Do Rossi's always need work?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do Rossi's always need work?

Post by Ranch Dog »

As of late, I have had a number of questions about my TLC454-290-RF bullet. These are individual customers that have tried other LFN* and WFN* nose profiles in their 45 Colt rifles, either from molds or a finished component bullet, but these designs haven't cycled well through the Rossi 92. It is my observation that the Rossi '92 immediately falls to suspect rather that the bullet design itself. The common question I hear is "do Rossi's always need work?"

Realizing that this forum seems to be made up of a DIY following, we tend to be the type that jumps in to an potential project. I do see a common thread of thought across levergun forums that a R92 will not work without working on it or without installing aftermarket accessories. I only own two current production R92s and this has not been my experience. Both of my rifles have functioned 100% out of the box. I did have an issue with the barrel band tension on my 45 Colt but this is something that only a DIY nut would discover and I have found similar issues with other leverguns.

As I mentioned, I've seen quite a bit of interest in my 45 Colt bullet this week. One potential customer was using another manufacturers bullet design, a design that I know that will not work, but he kept insisting the issue was with the feed function of the Rossi. In response, I made this short, unscripted video of my 2011 Braztech R92 cycling big Round-Flat bullets in reply. This is a rifle that has not had its action modified in anyway. The only work the rifle has had is the barrel band fit and the Safety Plug. This rifle functions exactly like my Rossi/Puma of very late manufacturer.

[youtube][/youtube]

I've found a new source of on the shelf Rossi's that I can stop and gawk at on my weekly commute to Houston. Two weeks ago I examined a R92 chambered in 357 Mag of Braztech manufacture. The shop let me cycle 357 "snap caps" through it and it spit them out with the same authority as my current rifles. It is always good to examine any rifle but I firmly believe that current production rifles, rifles with the Braztech roll stamp, are a different animal from anything that has rolled out in the past which has caused the suspect to fall on the rifle that I'm observing.

* note
LFN = Long Flat Nose
WFN = Wide Flat Nose
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Do Rossi's always need work?

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote: we tend to be the type that jumps in to an potential project.
Guns that are perfect out of the box are a disappointment to me.
Like opening the paper and someone has already done the crossword puzzle.
If I ever find a Rossi levergun that is pristine NIB I'll just have to pull it apart anyway.
That's why I like Rossis cause they don't often bore me with perfect NIB guns and I've recently developed a fondness for Remlins for the same reason.
Never had the slightest interest in a Marlin Guide Gun until Marlin took a swan dive into the junk gun market and earned the dubious moniker "Remlin"...........now I have 2 Guide Guns.
I remember Dad coming in to the living room on a Xmas day more years than I care to remember ago for a chance to play with my new electric train (Never could figure how he knew Santa brought me one? ;) ) only to be horrified to discover that I had the train engine in a dozen pieces on the floor.
Once a tinkerer, always a tinkerer.

Collateral benefit of being a compulsive tinkerer: If my Rehabilitated Rossis or Remlins were any smoother they would cycle whenever I snapped my fingers like a well trained dog.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Once a tinkerer, always a tinkerer.
No doubt that fits me! I get bored without the tinkering.

What I have trouble with is figuring out why a fellow tells me the Rossi is a piece of junk because a 3¢ bullet doesn't fit rather than trying another 3¢ bullet. I have a tough time with that. Oh well, I think I will go spray some weeds today.
Michael
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I've experience with 4 Rossi 92s. Well 3 of them were Navy Arms 1892s made by Rossi. All three Navy Arms were good guns right out of the box. The other 92 was an older one in 44-40 that my cousin bought used for her daughter hoping to get her into shooting. She had me go over it and It fed everything that I tried in it. It's now my cousin's main deer rifle.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Dr. A

Post by Dr. A »

Hello folks,

I'm a regular on some of the other lever forums, but this is my first post here, and in fact just now breaking in my first Rossi. I got the R92 Cowboy version, and without really sampling my gun ordered the Steve's Gunz Rossi 92 video along with a Spring and follower. I was suprised to find it cycled cleanly and quickly with little if any interference from anything. I am considering NOT slicking it up as the trigger and lever seem very smooth in the first place. I tore it apart and cleaned it which cleaned up the action considerably. There was quite a bit of grit and grime from the manufacturing process. Fit and finish are amazingly good. Groups at 50 yards with my stock iron sights was about twice that of my Marlin, but the Marlin does have a peep sight. I just installed the Marble tang sight on this one, so I look to see it improve. I have already tried out all my Marlin loads which do go as fast as 300gr. lead bullet going just shy of 1700fps. I also shoot Ranch Dog's bullet, and the RCBS 270 SAA which seems to be accurate even without a gas check much to my suprise. Most of my plinking is done with iron sighted leverguns standing and firing at steel targets. My 45 Colt plinking load is 9gr. of Unique with a RN bullet and this gives me enough kick I feel I'm shooting something, and the ability to still hit the steel targets out to 220 yards or so. I may just have to hunt with it this Fall, as I've discovered how fun these guns are to shoot the more powerful loads. The only thing I've not enjoyed about this Rossi is that butt plate. Its angle is such that it carved out quite a few notches on my shoulder. I just put a leather butt cuff on it and will see how it goes for now. Its fine with my plinking loads.

Been enjoying the sight.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome Doc, good to see you here! Shooting these 92's in at bench with heavy loads will make you hate that butt stock!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The Navy Arms and Interarms 92s are a cut or 2 above the run of the mill Amadeo or Braztech Rossi.
They had real walnut stocks and superior w/m fit.
At least the ones I handled did.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
twobitokie
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by twobitokie »

My little gun is a 44 mag, and it cycles the Lee 310 gr cast like water out the hose. I still did the spring kit and a new stock, but operationally it was fine out of the box.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:Once a tinkerer, always a tinkerer.
What I have trouble with is figuring out why a fellow tells me the Rossi is a piece of junk because a 3¢ bullet doesn't fit rather than trying another 3¢ bullet. I have a tough time with that.
The 2nd thing you learn about 92s after the fact that they have finger levers is that they are ammo sensitive.
Right off the bat because of the tube mag configuration you are limited to flat-nosed or gummy bear bullets.
And even within that narrowed selection scope not all of them will cycle properly in your particular 92.
It doesn't matter if the 92s a Winny original, an old junk El Tigre from back in the 60's you got for $40, a Rossi, a Miroku Japchester or one of Doug Turnbulls $5000 custom jobs the fact remains that not all 92s will function well with all bullets..
The rule of thumb for bullet selection for 92 leverguns is: If one bullet doesn't work try annuder wun.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

When new, my Navy Arms just wouldn't feed a SWC (My Marlin 1894C won't either). So, I cast RNFP for my 357 cast bullet doings. That works well in both of them. Now if Ranch Dog would do a 158gr .359 bullet with the tumble lube grooves, I'd be all over it.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR