Where have all the Rossis gone

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Bob in MO

Where have all the Rossis gone

Post by Bob in MO »

Anyone got any scuttle butt on when the channel on the Rossi 92s is going to open up?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Where have all the Rossis gone

Post by Ranch Dog »

It sure has dried up, new and used. The election "thing" seems to have started and everything from powder to riflescopes is moving off the shelf. It is our every four year stimulus plan!
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
One thing for sure there are non down here in Peru.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Missionary wrote:Greetings
One thing for sure there are non down here in Peru.
Mike in Peru
Local dealers in my area have a 16" Braztech R92 in .45 LC, a 20" Rossi M92 (no safety) in .454 Casull.

They're not superabundant but there are a few around.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I wonder if the problems with new Marlins since the takeover by Remington has increased Rossi's sales to the point they are having production issues as in not being able to keep up with demand. Sure seems like bad timing to slow down production right when so many people are learning about the new Remlin QC problems.
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:I wonder if the problems with new Marlins since the takeover by Remington has increased Rossi's sales to the point they are having production issues as in not being able to keep up with demand. Sure seems like bad timing to slow down production right when so many people are learning about the new Remlin QC problems.

I don't know about slowing down production?
I think all the action is on the demand side of the supply/demand equation.
The 92s are being bought before they have a chance to cast a shadow on the shop floors.
I checked yesterday and the Rossi M92 in .454 Casull without the safety is gone already.
Haven't looked today yet but I'll bet the R92 is gone as well.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:
Arktikos wrote:I wonder if the problems with new Marlins since the takeover by Remington has increased Rossi's sales to the point they are having production issues as in not being able to keep up with demand. Sure seems like bad timing to slow down production right when so many people are learning about the new Remlin QC problems.

The 92s are being bought before they have a chance to cast a shadow on the shop floors.
I checked yesterday and the Rossi M92 in .454 Casull without the safety is gone already.
Good I hope they are able to step up to the plate. I am disgusted with new Marlins, but I do love the old ones so! Problem is where I live, all the used market seems to have is 45/70 GG's of which I already own one. What I want is a good .357 lever for plinking and now I am getting keen on the idea of a .454 Casull in a 16" barrel. I think that light weight package would be wonderful for backpacking in brown bear country IMO...
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:
pricedo wrote:

Good I hope they are able to step up to the plate. I am disgusted with new Marlins, but I do love the old ones so! Problem is where I live, all the used market seems to have is 45/70 GG's of which I already own one. What I want is a good .357 lever for plinking and now I am getting keen on the idea of a .454 Casull in a 16" barrel. I think that light weight package would be wonderful for backpacking in brown bear country IMO...
I've got a 20" round bbl .454 Casull M92 (the old LSI Pumas) & a 16" M92 in .357 Mag as as well as a 16" M92 in .44 Mag.
The M92s are the first generation LSI Pumas & the early ones (mfg. before 2009) don't have the bolt safeties, the newer Braztec R92s do have the bolt safeties.
What I want is a good .357 lever for plinking and now I am getting keen on the idea of a .454 Casull in a 16" barrel.
Hire a good detective agency & in a month they might come up with a 16" Rossi 92 in .454 Casull......they're even scarcer than the 20" models..........especially the M92s that don't have the safety.
While they're at it see if the agency can find a 16" M92 in .480 Ruger for me. :D

******A word to the wise: If you find a 16" bbl Rossi 92 in .454 Casull and plan to shoot max hand loads, Buffalo Bore, Core-Bon or the suped up Hornady factory ammo get the wife to make you a sissy pad with an old tea towel stuffed with corn meal to put inside your jacket cause you'll be firing a 4.8 pound rifle with almost the power of a .45-70...........don't find out the hard, painful way.........the M92/454 isn't a gun for recoil-shy people. :lol:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:
Hire a good detective agency & in a month they might come up with a 16" Rossi 92 in .454 Casull......they're even scarcer than the 20" models..........especially the M92s that don't have the safety.
While they're at it see if the agency can find a 16" M92 in .480 Ruger for me. :D

******A word to the wise: If you find a 16" bbl Rossi 92 in .454 Casull and plan to shoot max hand loads, Buffalo Bore, Core-Bon or the suped up Hornady factory ammo get the wife to make you a sissy pad with an old tea towel stuffed with corn meal to put inside your jacket cause you'll be firing a 4.8 pound rifle with almost the power of a .45-70...........don't find out the hard, painful way.........the M92/454 isn't a gun for recoil-shy people. :lol:
That's too bad about the. 454 Casull in the trapper being so hard to come by. Seems like a natural for the role of mini guide gun.. As for being recoil shy that combo would probably be more than I would want to deal with and there is no way I would recreational shoot that gun with anything other than 45 Colt ammo and then probably be less than full snort loads. The only time I would want hot 454 loads would be for a bear defense situation at which time recoil is pretty far down the list of worries!

Sent from my Alaska Communications Android using Tapatalk
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

I have had mine (16" .357) for almost a year now and I had a time finding one. I watched the Internet for months and then I came upon one at what I thought was a reasonable price at a place where they had a bunch of them to choose from (Robertson's Trading Post) and ordered it quickly.

Those seemed to dry up quickly too. Finding them online is not too terribly troublesome but I don't know if I would buy another without seeing it in person. It looked very nice but ran like rocks in a corn sheller. Finding one in a shop is pretty much not going to happen around here, and if you did, you would pay 50% more. When I picked mine up, the dealer pointed out that he HAD a lever in .357 on the SHELF. A well-used (to be kind) Marlin with boogered screws for $600. If the goob' that boogered the screws was equally adept once he got the screws out and got inside of that Marlin, I wouldn't have taken it for $250.

My hypothesis at that time was that demand was staying ahead of supply partially due to the Marlin mishap and partially die to Rossi/Taurus being distracted with certain other new (unusual) firearms projects and that they were dropping the ball on quality while trying to increase quantity. Or, I just happened to get a Monday morning rifle. Who knows? I hear how great some are and how awful others are. May just be the lever lottery.

The Brazilians are pretty competent when it comes to manufacturing so it does seem odd that there is more demand than they can keep up with. It is also possible that we who use levers are not as formidable a market beast as we think though.