480 Ruger Sight System Issues

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

480 Ruger Sight System Issues

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, despite 100° heat, I shot the 480 Ruger this morning with the Lee 475-400-RF bullet and Lil' Gun. It shot very well but at 25-yards with the Steve's Gunz Safety Plug Peep Sight at its full extension it was shooting 8" low. I also purchased a Small White Ivory Bead from SG and when I first saw it I though "Wow, that's tall". Well it is. Some of the problem is that the 480 Ruger barrel does not taper to the muzzle like my other 92s do, it is a constant diameter shortly after leaving the receiver so a sight that would work on my other 92 barrels would be too tall on the 480 Ruger barrel.

A couple of things stuck with me from this morning's shooting session. First, damn, this rifle shoots good! Second, it is going to get expensive chasing sights. Despite the POI being at the adjustable limit and low, the five shot groups where cloverleaves. This tells me that this rifle does have some distance potential. These sights were not cheap. The initial combination was $85, $60 for the peep and $25 for the front sight. Testing front sights for both dovetail fit on the Rossi and height plus shipping is going to get expensive fast. Finally, I'm not real impressed with the peep sights performance in low light. Over the last three weeks I've been sighting on deer in the last thirty minutes of daylight at what I consider my typical hunting yardages, 70 to 125-yards, and I would honestly not take the shot against the grey background of the South Texas brush. I've been doing a lot of pondering on this fact alone as I hate making a bad shot on a critter and there is no way to use the rifle at night which is my primary time for killing hogs. I'e killed three hogs at night on my "shooting gallery" in the last week alone.

All this said, I think I'm going to scout scope this rifle as well. Wild West Guns has a scope base that will work, should have used this on both my other rifles instead of the Rossi mount but that is water under the bridge, and my gunsmith said that he would install it. This image is from the Scout Rifle forum, the mount is $30 from WWG.

I found review of a fellow using the XS Scout Mount for the Win 94 on his Puma 92 chambered in 454 Casull and he commented on it taking minor gunsmithing but he did not specifically say what it required. I'm familiar with that system and think it a bit bulky over just a base, I'm not sure what it weighs.

Just kind of thinking out loud right now but I want to get this rifle going pretty quick. Did I tell you good this rifle shot!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: 480 Ruger Sight System Issues

Post by pricedo »

Keep the tube of Crazy Glue handy just in case of another Relatively Routine Rossi Relapse. :P
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

You can say what you want about Rossis, but every one that I've shot was accurate.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Keep the tube of Crazy Glue handy just in case of another Relatively Routine Rossi Relapse. :P
:shock:
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I heard back from the XS outfit. Said their products will not fit on the Rossi but all they are thinking is the normal tapered barrel and it not being a non-gunsmith fit. WWG sold me the base with the disclaimer that it was for the Marlin or Winchester. My gunsmith said it looked like it would fit or he would make me one. Ordered the safety plug from Steve's so this project is just waiting parts now.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

My 20" .454/M92 is giving me 50 yard 3-shot keyholes with the stock iron sights and the Federal Fusion 260 grain factory ammo.
About 1700 fps.
45 LC +P+ thereabouts.
That's good enough for me. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA