have found the band deformed from the Rossi installation! This one was squashed. I had to reshape it to fit the barrel and forearm radius. This step took the longest, about an hour, because I needed to keep going from my vice to the barrel and vice to forearm to make until the shape matched perfectly.

2nd - Band vs. Barrel Fit - It took a bit of filing with a series of round files but not to the extent that my 45 Colt required. I finish the work with wet & dry 600 grit on a wooden dowel. Those scratches on the barrel are from Rossi, not me!

3rd - Band vs.Forearm vs. Screw Fit - I have relieved the screw hole on all four of my 92s from 9/64" to 11/64" and then finish the work smooth with appropriate files and sand paper.

I had not relieved the forearm of it's middle material at this point but soon found that I still could not seat the band screw. Everything was lined up. I could see the screw at the hole but the stock needed to be compressed to seat it. Not good in my opinion as that is just going to apply an unknown pressure to the barrel. I removed the material from the middle of the stock with an exacto knife. This is where you learn that Brazilian hardwood is not the hardwood we know. Cuts like balsa!

With the stock relieved, the screw was seated without any pressure. Just threaded it in. The amount of pressure on the forearms of my 92s has been ridiculous, the rifles would have never lived up to their accuracy potential. If you wonder about that, remove the forearm and tube, then shoot your rifle. That is how most of my pressure trace shooting is done and it is amazing how the forearm and tube with goofy torque/pressure effects the rifle.

With the buggered screw, I was happy that I have been ordering Rossi parts. Look at the new Braztech Barrel Band Screw...

Notice the new "tip"? With everything aligned it sure seats easier and quicker. It is tougher to get in if the Rossi "Torque" technique is used to seat the screw as there are fewer threads to crush as the screw worms itself past the barrel.

Okay, the Skinner peep was laser bore sighted so now I'm ready to shoot. It might be awhile as next week is fall planting week and the tractor is going to be running around the clock for about four to five days. Three of us work in 6 hour shifts and never shut it down.

Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:The only issue I ended up having with my 357 Mag was that damned forearm band fit. I would love to watch them force that screw through the forearm! I picture the forearm in a vice, a padded pipe wrench across the receiver with a three foot cheater, and a lot of muscle torquing the hell out everything just to get a screw to engage two lands. Incredible!
They say old Amadeo Rossi had forearms like Popeye.
Maybe that's where he got em.........twisting those stocks to put the screws in. :mrgreen:

Seriously, it kinda solves the mystery of all the split stocks that the old Rossi 92s had NIB.
The frustrated owners automatically blamed the Brazilian jungle-wood instead of the assembly process.
In light of the band problems that initial assumption needs to be rethought.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA