break-in process completed

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
phonejack

break-in process completed

Post by phonejack »

It appears that I have finished lapping-in my barrel on my M92 24" .357. I haven't been in any hurry to do this and I have combined load development into the process. 2 loads have proven to be keepers. With 125's, 18.0 H110 and 158's with 14.0 H110. Both shoot into 1" @ 50 yards. Hotter loads have not shown to be an improvement with either bullet. Best part of this is the fact that at 25 and 50 yards both loads shoot to the same POI. Next range trip I will see how it shoots @100 yards. This is my first Taurus-Rossi and it appears I have a good one.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: break-in process completed

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
Nice looking range setup. Barrel lapping is the first thing I do after cleaning then running a Tight bore patch to determine if there are tight or rough areas. Even older rifles I have purchased seem to benefit but most require just a few runs through with metal polish. That rifle will serve you for many years to come. Still have my older Interarms 45 Colt.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

I have a Win 92 converted to .357, and usually end up back with that same 14 grains of H110 too. Some bullets might make slightly better groups with IMR4227, but not enough to switch around.

It looks like we have the same spotting scope, or at least similar. I have a Kowa TSN1 that I got when I started Highpower in 1989, and it's been hauled all over the place and still works great. Perhaps I take it for granted because it has been one of my better investments now that I look back on it.
phonejack

Post by phonejack »

Yep, it is a tsn-1. I got it for my high-power and long range days. I left both of those disciplines when they became an "equipment" game to be competitive. It was fun while it lasted. Traveled a few places doing all of that, Raton, Oklahoma, Mississipe, Louisiana and my home state--Arkansas. (oops, forgot "Perry") Met a few of the "big boys and girls". Most were good people, a few not so much.
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

Nice looking rifle. I like the mag tube attachment and nose cap. I have thought about doing that to my 16" .357.
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

That angled eyepiece on the TSN-1 was great when spotting and scoring when I was on a team. Much better than a straight or 90 degree to me. I have the 25x ler eyepiece on mine, which was fine with a scoring disc, but kinda weak fir me at the range now with say a .22 cal at 100 or more. I'd like a bigger one, but they cost more than the scope did and it was shockingly expensive at the time.

I liked Highpower and still would rather shoot than than any other game, but my back simply won't allow it. I can shoot offhand and prone, but not for 20 minutes at a time, and sitting is impossible. That doesn't leave much, huh? I was just getting decent at it when I had to stop. Sigh.

I can't say much about what the other HP shooters were like because I seldom got to talk to them! That's one game where there isn't much time for socializing. When you're on the line, you're either shooting, getting ready to shoot, or staying quiet for another relay. If working the pits, you're hopping most of the time. In between, you're lugging gear around. I shot off and on for several years and still can't match a lot of names to faces I saw a lot. In contrast, I still haven't shot as many IDPA, IPSC, and 3-gun matches combined, but can tell you more about the other shooters: where this guy works, what that guy shoots, who is having a baby, etc. There, you spend six or eight hours to shoot 120 rounds, use up two minutes to do it, and talk the rest. But in HP you spend eight hours to shoot 50-80 rounds and use every second of it. Silhouette fell somewhere in between. Trap...well, that's different altogether.
phonejack

Post by phonejack »

My back is "gone" too. Some of the notables I met while shooting were 3 generations of the Tubb family,George,son David and David's 2 sons. The kids were teenagers at the time. The 1000 yrd range at Raton is named after George. All 3 generations were fine polite people. Easy to be around. A "funny" I heard George tell before a match was "I once shot a highpower match that lasted 3 months. Winter of '45,all across France and Belgium".
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

That is a good one. Kinda like the airline pilot story of flying into Frankfurt and not satisfying the humorless German air traffic controller with his radio procedure. The controller asked if he had flown into Frankfurt before. The pilot replied "I flew over it many times in the 40s, but no, I never landed".

I regret I never made it to Perry. It's relatively close, so I could have gone if I had made enough effort, but my work schedule would have made it challenging. Even when I was in IL, someone was always organizing a group trip over. I still should go, even to look around. I'd spend too much money though, from the sound of things.
The biggest matches I shot were states and regionals.
Max (aww, what's his name? Middlebury?) from TN shot one or two I was at. When I lived in northern IL and started shooting HP at that time, the league I shot in had a match right before Perry that some of the big boys would come through and shoot on their way to Perry. I think a Krieger or two would shoot the regular match some. That was 1989 or so. I never was close enough or had time enough to talk to any of these people.
The thing I remember most from that time was this club had their sliding targets mounted in pairs and they never were balanced well, so it was a lot of work pulling pit duty.