24"octogon s/s

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
phonejack

24"octogon s/s

Post by phonejack »

When I bought my '92(357) it would not chamber any profile bullet. I was having to single load. After the 3rd range trip it now chambers everthing. I guess it was a "break-in" process. Everthing is slick and good to go. It is fast becoming the most fun gun I have ever owned. Blame,I guess if I run across one in 44 mag I will have to have that too!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 24"octogon s/s

Post by akuser47 »

It is addictive but more fun per bang compared to my semi autos I have been playin the tactical ak's ar's high cap handguns shotguns and so on . I now am goin back to what I started on like my dads 39a and his 336 so I'm now into cowboy guns. Fun to shoot and don't use ammo as much as I did with my semi autos. I might shoot 50 to 100 rounds with my lever now compared to dumpin 500 to 600 rounds a range trip with my semi autos. If you reload you also find yourself startin to keep notes on certain loads and how they performed. at least I have anyways. I love it.
Last edited by akuser47 on 10 Mar 2012 07:23, edited 2 times in total.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

Watch that .357 Rossi. If you let your wife or kids use it, you will HAVE to get that .44 mag because you probably won't get it back.

Niether of my daughters had ever shot a lever action before and both gave it and me some strabge looks as I explained how to use it.

After the first shot it was all grins and a quickly depleated ammo supply. :D
phonejack

Post by phonejack »

The last range trip I took to try out various loads I also packed the chrograph. None of the loads I tried are worth commenting about except this one. 14.0 w/H110. Winchester 158 jacketed hp. This produced accuracy @50yrds to make me confident about being able to take deer or hogs out to 100 yrds. What was suprising though was the velocity. I was expecting much more. It clocked @1400'. But that is OK,since the HP would probably produce a shallow wound at a higher velocity. 16.5 with the same bullet had sticky extraction.
One more thing,I am tickled that the 14.0 load will work in the rifle since it is scary accurate in my smith M28 and a ruger blackhawk. One load works in 3 guns. That is worth a smile anyday!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Jeff H wrote:Watch that .357 Rossi. If you let your wife or kids use it, you will HAVE to get that .44 mag because you probably won't get it back.

Niether of my daughters had ever shot a lever action before and both gave it and me some strabge looks as I explained how to use it.

After the first shot it was all grins and a quickly depleated ammo supply. :D
Good rifle for a kid or a smaller framed newby to develop confidence & skill using a gun that won't break their shoulders & give them a flinch that will take years to get over.
I hate adults who think it's great practical joke to let a kid shoot a gun that will knock him on his backside.
I'm sure many anti gunners start out as kids whose first experience & memory of a gun was being the butt (pun intended) of such a painful joke.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

pricedo wrote:.....I hate adults who think it's great practical joke to let a kid shoot a gun that will knock him on his backside........
That's one I never thought was funny myself. It is dangersous due to the risk of physical injury and embarrassing to the being pranked - especially after they trusted someone who supposed knew something about something. If someone is interested in shooting, I do everything I can to encourage them and everything I can to not discourage them. A new shooter needs someone they can trust to show them how to manage such a serious undertaking as using a firearm - not some idiot.

I have to admit that I haven't shot many full-house .357s through mine. Everything has been standard-level .38s and "light" .357s except for a handful of test loads for a full-power .357 in case need some extra power or range.

The load my 16" is currently zero'd for is a 125 grain LEE RFN or 120 grain LEE 9mm TC over 5.5 grains of W231 and a standard primer (check you manuals and apply all comomon sense before using anyone else's loads - ever). I have to do a iron a "factory crimp" into the front driving band of either to get the best feeding but the round(s) plunk into about an inch at 50 yards and it feels like shooting a .22 LR. While it "feels" like shooting a .22 LR, and even if it isn't a full-house .357, it still packs a lot more punch than a .22 LR.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

My 16" round barrel Rossi 92/357 was shooting high at 25 yards.
I had to completely remove the elevation ramp from the rear sight and let the sight leaf sit directly on the barrel before the Federal "red box" 158 grain FPs would print in the 10-ring.
I use the factory iron sights on my carbines because the ungainly pistol or scout scope apparatus kinda defeats the light and fast pointing aspects of the carbines.
Why do you need a scope to hit the vital zone of a deer at ranges that are usually much less that 100 yards?
How are the factory iron sights with the 24" octagonal barrel guns?
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

phonejack wrote:When I bought my '92(357) it would not chamber any profile bullet. I was having to single load. After the 3rd range trip it now chambers everthing. I guess it was a "break-in" process. Everthing is slick and good to go. It is fast becoming the most fun gun I have ever owned. Blame,I guess if I run across one in 44 mag I will have to have that too!
I found that there was a fair amount of dirt, grit, machining shavings, cosmoline & rust on & in my Rossi lever actions fresh from the faactory.
The amount of gunk varied from gun to gun. Some had very little and some were filthy. But they all had some.
My first task on getting the guns home was a complete stripping a washing of the disassembled parts with dechlorinated brake parts cleaner.
I also scrubbed out the barrel & inside of the magazine tube with the cleaner using a gun cleaning rod and a patch wrapped around a nylon brush.
The cleaner overflow that flowed into the catch bucket was usually very dirty and it was easy to see why the rifle actions were stiff out of the box with all that crud in them.
After that I polished burrs & rough spots off the disassembled parts and inside the receiver housing with an electric drill mounted fine grained grinding stone & emery paper.
I then lubed with Remoil or a similar product while re-assembling the gun.
After dry cycling the action 50-100 times the action was as smooth as butter.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA