Bring back the 480 Ruger!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Bad-dog

Bring back the 480 Ruger!

Post by Bad-dog »

Bring back the Rossi 480 ! I'm sure I'm not alone in making this statement, this to me is one of those great calibres that is a natural for a lever gun and hand gun alike. It uses little powder to achieve great things. Its just another one of those things on my bucket list (not that I've even seen one here in NZ). To me its a better choice than the 454. Something about thoses big lumbering slugs. Just my thoughts

Ian
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bring back the 480 Ruger!

Post by Ranch Dog »

That would be nice. I would like to see it under the Braztech name rather than a special run through LSI (Puma). If it was a Braztech gun, parts would be available in Florida.

I just purchased mine and other than messing with cleaning, installing sights, and casting bullets, I haven't done a thing like pulling the trigger on it yet. I've been tied up with a 45 Colt that was running a muck.

As strictly a cast bullet shooter, the 480 does have advantages over the 454 based solely on the cartridge's operating pressure. The cast bullet requires that the 454 Casull be loaded down in order to survive the chamber pressures. The 480 Ruger seems a perfect balance for the cast bullet, the max pressure is right at what a water quenched, Lyman #2 alloy bullet can survive.
Michael
olde sarge

Post by olde sarge »

Ya Bad Dog, I would have to have one in stainless with a forend cap and min 20" barrel, also would probably have to have a .454 in same configuration if I could find at reasonable price. Either would make a hell of a hog rifle but .480 is top of list for several reasons. Mean while plugging along with .30-30.
temmi

Post by temmi »

If they do I will buy one in a NY sec!

Snake
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I like the .454 Casull cause I can shoot .45LC and .45LC +P or .45LC +P+ as the situation calls for.
I've found a Federal factory "Fusion" 260 grain .454 C load that gives me 50 yard clover leaf groups and doesn't dislocate my shoulder.
A 92 in .480 Ruger would be a functional redundancy at this time but if I found a good one on a rack cheap I'd buy it.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
temmi

Post by temmi »

pricedo,
Since I have a SRH in 480R i guess I am in the same spot you are in.

I would get one if the price was fair

Snake