NEED HELP DECIDING WHICH MODEL 92 AS MY 1ST ONE!!!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: NEED HELP DECIDING WHICH MODEL 92 AS MY 1ST ONE!!!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Turkey Huntsman wrote:I was initially buoyed by dpe.ahoy's comment that the barrels were all drilled and tapped, then equally deflated when Michael reported otherwise. Total cost of ownership is a concern for this retired guy (think: fixed income), and paying over $100 to drill/tap the barrel is a definite downside. I searched the web dealers for the 20" Rossi scout rifle and couldn't find one anywhere. Perhaps there are dealers with large Rossi inventory that I've not yet considered?
Sorry Dude, just telling it as I have discovered it. I've only see four Rossi scout rifles appear on the internet in the last 18 months. I purchased the 44 Mag and 45 Colt. Davidson's sent an email out a couple of months ago for the 357 Mag, they had acquired two in stock. I was at the computer when I got the notice but going through checkout I was too late. They both had been purchased.

If haven't noticed, finding a used Rossi is very rare.
Turkey Huntsman wrote:If I can't find a Rossi scout model, the Marlin Model 1894 starts to look more attractive. With it's side-eject and drilled/tapped receiver, mounting a scope or red dot would involve no additional expense. That being said, the Marlins base price is quite a bit more expensive than the Rossi, and I've read many a horror story about poor quality in the new models since Winchester bought them out. I don't know what to think about all that. I will say this, in the store I hefted both the Marlin and R92 side-by side. The Marlin was WAY heavier than the Rossi, and that brings me right back to my original problem of hunting pigs with an overly-long and heavy .30-06.
Both of my 1894s are tanks. I typically leave the house and walk one way or another across my place. I can end up about a 1 1/2 miles from my home and then I head back. The weight difference between the Marlin 1894 and Rossi 92 is huge. The 1894 is similar to toting the Rossi Rio Grande.
Turkey Huntsman wrote:There seems no overwhelmingly best choice in this matter, does there?
In that the 357 Mag scout rifles have been so thin, I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a stock 16" or 20" 357 Mag and my plan is to shoot the Skinner Peep Sight. I tried the SG Safety Plug Peep and did not care of it. I have the SCJ44 Circuit Judge, which is a 44 Mag, and have been thinking about the Skinner Sight for it as well. I keep the SCJ in my truck and I do not really need a scope on it. The sights that came with the CJ are about as cheap as they come. Low quality plastic.
pricedo wrote:In regards to the scout scopes, mounts, rails & accessories there are also a lot of bargain priced choices on Amazon.com.
I find that scope fastening attachments with Torx screws are a lot more robust and "competent" that the usual shallow slotted flat head screws that have a tendency to strip out and bugger when tightening.
Using Loctite and Torx screw attachments does not result in the attachment becoming a permanent fixture of the gun.
I like to keep the "back door" open so that in the future I can remove an attachment that breaks, malfunctions or no longer meets my needs.
The higher quality Warne products use Torx screws.
I don't know about that. Amazon offers two side mounts. One by Sun Optics and the other a B Square. I had high hopes at least for the B Square but sent them both back the day I received them. I did not shoot them, but simply looking at them they were bulky and I would venture that the reviews were very accurate, will come loose and will mar your receiver. At least Amazon has a no hassle return policy. I've also tried all the scout mounts for Marlin and Winchester lever guns. The only one I could not return was the Wild West as they said if I bought it for a Rossi, they would not take it back. Nothing other than the Rossi mount fits the contour or taper (slope) of the Rossi barrel. At issue of things coming loose is not the screws but the depth of the screw holes. There is very little "meat" between outer diameter and groove diameter, much less than any Marlin or Winchester that I own. I will continue to epoxy my mounts to the barrel, Warne products will not solve the issue at hand.

I've spent a lot of money chasing this, typical of the way I handle things as I want to know first hand. I have no problem returning or turning anything that doesn't work. I've purchase all the scopes and all the hardware. Only thing I'm stuck with is the Wild West mount which I will eventually put on a Win 94 that has not been used in two decades. Already have the Weaver K4 Scout waiting for the work to be done but I need to get my R92 480 Ruger back.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Besides I'm the official forum Luddite when it comes to Scout Scopes and the model 92 levergun.
They are admittedly very effective but 92s & barrel mounted scopes go together like spaghetti sauce on ice cream in pricedo eyes.
My analyst is working on a therapy regimen that might help me resolve this issue. ;)
I have had a complete change of heart in regards to the "pigtail" safeties on the Braztech 92s.
The "pigtail" makes unloading, de-cocking & test cycling ammo in a 92 safer operations.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:They are admittedly very effective but 92s & barrel mounted scopes go together like spaghetti sauce on ice cream in pricedo eyes.
Oh Man, spaghetti sauce on ice cream! Its the best ;)

Me too on the pigtails, they aren't that bad and serve a definite purpose. The real life "pig tails" are hating the R92 and my Rio Grandes are hating them as well.

Questions for everyone! Does anyone have a non-scout 92 (normal stock without the synthetic comb), that is drilled and tapped for the Rossi R92 scope mount?

Next, any guesses why used R92s are so tough to find? Only seen two in the last 18 months and I bought one of them and wished I had bought the other.
Michael
Turkey Huntsman

Post by Turkey Huntsman »

92s & barrel mounted scopes go together like spaghetti sauce on ice cream in pricedo eyes.
Pricedo, I'm quite with you on the aesthetics of scoping a lever-action scout gun. There is just something not quite right about melding an iconic symbol of the wild-west with modern optics. I cringe a bit too. That being said...I really don't have much choice with my ever-weakening eyesight. Better to be "uncool" than to not be able to aim the darn thing! This time around, aesthetics must be dammed for the sake of function!

Michael, you brought up the scaricity of Rossi factory scout rifles, so I won't even bother to look for one. I guess I'll have to live with the additional cost of having the barrel drilled/tapped if I need a scope. Did you mention EPOXY??? Please do tell more. Are the screws just too short to provide a secure, reliable mount? Is the epoxy on the screw threads (ala' Locktite), or are you using it to actually bond the barrel and mount together? If so, I'm curious as to what type of epoxy and technique are used. I'd assume the barrel and mount would be sanded to provide rough surfaces for the epoxy to grab on...

You also mentioned the .357 mag in the M92. It so happens that I'm already invested in that caliber, owning a much-loved Ruger SP101. I considered buying my 92 in .357 for that reason, but dismissed that caliber as not having quite enough energy to hunt pigs and deer at 100 yards. Being that you are a very experienced hog hunter, perhaps you would care to comment on that. Getting a .357 model would spare me from having to buy another revolver in .44 mag - just to have a "match."

I think the Marlin 1894 is going to stay out of the consideration set. Just too darn heavy. At that weight, might as well drag my .30-06 out in the brush.

Thanks again,
-TH
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I've killed a lot of deer with my Navy Arms in 357 and I own a Marlin 1894 in 357 that killed two or three deer annually for over 20 years when my cousin owned it. I got a few pigs too when I was living down in Arkansas with that 1892. I hunt in thickets and pick my shots, but I do that with anything I'm hunting. But I wouldn't hesitate on a deer at 100 yards with a 357 rifle. And maybe a bit more depending on the opportunity at hand. That Navy Arms has proven accurate out to 400 yards, but I like to be as close as I can get when I pull the trigger on game.

Within 100 yards, a properly loaded 357 rifle can keep up with a 30-30 using similar bullet weights (158 vs 150gr)
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

As far as deer and hogs go, a 357 Mag will handle just about all your needs inside 100 yards.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Turkey Huntsman wrote:Michael, you brought up the scaricity of Rossi factory scout rifles, so I won't even bother to look for one. I guess I'll have to live with the additional cost of having the barrel drilled/tapped if I need a scope. Did you mention EPOXY??? Please do tell more. Are the screws just too short to provide a secure, reliable mount? Is the epoxy on the screw threads (ala' Locktite), or are you using it to actually bond the barrel and mount together? If so, I'm curious as to what type of epoxy and technique are used. I'd assume the barrel and mount would be sanded to provide rough surfaces for the epoxy to grab on...
Take a look at this post TH, Scout Scopes. It is 10 pages long but details all the ups and downs of my experience. As far as epoxying the base down, it is the complete base. I used JB Weld.

Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Oh, meant to add: scopes on a 92? Three dead hogs last night between 11:30 pm and 2:00 am, moon illumination only!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Oh, meant to add: scopes on a 92? Three dead hogs last night between 11:30 pm and 2:00 am, moon illumination only!
If I was night hunting hogs in Texas bush that presents a homogenous sight picture of background & game animal at the best of times I'd definitely be gritting my teeth and Scout scoping my 92s.

Aesthetics & nostalgia don't justify wounded game and wild flying bullets when the technology is available to do better.

In different bush where the game animals can be clearly distinguished from the background the iron sights are still working just fine for me.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Turkey Huntsman

Post by Turkey Huntsman »

Guys, thanks again for the additional information. Yikes! The more I learn, the more difficult my decision becomes: Rossi/Marlin? 16" or 20" tube? .357/.44? Scope or simple sights? Spinning head syndrome...

-The Marlins are way heavy, but make scope mounting a breeze.
-The 16" tube is wonderfully light and portable, but makes sighting (especially w/simple sights) more difficult with the short sight radius.
-A .357 will "do the job," (and I have a .357 revolver already) but the .44 undoubtedly has that assurance factor of reserve power for a heavily-armored boars, or that bit of extra distance
-Rossi considerably less expensive than Marlin (but not if I have to drill/tap Rossi for a scope!)
-Cant find any 16" guns at local stores to help me decide what works or not.

This is fertile ground for schizophrenia to take root. Maybe I should be looking for a bottle of lithium tabs? :o

Perhaps I should put up a post here and over in Calguns, to see if there are any local San Diego shooters whom have 92s they might be willing to let me shoot and compare. Other than that, it's taking a chance and buying sight-unseen, as usual for us in these barren parts...