M 92 Wood?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Gaterskiner

M 92 Wood?

Post by Gaterskiner »

The mystery wood on my 92 Is probably typical, little grain and less finish. Thinking of putting some Tung oil right over it. Anyone tried this?
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: M 92 Wood?

Post by pricedo »

Gaterskiner wrote:The mystery wood on my 92 Is probably typical, little grain and less finish. Thinking of putting some Tung oil right over it. Anyone tried this?
I like the mystery wood.
In my 3 x Amadeo Rossi M92s the wood is plain jane and competent.
Competent wood is wood that will support the gun during firing without breaking or splitting and will not warp & swell unduly when exposed to the elements........in other words it is functional & does it's job.
I give my 92s furniture a good rub down with boiled Linseed oil once in a while, letting it soak in overnite and then wiping off the excess in the morning.
My Rossis were bought as utility rifles (they work for a living) and I'm not mistaking them for Pedersolis or Turnbulls where I'd be hypersensitive about scratches & nicks on the metal or wood.
In fact the more nicks & scratches my 92s get the more genuine they look.
They bounce around in the backs of pick-ups, get carried in back packs that might go for a tumble once in a while and lay around on the bottom of canoes & boats.
The lack-luster wood gives my 92s that legacy look like they'd been lying around forgotten in an attic for 100 years, the only give away is the rich, lustrous bluing and I've been asked on occasion how much it cost to re-blue my Winchesters and where I got it done.
My dad owned a real Winny 92 (44-40) and it looked like heck with the factory bluing mostly all gone and the wood looked a lot like the wood on my Rossi 92s......I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the deer that rifle took.
The gun was meticulously cared for but time & hard use takes their toll........Dad was like me and didn't "baby" his guns.........they were tools that got used.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Gaterskiner

Post by Gaterskiner »

Not expecting it to look beautiful. Just want to protect it from moisture A bit better than I think it is now. BLO may be the way to go.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Gaterskiner wrote:Not expecting it to look beautiful. Just want to protect it from moisture A bit better than I think it is now. BLO may be the way to go.
Works for me!
Soaks in good and protects the wood without making it greasy & slippery.
Gives the furniture that legacy oil finish look.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I used fromby's tung oil has a low gloss or gloss version tung oil that is easy to apply and protect and makes it look sexy I have done many stocks in BLO as well and the results were great either should be an improvement over factory stain.
The following links will take you to some of my threads on this site and another for what i did. Many don't even remove the wood and just apply it will on the gun and had great results as you will see costeve has done with his on ar15.com his turned out nice i love mine and it has darked alot as the oil has penetrated more love it.
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=104
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_47/36133 ... oose_.html
Last edited by akuser47 on 13 Sep 2012 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Lognut04

Post by Lognut04 »

I recently bought a stainless Rossi 92 in .44mag with a 24" barrel. The wood was very plain as you described. I removed the fore arm and rear stock, wiped them down a couple of times with mineral spirits and let them dry overnite. I then applied a dark walnut oil stain, let it dry overnite and then applied several coats of Armorall and tru-oil (at least 8) rubbing each one in with my fingers. Each coat dries in less than a half hour. I was at the beach on vacation so I had plenty of spare time on my hands. After the final coat, I rubbed all surfaces down with 0000 steel wood and applied a coat of floor wax. Truely amazing how good the wood looks now. I had never tried this finish combo before but it really works - the grain pops now. :)
Gaterskiner

Post by Gaterskiner »

Armor all and tru oil? Please explane.
temmi

Post by temmi »

I just used tru oil.

took about 5 coats

Looks good now

Snake
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Gaterskiner wrote:Armor all and tru oil? Please explane.
This is an interesting option I have yet to try There is a turturial for this some where and it looks interesting have not tried it yet, I hope that some one will post the info again it looks like a nice way to go. all to their own either way oil finishes look nice.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Dr. A

Post by Dr. A »

I got some Watco Danish oil med. walnut as per Costeve on this thread. It really does work. Not many of these products have any real tung oil.

http://www.shootersforum.com/model-92s- ... 4-mag.html

The Watco has certainly livened up and brought out the quality of the wood on my 55 marlin. Don't have a pic at this point, though.