Where have all the Rossis gone

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Where have all the Rossis gone

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:
pricedo wrote:
Hire a good detective agency & in a month they might come up with a 16" Rossi 92 in .454 Casull......they're even scarcer than the 20" models..........especially the M92s that don't have the safety.
While they're at it see if the agency can find a 16" M92 in .480 Ruger for me. :D

******A word to the wise: If you find a 16" bbl Rossi 92 in .454 Casull and plan to shoot max hand loads, Buffalo Bore, Core-Bon or the suped up Hornady factory ammo get the wife to make you a sissy pad with an old tea towel stuffed with corn meal to put inside your jacket cause you'll be firing a 4.8 pound rifle with almost the power of a .45-70...........don't find out the hard, painful way.........the M92/454 isn't a gun for recoil-shy people. :lol:
That's too bad about the. 454 Casull in the trapper being so hard to come by. Seems like a natural for the role of mini guide gun.. As for being recoil shy that combo would probably be more than I would want to deal with and there is no way I would recreational shoot that gun with anything other than 45 Colt ammo and then probably be less than full snort loads. The only time I would want hot 454 loads would be for a bear defense situation at which time recoil is pretty far down the list of worries!

Sent from my Alaska Communications Android using Tapatalk
I tried a 16" M92 in .454 Casull but chose a 20" M92 in the same caliber because I preferred the longer sight base for my 3 score years old eyes.
When I fire full powered ammo in the gun I brace myself well because even with the generous recoil pad I know I am about to get thumped hard.
I'm sure that if you watch the gun shop racks faithfully some 16" Rossi 92s in .454 Casull will appear eventually.
I don't blind-order Rossis from dealers.......I pick em off the rack myself where I can see & handle what I'm getting.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
But when all is said and done it would still be handy to have a 454 Rossi to haul about when the 454 BFR sits in a holster on a buckled up belt around my waist.
That is the very reason a 336 is being turned into a 414 Supermag... Happily Jess Reboring is chopping out certain 336´s to .411 groove.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:
I tried a 16" M92 in .454 Casull but chose a 20" M92 in the same caliber because I preferred the longer sight base for my 3 score years old eyes.
When I fire full powered ammo in the gun I brace myself well because even with the generous recoil pad I know I am about to get thumped hard.
I'm sure that if you watch the gun shop racks faithfully some 16" Rossi 92s in .454 Casull will appear eventually.
I don't blind-order Rossis from dealers.......I pick em off the rack myself where I can see & handle what I'm getting.
Unfortunately there is only one real gun store here in Juneau and it is so isolated here it isn't easy to go on a 800 mile road trip to the next town that has a gun store. Not complaining, wouldn't have it any other way but I do get envious of you guys who have so many shops and shows to find just what you are looking for! :) Part of it is my fault however as one of the locals who sell guns out of their house after hours had a M92 trapper in 45 colt and at the time I didn't move on it because I already have a 1894 in 45 colt. Now I am wishing I had gone over there to look at it!

No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:
pricedo wrote:
Unfortunately there is only one real gun store here in Juneau and it is so isolated here it isn't easy to go on a 800 mile road trip to the next town that has a gun store. Not complaining, wouldn't have it any other way but I do get envious of you guys who have so many shops and shows to find just what you are looking for! :) Part of it is my fault however as one of the locals who sell guns out of their house after hours had a M92 trapper in 45 colt and at the time I didn't move on it because I already have a 1894 in 45 colt. Now I am wishing I had gone over there to look at it!

I've been to Alaska.
I used to live in Hyder which is adjacent to the BC/Canada border back in the 70's.
Judging by the size of the Yogis frequenting that area I'd want something with a little more ballistic muscle than a .45 LC levergun as a shoulder, ATV, truck, plane, back pack/pack sack gun.
I'm thinking a 16" or 20" Rossi Puma 92/454 pushing a bullet of at least 300 grains to max or near max velocities like some of the more "vigorous" load recipes from the Quinn "Gunblast" website.
Pretty hard to argue with the 4.8 pound weight of the 16" Rossi Puma 92..............beats dragging some wheel-less 10 pound Howitzer through that rugged country.
If you're being charged by 800 pounds of teeth, claws & muscle recoil is way down on the priority list.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:
I've been to Alaska.
I used to live in Hyder which is adjacent to the BC/Canada border back in the 70's.
Judging by the size of the Yogis frequenting that area I'd want something with a little more ballistic muscle than a .45 LC levergun as a shoulder, ATV, truck, plane, back pack/pack sack gun.
I'm thinking a 16" or 20" Rossi Puma 92/454 pushing a bullet of at least 300 grains to max or near max velocities like some of the more "vigorous" load recipes from the Quinn "Gunblast" website.
Pretty hard to argue with the 4.8 pound weight of the 16" Rossi Puma 92..............beats dragging some wheel-less 10 pound Howitzer through that rugged country.
If you're being charged by 800 pounds of teeth, claws & muscle recoil is way down on the priority list.
I have always wanted to go explore the Stewart/Hyder area. Seems similar to where we are building our new house in Haines, on the other end of the panhandle. Well I don't use my 1894 for bear defense, that task goes to my 45/70 GG and this year it will be with 525gr pile drivers :mrgreen: There are times however when a .454 Casull (trapper) would be a bit handier to pack and wield than the guide gun, even tho that is what the GG was conceived for. Hmm, how about a .454 Ranch Hand? :P
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos:

I'll be interested in your range report on that Ranch Hand in .454 Casull.
You might find the keyboard cumbersome with your arm & shoulder in a plaster of Paris cast. ;)
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:Arktikos:

I'll be interested in your range report on that Ranch Hand in .454 Casull.
You might find the keyboard cumbersome with your arm & shoulder in a plaster of Paris cast. ;)
Hey, I figure if they can make a 45/70 Derringer, and get some fool to actually fire it, how bad could it be? :roll: :mrgreen:
http://www.genitron.com/handgundb/DB-Ha ... asp?ID=222
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

Supply is spasmodic here in Australia as well. Rossi's are developing quite a following - when we can get em. Last US Election / rumor of tighter American Firearms laws the manufacturers pulled Stock destined for us and redirected to the American market to supply the panic buying. You watch with the current buying spree Stateside we soon won't be able to buy a bloody Primer for 6 months. A fair wack of Hodgdon Powder is actually made here in Australia, we pay the $50 a Pound and I'll bet soon our supply is shipped off and sold in the US at less than 1/3rd the price we pay

Guess this is the price you pay with such a small market share on a world scale

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

-Charles Darwin
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

The problem I was told was (this was from Steve at STEVEsguns) Is they gear up to make the ranch hand for a long while now that the market is flooded with the ranch hands they started toolin up for the rifles again and when we talked on the phone he said that they are comin back in cause alot of his backorders were finally starting to come in. This was in Jan. maybe somethin happened and atf is not releasin them maybe they are being bought in a panic. Iknow one thing though there is not many .357 20" carbines around stainless or blued but .45LC they seem to get left behind on the rack.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
bigdean

Post by bigdean »

The pickings are definitely slim! I found a 357 20" blued on Gunbroker. It was about the only place I could find one in stock.