my first rossi 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Gman56

my first rossi 92

Post by Gman56 »

Hi to you all.I read the posts on new versus old rossi rifles. In nj you dont see the rossi rifle in the racks. You will see the new marlington rifles and the high priced miruko rifles! I have my eyes on a marlington 94 in 44 mag. It is beautiful!Everything is straight and the stock is BEAUTIFUL!It has a lot of figure and colors .It is still on the rack.Any way I ordered a 16 inch carbine in 357 !I read a few posts about the rifles that Steve Gunz produce. I'mn having steve build it with all yhe options except the wood.Steve said it will be two months to build since he has what I want in stock.Finall cost $827 I will not have to worry about failure to feed or eject. The sights will be correct.It cost $200 more than the marlington and $200 less than the winnie. I can't wait to get it if she is sweet I want a color case hardened20in. Then a 16 src the list goes on and on I dont think it stops LOL!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: my first rossi 92

Post by akuser47 »

I think you will be pleased he does great work.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Marlington or Remlin like Rossi rifles are "kits".
Feel fortunate if you get one that is perfect out of the box.
I have 2 Remlin 1895 Guide Guns, 1 in SS and 1 blue.
They both have been stoned and polished and have had custom triggers, mag followers, ejectors and cowboy spring kits installed.
The blue one has the X/S sighting system and the SS sports a Leupold Rifleman 2-7x33mm scope and came with decent factory sights.
Like my Rossi 92s and my Rossi RG these 2 guns are smooth as glass and superb shooters but it took a few $$$ and some elbow grease to get them to that level of excellence.
I started with the blue Guide Gun and was so impressed by it's handling characteristics and accuracy I bought another SS model.
You guys with JM Marlins hang on to em or if you do let them go realize that they are salable for more $$$ now than when you bought them new.
They will eventually be top dollar items like original Winchester 92s.
Remlin charges as much if not more $$$ as they did for the legacy JM Marlins which were good performers out of the box 99% of the time.
The dollar value in elbow grease the new Remlin owners have to spend getting their guns up to the old JM Marlin out of box standard goes right into Cerberus/Remington's pockets.
To get superb Remlins or Rossis you either have to go custom or DIY.
You'll be surprised what you can do yourself if you take your time and don't make stupid mistakes.
If you're handy on a lathe then you don't really need anybody else involved except for technical reference.
The internet is a good reference source.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Gman56

Post by Gman56 »

My next rossi I will work on myself.I have built lots of garands100s of them!I will get Steves dvd and do the work myself. I'm glad he had the 92 in 357 with 16in barrel!I hear his rifles are slick and worth the money. I will find out in two months!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

That is why I had to do get one used cause Steve was back oredered by like 16 rifles and waiting for his distributer to get them in. So I bought his dvd and mag follower and went to work on my used Rossi and am very pleased. Major improvement on the action.
Last edited by akuser47 on 09 Jul 2012 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Gman56 wrote:My next rossi I will work on myself.I have built lots of garands100s of them!I will get Steves dvd and do the work myself. I'm glad he had the 92 in 357 with 16in barrel!I hear his rifles are slick and worth the money. I will find out in two months!
That is the way I did it myself. Got a 92 in 45 Colt with a feeding problem. Sent it to Rossi got it back in 5 business days fixed so put about a 1000 rounds through it then started by following Steve's DVD and doing it myself. Oh and mine is a 20" octagon barrel in case hardened blued finish and love it. My next project will be to redo the wood on the gun but being a octagon barrel won't have the problem with the barrel strap as they have a different setup. Oh and I also added Steve's safety plug to mine which isn't part of the kit.
Joe
Buck Bodine

Post by Buck Bodine »

I'll have to concur that Steve's DVD is a worthwhile investment. I bought the Rossi because I did not want to part with Marlin money, although the 1894 is what I wanted to begin with. But as pricedo mentioned, the fit and finish on the new Marlins was noticeably lacking, at least in the floor model at my LGS--nothing like the ones I handled with envy when I was young. I got a great deal on the Rossi because "it will drive tacks but it just won't cycle"--music to anyone's ears who has slicked up a few of these.

BB
temmi

Post by temmi »

I had Steve Yound work up my 92.

It was well worth the money and time.

Here it is

Snake
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

sexy
Gman56

Post by Gman56 »

temmi wrote:I had Steve Yound work up my 92.

It was well worth the money and time.

Here it is

Snake
Snake all I can say is WOW!!!Beautiful!