Is An R92 Right For Me?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
BigIron44

Is An R92 Right For Me?

Post by BigIron44 »

I've been an AK-47 guy for the past decade but recently some changes in my life have occurred that will have me traveling through many states that aren't exactly 2A friendly. Over the past few years I've come to really enjoy .44 magnum revolvers and I was thinking a lever action in that caliber might be a more travel friendly longarm for me. An R92 Trapper is shorter and nearly half the weight of my current rifle and there's no bulky spare magazines to have to worry about. 30rds of .44 magnum weighs less than a loaded 30rd AK mag, too. I also appreciate the fact that there's no sharp bits or long magazines poking out of the lever action carbine, seems like it should be a lot easier to live with since every time you sling the AK across your back you know you're going to be getting either the charging handle or side rail digging into you. Obviously there's advantages to an autoloading action and larger onboard ammo capacity but I feel the real bottleneck in speed is in target acquisition and aiming so for my purposes that should be a wash.

One of the main things I really appreciate about the AK is its durability and reliability combined with ease of maintenance. What kind of dependability can I expect out of a good R92? Is there an easy way to pop the bolt out so the barrel can be cleaned from the breech or is a pull-through the best option?

I'm planning on running an RDS on the R92 so the bolt safety is actually kind of a benefit for me because I can easily replace it with peep sight so I have backup irons. On the other hand I'm not a fan of the Taurus safety lock built into the hammer, are replacement hammers that don't have the lock available?

What kind of accuracy could I expect out of an R92 in .44 magnum? The AK's capable of hitting targets at much greater ranges than some people assume but it's not good at shooting tight groups so an accuracy upgrade would be nice if not necessarily critical.
deaddoc4444

Re: Is An R92 Right For Me?

Post by deaddoc4444 »

I think the R 92 in 44 mag will be quite good for deer hunting in several states . A good choice !
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I also have an R92 in 45 Colt and love it. I did get the Steve Gunz tune kit with DVD and his safety plug and it is also smooth as silk now. I would jump on a 454 if they ever make them case hardened/blued finish rather than stainless steel.
Joe
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

My 92 in 357 is more accurate than my Marlin in 357.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
temmi

Post by temmi »

joec wrote:I also have an R92 in 45 Colt and love it. I did get the Steve Gunz tune kit with DVD and his safety plug and it is also smooth as silk now. I would jump on a 454 if they ever make them case hardened/blued finish rather than stainless steel.

So I did the same. Steve is a great guy and does a great job

That said, My answer is, oh yes

Snake
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I have a pull through bore snake to do fast cleanup you can do a fast action clean by taking the rear buttstock off and then putting it into a bucket and spray her down with nonchlorinated brake cleaner Only in the action for this or bore. you will be shocked at how much crap comes out keep spraying until nothing nasty is coming out and it is clean then let it dry for a few minutes. Then after 10 minutes or so you can spray it down with CLP oil or whatever you like to get it lubed up again work the action and then let it set and drain the excess oil off next day you can put the stock on and be ready assuming you had already bore snaked the bore. In a fast clean though you could always just put the buttstock back on assuming the oil will not be badd to whatever finish you may have on the wood. all in all 15 minutes and done for a very goood cleaning action and all in a pinch.
Last edited by akuser47 on 03 Sep 2012 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
JSutter

Post by JSutter »

The 44/45 M92's are sweet; and the recoil of the 357's is low enough that my wife and our grandkids can shoot them all day. Enough power for plinking, ground squirrels, hunting anything around our cabin, and defense. Accuracy wise, for defense, our 16" 357 Lever gives nose size groups out to 25 yards - standing. The 20" 357 Gives the same out to 50 yards, resting the fore arm against something solid. The 44/45's are still more accurate than I am, with recoil matching the load.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I'm very recoil tolerant.
I don't find the pistol caliber 92s have any recoil worth considering except some of the heavier 454 Casull loads get my attention but even that is not unpleasant.
The heaviest recoiling rifle I have is a customized Remington model 700 bolt action in 416 Remington Magnum with a 21" barrel that weighs in at 8.5 pounds which is really light for an "elephant gun".
If I had to choose a 92 now it would be my Amadeo Rossi 92 45LC/454Casull.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
BigIron44

Post by BigIron44 »

Thanks for the info! I'd really like to try an R92 out but I haven't had any luck finding a dealer in my state that actually has any. That's kind of ironic when you realize Braztech is headquartered in Miami.