92 questions

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
rfroy

92 questions

Post by rfroy »

Looking at finally getting my first Rossi. I'm looking at a Stainless 92 in 45 colt. Have any of you slugged the barrel and if so what was the bore? What should I look for when inspecting the rifle prior to accepting the rifle?

Jerry

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 92 questions

Post by Ranch Dog »

The bore of my 92 45 Colt slugs .450" right at the SAAMI spec and from what I have heard from others, they run a tight ship on this diameter.

It would be nice to run a dummy round through the chamber if the store would let you. If you are not a reloader, you would need something like the "Snap Cap" cartridges. Other than this, all you can do is look for cosmetic issues.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

rfroy wrote:Looking at finally getting my first Rossi. I'm looking at a Stainless 92 in 45 colt. Have any of you slugged the barrel and if so what was the bore? What should I look for when inspecting the rifle prior to accepting the rifle?

Jerry

Take a flash light and 2 or 3 conspicuously drilled out dummy ammo rounds (I drill the primer pocket right out) for your pet load in that caliber.
Make sure the rounds are true and not deformed and work in your "at home" guns in the same caliber.
Ask the clerks permission to work the dummy ammo through the gun.
Check the bluing, the wood, the sights, the bore, work the action, cycle the ammo through the action, check inside the bore and action for rust.
If the gun shop has a range ask if you can test fire the gun with a box of factory ammo before the final purchase.
That's what worked for me.
The sales people are a lot more interested in your problems before the green backs/plastic hit the counter.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
BobSki

Post by BobSki »

This information is well timed for me. Thank you. I have just ordered my .357/.38 Puma 92 in Stainless Steel with 24" Octagon barrel. We pretty much have to order what we want and hope for the best as gun dealers don't carry lots of the same rifle in stock to allow us the luxury of testing several before purchase. As soon as my firearmce licence is retuned to me with the permission to purchase I will be off to my chosen dealer (E.D. Simpsons, Shepshed, Leicestershire) to collect my new toy. I certainly hope that it is from the good batch and not the bad. :|
rfroy

Post by rfroy »

Well bad news for me...the guy I was planning on buying the 92 from decided to no longer accept visa payments; cash only. So I'm back to looking again.

So I wen out today and looked at a blued 92 that had a fantastic action and finish. Store policy is no dummy rounds of any kind in the gun so I was not able to check out the cycling. They do offer 72 hr return if not satisfied with the gun. The one thing that struck me as odd was the short feeling stock. I will wait for a stainless version.

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

rfroy wrote:Well bad news for me...the guy I was planning on buying the 92 from decided to no longer accept visa payments; cash only. So I'm back to looking again.

So I wen out today and looked at a blued 92 that had a fantastic action and finish. Store policy is no dummy rounds of any kind in the gun so I was not able to check out the cycling. They do offer 72 hr return if not satisfied with the gun. The one thing that struck me as odd was the short feeling stock. I will wait for a stainless version.

I can understand about the cycling. With 72 hr. NQA return no problem.
You can still work the action and check for rust, broken/malformed parts, scope the barrel with a good flashlight.
Under those circumstances I'd keep the receipt showing date of purchase and test fire the gun the same day and if anything was wrong that I couldn't fix myself cheaply the gun would be going back.
If the action has no defects but is a bit rough I pull the gun apart and give it a good cleaning then polish and stone the parts and install Steve Youngs (Steve's Gunz) tune up kit.
I got a Rossi 92 and a Rossi Rio Grande that were absolutely filthy and I washed a pound of compacted cosmoline and grease off the parts with dechlorinated brake parts cleaner. That's par for the course.
Once you've stripped a couple of Rossi 92s and tuned them up you can almost do it with your eyes closed.
My Rossis are slicker (and much stronger) and more accurate than a real legacy Winchester 92.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA