M 92 357 trapper won't feed.

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

M 92 357 trapper won't feed.

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Alright, had this trapper for over a year and want to get it running right. It doesn't want to feed 357 mags with out bouncing the rifle up and down and jiggling the lever. Looks like it hangs up on the chamber bottom where there should be a bit of a feed ramp on the chamber like my other 5 M-92's. What little bit of a bevel there is, lays off to the right of the chamber and is almost not there. How do I get in there to put a slight bevel on the bottom of the chamber??? DP
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: M 92 357 trapper won't feed.

Post by Ranch Dog »

Might initial thought, and hopefully someone has a better idea, is that the barrel will need to be removed as there is just no room that I see to come up through the receiver even with all the guts pulled out.
Michael
Buck Bodine

Post by Buck Bodine »

I had the same issue using .357, and the carrier was the culprit. Open your action very slowly and check to see if your carrier "pops" up into the feed position or if it glides upward smoothly. If it pops all the way up and pops back down (push it back down with your finger)with no middle ground (it's either up or down), then the detent spring in the carrier is one coil too long and the carrier may need to be cleaned up with a file as well. When you smooth that action out, the rounds will feed perfectly.

Best of luck.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Buck Bodine wrote:I had the same issue using .357, and the carrier was the culprit. Open your action very slowly and check to see if your carrier "pops" up into the feed position or if it glides upward smoothly. If it pops all the way up and pops back down (push it back down with your finger)with no middle ground (it's either up or down), then the detent spring in the carrier is one coil too long and the carrier may need to be cleaned up with a file as well. When you smooth that action out, the rounds will feed perfectly.

Best of luck.
Good to know, thanks!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I was just gonna suggest taking the rear buttstock off cut open a gallon jug open the action and spray down with non chlorinated brake parts cleaner to remove and debri and grease that may be causeing you trouble then let it sit and drip sitting it in the container standing up. then you use a spray oil like clp or somthing you like soak her inerds again with oil this time work the action some and let it sit and drip into the container over night then wipe it up with a clean clthe and try her to see if she works. You will be surprized at the black crap that comes uot from doing this.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Thanks for the ideas guys! Now to get up the nerve to tear into it on the carrier. :shock: :? Will try the soaking first, couldn't hurt to have a Sat. nite bath early on. :lol: I even considered a round dremel ball from the top, :twisted: :geek: then I came to my senses. :) Been a long time member of the OH,S___!!! :shock: dremel club, so don't go there anymore with hard to replace items. :| :oops: DP
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

I had to polish the front, entire top trough surface of my carrier and pay particular attention to the little flat ramp on the left side. I also neede to remove the detent ball and clean/deburr everything related, including the dentent, and shortened the spring a tad. The cartridge rim dragging across the rough carrier trough surface was what made my cartridges nose dive into the little feed ramp at the bottom of the chamber and the other things cause other problems.