Barrel band problem

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
chaz12

Barrel band problem

Post by chaz12 »

I recently bought an older LSI puma, and I wanted to refinish the stock so I removed the lower barrel band and handgrip. Much to my surprise, I could not get the barrel band screw re-installed. I know some others have had this problem. I found a thread on this forum started by Ranch Dog that was very informative and helpful. It reinforced my opinion that the problem was interference of the screw by the notch in the bottom of the barrel. Since I am not a gunsmith by any means, I did not feel safe deepening the barrel notch, as Ranch Dog did on his.

My solution was to grind down the shaft of the barrel band screw, hopefully accomplishing the same purpose. I had to take off quite a bit of steel before it worked, but eventually the screw went back in. My digital caliper read about .110 inches when the screw ended up fitting. It started out at about .135 inches. I chucked the screw in a power drill and used it like a lathe. You need a pretty sharp machinists file to make much progress.

This may be an alternative solution for some

Chaz
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Barrel band problem

Post by pricedo »

I alter the cheapest most replaceable part first if it will accomplish the same purpose unless there's an outstanding reason for not doing so.
I'll file on the barrel band before touching the metal on the barrel itself.
A screwed up barrel band is several orders of magnitude less of a problem that a botch job on the barrel itself.
I check with the internet and get all the information available from gurus and professional gunsmiths before even opening the tool box.
Once you remove metal you can't put it back so you'd better know what your doing on the FIRST attempt.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA