Hammer Cocking "Snap"

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hammer Cocking "Snap"

Post by Ranch Dog »

One thing that I have notice about the 92 in a hunting situation is the loud "snap" that is produced when the hammer cocks. I've had enough time in the woods with the rifles that I subconsciously cup my support hand over the hammer while the firing hand cocks the hammer in an attempt to muffle the noise. This morning, just a few minutes ago, I was moving ahead but parallel to a large sounder of mature sows and a mix bag of young hogs, by following the noise a pack like this generates, through a Post Oak bottom as they prepared to bed for the day. I was hoping that I would see them when they crossed any of the clearings in the bottom or one of the two senderos that cross the bottom. It is cool for South Texas, mid 80°s and we are under high pressure with no moisture so the air is very "crisp". At one point I could tell the sounder was bedding and it was possible that some where going to spill out on the edge of a sendero so I cocked the rifle. What a snap, it sounded like a 22RF discharging through that bottom. The hogs went absolutely quite. Probably enough were already down that the remainder just hunkered on down, I've seen them just drop and be perfectly still while they listen. I remained perfectly still and listened myself for about 35 minutes. I heard a final settling that told me they were all down and not leaving so I waited another 10 minutes and then slowly left so I could come back to them later in the day.

All three of my 92s "snap" like this. I have Marlin 336s, 1894s, and had 1895s plus I have a Winchester 94 but nothing "snaps" as loud as the 92. I consider the 92 to be 3 to 4 times as loud as my other rifles. Has anyone else noticed this? I guess I need ponder the source and what to do about it before deer season gets here. Noise really travels here in this semi-arid environment and a mature whitetail, just like these hogs, will not tolerate this for a second. I'm thinking about reinstalling the pigtail safety so that I feel better about cocking the hammer earlier, at least until I figure out how to correct the noise. Has anyone else addressed this issue?
Michael
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Hammer Cocking "Snap"

Post by Trailboss »

Because Winchester lever actions all use a long flat spring for their triggers, it's necessary to place your firing finger on the trigger and your thumb on the hammer when cocking if you wish to be quiet. While the trigger finger gently touches the trigger, slowly pull back the hammer and at the same time apply trigger pressure. Hold the trigger back until the hammer is cocked and release the trigger. Completely silent. However, there is a danger of the rifle firing if your thumb slips off the hammer. For this reason, only practice this method when the rifle is pointed in a safe direction. I've been carrying Winchesters in the woods for 50 years. Never had a wrongful discharge, count my blessings. It can be done in a safe manner. Start practicing slowly and deliberately and over time it will feel quite natural. I don't even think about doing it, I just do.
Aim small, miss small.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Trailboss wrote:Because Winchester lever actions all use a long flat spring for their triggers, it's necessary to place your firing finger on the trigger and your thumb on the hammer when cocking if you wish to be quiet. While the trigger finger gently touches the trigger, slowly pull back the hammer and at the same time apply trigger pressure. Hold the trigger back until the hammer is cocked and release the trigger. Completely silent. However, there is a danger of the rifle firing if your thumb slips off the hammer. For this reason, only practice this method when the rifle is pointed in a safe direction. I've been carrying Winchesters in the woods for 50 years. Never had a wrongful discharge, count my blessings. It can be done in a safe manner. Start practicing slowly and deliberately and over time it will feel quite natural. I don't even think about doing it, I just do.
Thank you. Works like a charm! See, even an old dog can learn a new trick!
Michael
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Trailboss »

:) Glad it works for you Michael, I'd like to take credit for the method, but my Grandpa showed it to me more than 50 years past. I'm still leaning new things everyday. Heck, after reading your posts, I'm now getting back into bullet casting. That's the nice thing about community.
Aim small, miss small.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Love that another thing learned for me as well I had thought maybe mine was the issue that it was this loud glad to know this. Thanks for the info.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Gee_Wizz01

Post by Gee_Wizz01 »

My Grandpa also showed me that same trick back in 1958 when he took me hunting. I was 6 years old and we were using his 1894 octagon barrel 25-35 that he got when he was 19. We were sitting in a tree stand in an old mesquite tree and I can remember it just like yesterday. Every boy needs a Grandpa to teach him hunting and shooting

Gary
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Trailboss wrote:However, there is a danger of the rifle firing if your thumb slips off the hammer.
I've used this method for just about any gun with an exposed hammer when getting ready to draw down on game.

You may not think your gun hammer is noisy just cause you don't hear a loud sound but to a moose or deer with radar antenna ears it might mean getting "busted" and wondering why.

Well, that's why. :mrgreen:

Hate to say it but here's another circumstance where the stupid Braztech safety switch or an 1895 cross-bolt safety could make things safer by preventing an accidental firing if your thumb slips.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I don't mind the crossbolt safety on my Marlin 1894 in 44-40 so much. It does prevent unpleasant things from happening when unloading.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

44-40 Willy wrote:I don't mind the crossbolt safety on my Marlin 1894 in 44-40 so much. It does prevent unpleasant things from happening when unloading.
I test cycle all my reloaded and factory hunting ammo especially in 92s and I have to admit the safeties could prevent me from having to fix a hole or 2 in the ceiling.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:I test cycle all my reloaded and factory hunting ammo especially in 92s and I have to admit the safeties could prevent me from having to fix a hole or 2 in the ceiling.
Let me admit that I have negligently discharged my 1894FG, it has a cross bolt safety that I failed to engage! The situation developed after killing a large feral hog last year. I was out in a food plot in the middle of the night and shot this bugger. I approached him with the hammer cocked and when I was certain he was dead, relieve the hammer and the weapon discharged out across the brush. Scared the crap out of me and I was on edge to begin with having just had a sounder of large hogs surrounding me. I live and hunt in semi arid country. It is semi-arid not because of rain but because of a constant Southeasterly flow off the Gulf of Mexico. At night, that creates a very humid environment and I'm usually slick with sweat while doing work like this. My thumb slipped off the hammer but that is inexcusable in that the Marlin cross bolt safety was not engaged.

I honestly have been thinking out the reinstalling the safeties on my 92 since I removed them. I dislike the pigtail but it is all there is.
Michael