NEED HELP DECIDING WHICH MODEL 92 AS MY 1ST ONE!!!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Dr. A

Re: NEED HELP DECIDING WHICH MODEL 92 AS MY 1ST ONE!!!

Post by Dr. A »

Geeze, as with all situations, I prefer to have representatives of both guns. I got my first Rossi cause i couldn't find a 24 inch Marlin CB I wanted to to pay for. Its difficult to put appropriate sights on and definitely more painful to shoot hot loads. I'll use it for the bulk of my shooting, because I don't want to put so much wear and tear on my Marlin, but the Marlin is still my first choice, and since easily scoped, would be my hunting choice as well. Weight like a 1894 at this point doesn't mean anything to me. The ability to put a rear mounted peep sight on the receiver, tang sight, scope or whatever is worth alot. The cheapness, availability, and now quality of the Rossi are attractive. Its also much more tempting than any Winchester I ever saw. I can't stand a rebounding hammer...
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

What I can't stand is the old Winchester arrogance from a rump of a company that has sold out its American heritage and now wants us to pay 5 times the money for something that isn't even genuine or true to design and doesn't put a single American to work......"Our lawyers said you're getting a rebounding hammer and a tang safety, so there, take it or leave it".

Here was a company like GMC that never grasped the notion of selling the customer what they wanted and their business went down the toilette and is still in the toilette. I'll bet they're not selling many of their super expensive Japchesters.

Long story short I left it and chose Rossi & Pedersoli for my American legacy gun clones........at the time I made my purchases the Amadeo Rossi 92s were true to design and very cheap. Quality was "pot luck" (and it still is) so you had to pick and choose your gun carefully. The Pedersoli M86/71 was the same price as the Winchester counterpart but better made, prettier and faithful to the original design.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
JS44

Post by JS44 »

My r92 in 44 mag with 16" barrel has been drilled and tapped under the rear sight. I got it not long ago from Bud's.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

JS44 wrote:My r92 in 44 mag with 16" barrel has been drilled and tapped under the rear sight. I got it not long ago from Bud's.
I have an Amadeo Rossi M92 (no "pigtail" safety) with 16" bbl in 44 Mag & another in 357 Mag...........love those 2 gun :D s.
Never checked under the rear sight but I will.
Might throw a Scout Scope on them if the old peepers decide to go south.
I can still hit what I'm aiming at with the factory iron so I'll stick with the iron as long as that remains true.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

All this talk sent me over the edge today, called my FFL and told him to get me a R92-56001 to look at! That is the 20" round barrel carbine chambered in 357 Mag.
Michael
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

pricedo wrote:What I can't stand is the old Winchester arrogance from a rump of a company that has sold out its American heritage and now wants us to pay 5 times the money for something that isn't even genuine or true to design and doesn't put a single American to work......"Our lawyers said you're getting a rebounding hammer and a tang safety, so there, take it or leave it".

Here was a company like GMC that never grasped the notion of selling the customer what they wanted and their business went down the toilette and is still in the toilette. I'll bet they're not selling many of their super expensive Japchesters.
There was a guy over at Marlin Owners a few weeks ago that had bought one of those Japchesters and decided to go on the Rossi forum there and trash Rossis while bragging about his "genuine Winchester". He never did seem to get it that Rossi owners get as least just as much gun for less than half the money.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Gaterskiner

Post by Gaterskiner »

There was a guy over at Marlin Owners a few weeks ago that had bought one of those Japchesters and decided to go on the Rossi forum there and trash Rossis while bragging about his "genuine Winchester". He never did seem to get it that Rossi owners get as least just as much gun for less than half the money.[/quote]

That fella was proud of his Winchester. I looked at them, but they were out of my price range.
My new M92 .45 is D&T for the scout mount.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

44-40 Willy wrote:
pricedo wrote:What I can't stand is the old Winchester arrogance from a rump of a company that has sold out its American heritage and now wants us to pay 5 times the money for something that isn't even genuine or true to design and doesn't put a single American to work......"Our lawyers said you're getting a rebounding hammer and a tang safety, so there, take it or leave it".

There was a guy over at Marlin Owners a few weeks ago that had bought one of those Japchesters and decided to go on the Rossi forum there and trash Rossis while bragging about his "genuine Winchester". He never did seem to get it that Rossi owners get as least just as much gun for less than half the money.
Unless you figure a cheap looking veneer finish is worth $800 extra.
I love my Browning BLR "81" in .308 Win which is also made by Miroku of Japan but I only paid $800 for it.
They want $1100 - $1300 for the Japchester 92s.
I put a guy to shame with my 16" Rossi 92/44 Mag who had a Japchester 92 in 44 Mag even though he had an extra 4" inches of barrel.
The guy was a decent shot and did everything right but in my opinion the Japchester just wasn't as accurate as the Rossi.
My 50 yard groups were 1/2 the size of his.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Interesting that you should bring up accuracy on a Miroku. Back in the early 80s, I bought a brand spanking new Browning pump 22 Mag that was made by Miroku and spent a small fortune on it thinking, it's a Browning, it's got to be good. Open sights, it'd get about a 6" group at 25 yards, no matter who was doing the shooting. Put a high dollar Leopold scope on it and it didn't improve a bit. That was the worst shooting gun I ever bought. I eventually sold it to a guy cheap and never have had any interest in anything from Miroku again. I took a bath on that one.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Turkey Huntsman

Post by Turkey Huntsman »

JS44 wrote:My r92 in 44 mag with 16" barrel has been drilled and tapped under the rear sight. I got it not long ago from Bud's.
OK, my spirits are again elevated by the above comment. I borrowed a pair of Rossi 92s from a friend in .357 and .44, both 20 " barrels. Even with the 20" tube, my old eyes cant resolve the front sight into a sharp enough image for me to hunt with. Soooooo.....a scout scope it will HAVE to be for me. And since I will use a scope anyway, I'll get the shorter 16" barrel gun to lose a bit of weight and gain some portability. The .44 is kick-ass and takes no prisoners, so that will be the caliber.

I found a local FFL whom will source the 16" .44 at a decent price for me, so I'm going with him instead of the usual mail order.

Now, I've got fingers crossed that MY gun will also come from the same lot with a drilled/tapped barrel as JS44's did. I've got a master machinist friend whom said he would drill/tap the Rossi if I needed that done, as we don't have a single gunsmith here in San Diego that can be trusted. He is very skilled, but I still get the willies thinking about this modification. I'd be much happier if Rossi already did it at the factory.

If I need to modify the gun, I'll be asking if you guys can provide the locations for the holes drilled by Rossi, their diameter, thread pitch and depth if anybody is able to help out. For now, lets just cross fingers that the gun comes already drilled...

-Dennis
San Diego, CA